Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone done the 100k Service for their MDX? What all is covered in this service? What kind of costs am I looking forward to?

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
You're better off asking 2-3 different dealers this question since they may come up with both different service items as well as different costs for those items.

·
Registered
735 Posts
I am learning there is nothing cheap about owning this car once it gets up there in miles.

You’ll need the timing belt service
New Spark Plugs
Valve check / Adjustment
Oil Change
Tire rotation.

While not part of the 100/105k service but based on my experience your shocks are probably in need to replacement.

this is all thousands of dollars.

TB will go from $1200 to 2200. You can go cheaper and use the Aisin kit and get that installed under $1000 from an independent shop. But I’d use OEM and I’d also change the drive belt and drive pulleys on this.

Spark plugs will go for several hundred at the dealer - but this is an easy DIY. It’s worth buying the tools even if you’ll only do it once.

No idea what a value check - adjustment will go for but assume hundreds. This is an easy DIY but you have to know what you are doing because you can screw up the engine

And then the rest.

the most ridiculous part is the shocks. For 2014+ they do not sell a complete assembly. So you can’t just remove the old and replace with the new. You have to buy the individual parts and then pay for labor to either take apart your old shocks and rebuild or if you buy all new parts you still have to pay labor for them to assemble it before they can install it. For all 4 This is thousands alone.

I seriously doubt I am buying another Acura again. They are making the vehicles too expensive to service.

Basically at the 100k service you can use that cash to buy another used car.

·
Registered
324 Posts
You're better off asking 2-3 different dealers this question since they may come up with both different service items as well as different costs for those items.
Why not ask him to go to independent mechanics or Honda, because the Pilot does share components with the MDX.

Has anyone done the 100k Service for their MDX? What all is covered in this service? What kind of costs am I looking forward to?
Dude... Spark plugs is an easy job. You can knock it down with paying your local chain store for $36 for 6 sparks total... Saves you a few hundred dollars. Timing belt, if the 3rd gen uses it, ask your local trusted Indie mech or go to Honda (Honda will charge less than Acura) or order the kit and DIY while you can (Sacramento County banned DIY on cars recently).

Oil change and tire rotation should cost you much. And I'm hearing the struts too. But Definately do the timing belt first, as you want to have a healthy J35 motor, followed by the struts. Spark plugs can be done at any time around this interval, as its #3 in importance. Do the struts #2 unless you already did them beforehand.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Why not ask him to go to independent mechanics or Honda, because the Pilot does share components with the MDX.
Sure - any competent mechanic can do the service but it's worth checking with Acura dealers to see which items they claim s/b done at the 100K (or 105K) mark.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Don't!
Go with NGK Laser Iridium frm Rock Auto which is OEM. No way you'll buy NGK IR plugs for $6 a piece.
I did from auto zone. I got the NGK Iridium spark plugs from AZ for $24 + tax, for the F23a1 motor in our former 1999 Honda Accord.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Sure - any competent mechanic can do the service but it's worth checking with Acura dealers to see which items they claim s/b done at the 100K (or 105K) mark.
Acura and Honda are the same tbh. I wouldn't be surprized if Honda recommends the same thing.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I did from auto zone. I got the NGK Iridium spark plugs from AZ for $24 + tax, for the F23a1 motor in our former 1999 Honda Accord.

NGK plugs for some older cars are cheaper but not for 3rd gen MDX. Rock Auto sells OEM NGK95350(DILZKR7B11G) for $11.75 each when bought set of 4 plus shipping.

The same plugs from online Acura dealers are $38.70/ea plus shipping.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Depending on the vehicle, the 105K service could include brake fluid bleed if its been +3 years, replacement of serpentine belt with a kit if original, coolant flush, and maybe water pump if it show signs of leaks. The good thing with the 105K service is it is just M.I.D. fluid, filters, and rotations until the 210K service. Then you run into other issues at +105K like alternator, A/C, battery, door actuators, suspension parts, etc...

There were a lot of 2nd Gen MDXs for sale below the 105,000 miles because folks wanted to trade-in compared to doing the this service. Probably the same thing will happen with the 3rd Gen also.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
You can also go to Honda Dealerships in my area they charge way less for the 105K service compared to Acura stealerships… Your MDX engine aka J-Series is nothing fancy and any decent shop can do the T-Belt job on it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts