Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(1) I have a new 2019 MDX Advance, and I have one of those situations where I have an android phone (Note9) and my wife has an iphone (X). When I'm driving, I like to have my phone hooked up so that the Android Auto maps load and Waze starts automatically, unfortunately, there is only 1 data plug in the car, so I have to switch cables from when my wife was driving to hook my phone up. Is there a way to do this through bluetooth? It doesn't want to link for some reason. I tried using a usb splitter to have both cables available, but it won't work. Any other suggestions?

(2) Acura Link - this software is horrible, especially compared to my 2015 Lexus Enform software. You can't locate the vehicle unless it is turned off/stopped and you can't remotely start the car with the app. This is more of a rant, but if anyone from Acura is reading this, you failed big time.

·
Registered
189 Posts
AFAIK, only one phone can be connected to the infotainment system at a time. Other devices can use the other USB ports to charge though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, I know that. What I'm trying to avoid is having to change plugs all the time. Why can't this be done wirelessly through bluetooth?

·
Registered
588 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
I don't believe that CarPlay or Android Auto can work via bluetooth. Every rental I've had with CarPlay requires it to be plugged in......

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Correct there is no wireless aa/cp in the mdx. The data cable issue is unfortunately the problem with multiple cable types not having the wires (and leads on the heads) function similarly for data. So unfortunately you need to just switch out the cables for each phone type. Even if apple moves to usb c one day, i bet we will still have cable data capability issues between brands.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
I don't believe that CarPlay or Android Auto can work via bluetooth. Every rental I've had with CarPlay requires it to be plugged in......
Bmw now offers Bluetooth CarPlay. I’ve heard it’s buggy and they charge an annual fee for it.

·
Registered
108 Posts
You will have to change data cables every time. Some cars offer Carplay and Android auto as different menu option. But for this to work car need to have two data USB ports.

Coming back you your initial problem. Now that Apple also offers Google Maps and Waze on their Carplay you should use those apps when your wife's iPhone is connected.

I know android now offers auto app start when android auto starts. Meaning one default app of your choice will start when android auto stars on car.
Lets hope apple gives something similar in their future updates.

Did you know - When on Carplay in you car. You can ask SIRI to navigate using Google maps or WAZE? I mean you can say "Hey SIRI Navigate to nearest Starbucks using Google Maps". SIRI will open google maps and either navigate or give you options to pick which Starbucks you want to go. I think for you this is closest resolution that you can use.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
:pla-473963149566&psc=1&tag=&ref=&adgrpid=57207177050&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvadid=309821163350&hvpos=1o5&hvnetw=g&hvrand=16070157819720807173&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=aud-801657747996:pla-473963149566[/URL]
This thing should help
Thanks, I have one of those, but unfortunately its almost like switching cables every time

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Android Auto works flawlessly via bluetooth in my 2015 Lexus GS. Acura is just out of touch as usual.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Android Auto wireless is JUST in the beginning stages of rolling out, there are only a handful of expensive aftermarket head units that support wireless android auto. Due to the bandwidth required to support the amount of data being transferred between the phone and the head unit bluetooth isn't sufficient, it needs to be over wifi. Vehicles would need to be built with new components to support wireless android auto, it isn't something that people will magically have access to after updating their Android Auto version. Meaning any existing vehicles requiring USB will likely never get wireless android auto support unless they also upgraded hardware in their vehicle.

I highly doubt a 2015 Lexus GS has the hardware required to implement and support wireless android auto through the factory head unit. Pairing over bluetooth for audio playback and phone calls yes, but that's not android auto.

·
Registered
311 Posts
OP two things I wanna say.

1) Get your wife an Android phone so you guys won't have this issue at all. Android overall is a better OS than iOS, and iOS ain't simple and easy to use (its more restrictive and takes ages to learn). And all new Android phones uses the Type-C connector whereas Apple still uses its own 8-pin lightening connector.

Ps. I use both iOS and Android and iOS just clearly shows all its flaws and downfalls than Android, although Android does have its own set too.
Thanks, I have one of those, but unfortunately its almost like switching cables every time
2) This. Crapyota Motor Co., as I love to hate on a brand that has a lineup of the worlds most boring, bland, ugliest, and now unreliable vehicles in the world, didn't support AA and CrapPlay until 2018. This makes your 2015 Lexus GS not having AA from factory.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Android Auto wireless is JUST in the beginning stages of rolling out, there are only a handful of expensive aftermarket head units that support wireless android auto. Due to the bandwidth required to support the amount of data being transferred between the phone and the head unit bluetooth isn't sufficient, it needs to be over wifi. Vehicles would need to be built with new components to support wireless android auto, it isn't something that people will magically have access to after updating their Android Auto version. Meaning any existing vehicles requiring USB will likely never get wireless android auto support unless they also upgraded hardware in their vehicle.

I highly doubt a 2015 Lexus GS has the hardware required to implement and support wireless android auto through the factory head unit. Pairing over bluetooth for audio playback and phone calls yes, but that's not android auto.
Android Auto starts automatically over bluetooth when I start my Lexus, though not their maps, so no I don't get the full benefit. It will start Pandora right away for audio playback, Waze and phone calls, which is most of what I use. The MDX won't do any of that with my Android.

I tried using a USB hub and even a splitter, but I get a message saying that it won't support usb hubs. :(

·
Registered
608 Posts
a bluetooth connection to a specific device can be a trigger to open android auto on your phone, but that's different then your phone wirelessly transmitting the display to your head unit to display info/maps/audroid auto interface on your head unit. So the full android auto experience meaning you can use the android auto interface and actually control android auto on your phone via your oem head unit, that right now cannot be done wirelessly. Even when this does roll out to vehicles (which it hasn't yet) bluetooth will not have the necessary bandwidth to support the large amount of data your phone needs to transmit to your head unit to display the interface, that will need to be done via wifi.

Remember, android auto is fully run by your phone and your head unit is only a display and/or an input mechanism so you can control it without looking at your phone. So the phone still has to send all the display for the interface as well as maps, music, etc to the head unit for display. That's a lot of data that needs to pass back and forth, and bluetooth was never created for this purpose.

Ultimately back to your initial question, the answer is that unfortunately you cannot have 2 separate devices hooked up and toggle back and forth. And since iphone uses a separate cable with a different connector than android devices, you have no choice but to switch cables whenever you want to fully use the interface. You can stream music over bluetooth but that's it, you won't see the full android auto/car play interface on the screen (press the smartphone button) unless your device is connected to the correct port via a usb cable, and you can only connect 1 device at a time.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Android Auto starts automatically over bluetooth when I start my Lexus, though not their maps, so no I don't get the full benefit. It will start Pandora right away for audio playback, Waze and phone calls, which is most of what I use. The MDX won't do any of that with my Android.

I tried using a USB hub and even a splitter, but I get a message saying that it won't support usb hubs. :(
I literally looked at the Lexus GS forums and sure enough it doesn't offer Android Auto and Carplay.

·
Registered
608 Posts
I literally looked at the Lexus GS forums and sure enough it doesn't offer Android Auto and Carplay.

Right, and if you read more broadly you'll see that prior to this year (2020 MY I believe) Lexus as a brand had NOT rolled out Android Auto or Carplay to ANY of their vehicles. Which means it's impossible for any Lexus from 2019 and prior to have Android Auto or Carplay. A bluetooth connection can open android auto on the phone but that doesn't mean you can control it via your oem head unit

·
Registered
2,795 Posts

This is not Android auto. This is Bluetooth auto start. No Lexus vehicles have Android auto to begin with. Not until 2020 at the earliest. The ability for Pandora to launch on detection of device is really Pandora's problem. It has always been inconsistent for different devices and vehicles. There is an auto launch in vehicle option in the settings but that can be rather annoying sometimes.

As for what you mentioned about the phone, waze and other things, we need to know what os version you are on, as there are differences for the Android auto app on the phone. If you not on 10 for example, you are still using the app itself. If that's the case, in the settings there is auto launch by connection. Things are just different with the BT stack, Pandora compatibility, and the Android Auto app between Android 8 (oreo) and Android 9 (pie).

So, we need more information and there may be some user error here.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
311 Posts
Right, and if you read more broadly you'll see that prior to this year (2020 MY I believe) Lexus as a brand had NOT rolled out Android Auto or Carplay to ANY of their vehicles. Which means it's impossible for any Lexus from 2019 and prior to have Android Auto or Carplay. A bluetooth connection can open android auto on the phone but that doesn't mean you can control it via your oem head unit
Thats correct. Also, it doesnt have the capability to screen cast the phone to the headunit, so I am skeptical on why OP is making the claim that the POS Lexus has AA? Maybe he is confusing it with the OEM Lexus Navi or the Android Auto app.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Thats correct. Also, it doesnt have the capability to screen cast the phone to the headunit, so I am skeptical on why OP is making the claim that the POS Lexus has AA? Maybe he is confusing it with the OEM Lexus Navi or the Android Auto app.

Precisely. OP is either referring to bluetooth launching pandora or some other app, or it launching android auto app on their phone. In either event, this isn't broadcasting the display to the head unit to allow you to fully control your phone through your car including seeing google maps or waze navigation from your phone on your head unit. OP is likely confused as to what we mean by having "Android Auto" or "Carplay" support in the vehicle.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Precisely. OP is either referring to bluetooth launching pandora or some other app, or it launching android auto app on their phone.
It is a bluetooth launch of Android Auto on my phone through the Lexus (which includes Pandora and Waze), that's what I was saying. As I mentioned, it does not control the 12" screen with maps or takeover the whole head unit, however, because Android Auto integrates Pandora, phone calls and texts, my screen will show what song Pandora is playing, phone calls and texts, which is standard on the Lexus GS for those functions. I don't expect you to know that about a vehicle you don't own.

Regarding the 2 wires to the single data port, I'm not trying to run 2 phones at once into the data source. Only trying to make it simpler to plug the phone in since my wife and I have different phones/plugs. And even if we were both were in the vehicle, only 1 of us would/could hook into the data port.

Let's not get too overly sensitive. o_O

1 - 20 of 23 Posts