Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
WoW WHAT A WINTER WONDERLAND! I woke up to a pristine white out here in Baltimore County this morning. The local news and the weather channel are predicting up to 2 ft of snow.:eek: It is snowing more than an inch an hour.:eek: I am so anxious to take the MDX out but I think I will pass.........that's the smart thing to do right?

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Looking at 12-20" here in South Jersey between this morning and Monday around dinnertime. I don't plan on going out.

·
Registered
8,866 Posts
Yeah! I can call out on Tuesday!

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
laborlitigator said:
Yeah! I can call out on Tuesday!
Can you put up some pics of the white stuff? Although we don't get to see it much here, its always interesting to see what your having to deal with. Hope you can stay safe in it.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
taken a few minutes ago from a second floor windows looking out the side of the house...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Taken last Friday when we received 8 1/2" between 9pm Thursday night and noon Friday.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,866 Posts
Boy, you guys got hit harder than we did up here. . .

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Enjoying the snow last week...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
December snow (old car pictured)...

We've gotten our fair share of snow this year. If I wanted to live like this I would've moved next door to Tim

:)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
right now - not to hospitable out.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,738 Posts

Good Grief! Hope you guys have heating. I guess the bright side of this is that you have the X to get you from point A to point B. BTW, do your homes there have full size basements? When I lived in Utah, the winters were bearable because we had full size basements where you could pass the long hours away with games, exercise rooms, and of course, the home theatre.
Hang in there!

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
greatscot said:

Good Grief! Hope you guys have heating. I guess the bright side of this is that you have the X to get you from point A to point B. BTW, do your homes there have full size basements? When I lived in Utah, the winters were bearable because we had full size basements where you could pass the long hours away with games, exercise rooms, and of course, the home theatre.
Hang in there!
Funny your should mention that. Yes, we have a basement but it's only under 1/2 the house and a friend and I are currently finishing it off. It will be a kids playroom/home theater with approx 350 sq ft of heated, finished living space and a LOT of closets/storage. I'm trying to make best use of a limited area.

Since we're gettin' to know each other a little, you ever listen to Fish, former frontman for Marillion? I've been a fan for 20 years and seen him solo on 3 occasions. He's from Scotland and many of his songs relate to his heritage including Internal Exile from his first solo album. Excellent if you've never heard it.

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
crmsnidol said:

you ever listen to Fish, former frontman for Marillion? I've been a fan for 20 years and seen him solo on 3 occasions. He's from Scotland and many of his songs relate to his heritage including Internal Exile from his first solo album. Excellent if you've never heard it.
Haven't heard of Fish, but I'm doing a search now, thanks for the tip.
Got lots of Steve McDonald, Dougie Maclean, Runrig, etc.

When doing that basement, be sure to get some styrofoam insulation sheets, some 1/2'x2' wood strips, a good grade poly cover over it all, then you can sheetrock like crazy befor painting. Personally, I think paneling is not an ideal finish in a basement.

I'm off looking for Fish.:4:

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
greatscot said:

Haven't heard of Fish, but I'm doing a search now, thanks for the tip.
Got lots of Steve McDonald, Dougie Maclean, Runrig, etc.

When doing that basement, be sure to get some styrofoam insulation sheets, some 1/2'x2' wood strips, a good grade poly cover over it all, then you can sheetrock like crazy befor painting. Personally, I think paneling is not an ideal finish in a basement.

I'm off looking for Fish.:4:
Thanks for the tips. We're actually using R13 in the walls, R11 above the drop ceiling between the floor joists for sound insulation and I'll be putting up a vapor barrier before the drywall goes up.

Pre-wiring for all surround speakers and a ceiling-mounted LCD projector (future purchase). Also wiring for cable, phone and ethernet (already purchased a linksys 5-port switch to tie into existing network. All recepticles will be Leviton low-profile decora series and I'll have 3 banks for hi-hats on 700-watt dimmers with the projection area on it's own. Next to a 17' run of closets, I'll have a 3' wide by 6' high A/V shelf on rollers that I can access the rear of from a closet. We'll wire for 2 or 3 dedicated recepticles in there. All of the speaker, VGA and ethernet drops will be handled inside.

I did this schematic in Punch Pro! but it's not exact. It's close though.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
crmsnidol said:
Looking at 12-20" here in South Jersey between this morning and Monday around dinnertime. I don't plan on going out.
Question, why isn't the MDX parked in the garage?

From the looks of it you have wood in the stall where the X should go. Why not have the CR-V in the snow with the X in the warm garage? Or is the CR-V the wife's?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Now predicting 3 feet!!!

The 3pm prediction is for 18 to 36 inches!!! Thankfully our OTHER vehicle is a John Deere tractor with a loader - forget the plow!!

Attached photos are from INSIDE the house where most X owners should be right now :7:

The news this morning showed a Ford Escape that had run into the back of a snowplow - :32:- looked like the jerk just about totaled the thing! He must have forgotten - 4 wheel drive but still 2 wheel stopping!!

More pics later. Our SS X is next to the snow and car covered SLK which soon will just be another snow bank.

Barb

Attachments

·
Registered
8,866 Posts
greatscot said:

Hang in there!
Most homes in the NE have basements. . . in our case, we finished ours 2 years ago.

·
Registered
1 Posts
We are just outside of DC and we have about 2 feet on the ground already with a possibility of another foot (or more)!

:eek: :eek: :eek:

About ten minutes ago, a Chevy Suburban and a Nissan Pathfinder just drove through our neighborhood which hasn't been plowed yet! They both negotiated the street with no problems. I have to say that I was impressed! Any MDX owners venture out in this stuff yet? I'm curious because I am seriously considering an MDX in the summer and would really like to know how it handles in serious snow.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts