Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys, this is my first post on this site but I have used it many times in the past; the community here has been great.

My issue: on a trip this past weekend I got a cylinder misfire code on my 2010 MDX (for cylinder #2, as well as codes to check emissions, stability assist, and the AWD system). I took it to the local dealer here, and they tried to diagnose the issue. Here's what happened:

1) Checked/replaced the fuel injector for cylinder #2 - not the issue
2) Ran a compression test on cylinder #2, showed low reading
3) Checked the valves; all looked fine there

They said the next step was to replace the engine. They found one with 95k miles (that they also recommended would need the timing belt / water pump done while they are doing the engine), and it would cost me $8700, plus the ~$900 or so it took doing the fuel injector and valve work.

Does anyone have any recommendations as to what to do next? 9k is an awful lot of money and I get the sense that they just couldn't find the issue. Anybody have any ideas? Thanks in advance!

Dave

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
LOL 9K, That dealership is smoking some good stuff....

For 9K you can buy an entire new block, connecting rods, pistons, rings all OEM Stuff and still be cheaper than 9K fully assembled and installed. That much is 9K.... Heck in some states you can buy an entire 2G MDX for 9K....

·
Registered
962 Posts
Time to put on the brakes and get a second opinion.

Before considering any major work due to supposed low compression, the question "Where is the compression being lost" must be answered.

A cylinder leak-down test will prove if there really is compression loss, and what is causing it. If you really do have low compression in that cylinder, it could be as simple as a tight valve (despite what you were told). Even if it is a burned valve, pulling the head and repairing it should be south of $1K.

Leak down test should be under $100. Ask a few local auto parts stores who does good mechanical diagnosis that you can trust. I worked in auto parts for a number of years, and we knew the good and the bad in town.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Hi Guys, this is my first post on this site but I have used it many times in the past; the community here has been great.

My issue: on a trip this past weekend I got a cylinder misfire code on my 2010 MDX (for cylinder #2, as well as codes to check emissions, stability assist, and the AWD system). I took it to the local dealer here, and they tried to diagnose the issue. Here's what happened:

They said the next step was to replace the engine. They found one with 95k miles (that they also recommended would need the timing belt / water pump done while they are doing the engine), and it would cost me $8700, plus the ~$900 or so it took doing the fuel injector and valve work.

Does anyone have any recommendations as to what to do next? 9k is an awful lot of money and I get the sense that they just couldn't find the issue. Anybody have any ideas? Thanks in advance!

Dave
sorry to hear about these very SERIOUS MDX related woes!!! :surprise:

Just out of curiosity, how much have you already paid/been charged for to have the following done?:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all for the input. I connected with a couple of family friends that work on cars themselves, and identified a supposedly reputable shop fairly close to me, so I'm taking it in there today. I'll report back to let you know what these guys say.
@Priscillababy - the ballpark they gave me was about $900 for that work, but I haven't picked up the car yet so we'll see.

·
Registered
695 Posts
When I saw the headline, I thought they were offering you 9K in trade in value.....good work on getting another opinion from a trusted indy shop.

·
Registered
59 Posts
9k is ridiculous. To me, that is them saying we can't fix it, we don't know what's wrong, we don't want to try anything else, pay us to replace the motor for a ridiculous amount of money.

Second opinion will go a long way.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Thanks all for the input. I connected with a couple of family friends that work on cars themselves, and identified a supposedly reputable shop fairly close to me, so I'm taking it in there today. I'll report back to let you know what these guys say.

@Priscillababy - the ballpark they gave me was about $900 for that work, but I haven't picked up the car yet so we'll see.
Hope your FINAL bill for the initial round (ATTACK/1st degree ASSAULT) of diagnostics doesn't actually exceed $1000K by the time you pick up your car- definitely pay the bill and then FLEE to another stealership/mechanic (as FAST as possible) for a 2nd opinion.....:surprise:

·
Registered
268 Posts
Yikes! I agree with doing a leak-down test, hoping that it's something super easy. I'd hate to have a problem like that, and would want to get it fixed hopefully for less than a grand!

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
Go back to your dealer and this is what you do: tell them in the face “fuk you!”

The told me the same thing that I need a new engine and have one for sale $8,500 around 90k miles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey all, wanted to give an update here. The dealer quoted me a final price of about 10k to drop in an engine with ~80k miles. I ended up getting the the engine re manufactured with all new parts and dropped in for about $6500. I would've likely gone the used engine route, but there is a known issue with these engines that misfire around 100-130k, so I decided that I didn't want to potentially face this issue again with a used engine in 20-40k miles.

There is a class action lawsuit settlement for Honda motors that is essentially this exact same engine misfire issue... but it does not apply to Acura, despite the engine being nearly (if not) identical. You can google it to see the details. One dealer I spoke with said a settlement / lawsuit may be coming on the Acura side-- haven't seen anything yet.

Been a frustrating situation to deal with. Hope not many others are having to go through this headache as well.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Hey all, wanted to give an update here. The dealer quoted me a final price of about 10k to drop in an engine with ~80k miles. I ended up getting the the engine re manufactured with all new parts and dropped in for about $6500. I would've likely gone the used engine route, but there is a known issue with these engines that misfire around 100-130k, so I decided that I didn't want to potentially face this issue again with a used engine in 20-40k miles.

There is a class action lawsuit settlement for Honda motors that is essentially this exact same engine misfire issue... but it does not apply to Acura, despite the engine being nearly (if not) identical. You can google it to see the details. One dealer I spoke with said a settlement / lawsuit may be coming on the Acura side-- haven't seen anything yet.

Been a frustrating situation to deal with. Hope not many others are having to go through this headache as well.
From what I found in google, the class action suit is for the Honda engine with Variable Cylinder Management (VCM-2). Our engine is not VCM at all.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts

Man, you need to do more homework. I have never heard about such issues and I have had my MDX for 11+ years.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts