Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Bought an '09 with 156k miles with tech and entertainment package the other day at auction. Battery was stone dead although it looked fairly new (and plastic engine cover was missing). Jumped it with cables and started it after charging for several minutes.

Wouldn't shift out of park. Noticed the small plastic tab next to the shift lever was missing, so I stuck a key into it and was able to shift it. Drove it around the parking lot and the engine was fine and it shifted fine from 1st through 3rd (couldn't go faster in lot).

So I bought it for a good price I guess since I was the only person who bothered to jump it and drive it. My nephew drove it back to our place and the cruise control wasn't working, or the brake lights, and the VSB-AWD light was on. So we discovered that a fuse under the hood was missing, I think #13 (trailer brake?). Put a fuse in and everything worked. Brake lights, cruise, and VSB-ABS light out. Also, the horn fuse was missing. Put a fuse in it and it worked fine. 2 fuses missing?

Also, the Bluetooth would not pair with his iPhone or my Android. I found the thread about "baking the HFL" and successfully did it today. Works fine now.

My biggest question is, why would the 2 fuses be missing and the engine cover? I'm thinking the previous owner had a serious battery drain problem caused by the HFL and they were pulling fuses to try to find the culprit.

What do you think?

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
First problem is that HFL needs to be unplugged or replaced.. There is a video on YouTube just search "MDX HFL Unit" and it will tell you how to unplug it.
Second problem sounds like you need to replace the Brake Switch Actuator so the Shift Lever can unlock.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
First problem is that HFL needs to be unplugged or replaced.. There is a video on YouTube just search "MDX HFL Unit" and it will tell you how to unplug it.
Second problem sounds like you need to replace the Brake Switch Actuator so the Shift Lever can unlock.
No, I baked the HFL and it's working fine for now. I removed it, took it apart and put it in the oven at 385 degrees for 9 minutes. It works fine with pairing the phone now, but I'm concerned it may still drain the battery like some have said.

The shift problem was fixed by replacing a missing fuse. I checked the brake switch, it was fine.

Do you have a reading comprehension problem? Lol

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Do you have a problem?
I´m curious since you seem to have fixed your issues what is the point of this thread? Seems like you are capable enough.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm wondering why they removed the 2 fuses. We're they burning out or were they trying to isolate the problem?

I just "fixed" the HFL today, and I'm wondering if the battery drain will continue. I've read people saying it draws power continuously. That's my biggest concern.

Basically, the problem with the HFL is the ****ty solder. But, I've heard it can cause battery drain also, even when working correctly as now.

The shift problem, I'm wondering why they would remove the fuse.

What year model do you have? Have you had any if these problems?

Sorry if I offended you, was just joking.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Based on my limited experience I can provide a guess at one of them and then speculate on the others

Battery terminal cover missing. Last week i tried to change my battery and screwed up by overtightning the clamp which resulted in the positive terminal coming loose at any movement and subsequently resulted in me getting the car which i hadnt even owned for 24 hours towed back home as it was a Saturday night. On Monday my mechanic fixed it by cutting the terminal and putting in a new one. The cover was not put back on. I am not sure whether it was attached to the old terminal or not but it is relatively inexpensive so i got another but it was a generic one. I actually believe that because the replacement clamp is massive, th oem one would not fit over it. So my guess is that the battery was changed ans either the cover was broken or the person forgot to reattach it.

As for fuses. My guess is someone was troubleshooting and the fuses kept blowing so he/she left it. Furthermore it is possible another fuse blew and they borrowed from those to get another part of the car going. If the fuse doesnt blow again, the latter may be a palatable explanation.

As for HFL and battery drain it seems like most issues that relates to this happen on the 2007 model year. Time will tell whether the bakig fixed it long term.

As for car not starting, two of the dealerships i visited had to boost the battery so that i could test drive. They claimed the car was on the lot for a while which is not a great sign.

Can you share what you paid for the car?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the reply.

Like I said, my main concern is if it keeps blowing fuses, then what? Is it related to the battery drain? Is the HFL causing the battery drain?

This is the first MDX I've bought, so I'm not familiar with them although I've heard they are good vehicles. My brother-in-law has 2 of them and they've been good vehicles as far as I know.

I bought the vehicle for around "rough trade-in", which is pretty much the shape it was in mechanically. The body and interior are good, although the interior noise and ride are much worse that the '06 Lexus GX470 I also have.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts