Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
i had my sunroof looked at again last november (among other things). they decided to do the opposite of lubing. they cleaned the tracks of all the prior grease/lube they used (thinking that perhaps it's all the lube that is causing it to bind), re-aligned the glass and tested it like crazy (they opened and closed it like 100 times). so far it's behaving.

·
Registered
17 Posts
"..........I used the door controls to close the windows, but the sunroof pop-up would not close. The manual indicates this feature can be initiated with the door key. I then used the door key control, which closed the pop-up sunroof! Must be a glitch in the window master control module!
wife had heavy rain on the way home from work, tried closing the moonroof (it was in the tilted up) position

push the close control, and it would go down then pop back up

if you have the same issue, park the car, use the drivers door lock
-turn counter clockwise to lock the doors
-turn and hold it counter clockwise a second time and it will roll up the windows, and close the moonroof

(it's in the owners manual, showing two ways to close the moonroof)

side note, we've never had issues with the moonroof before, this is the first time, and wondering if it is water sensitive

** all you other owners who had issues with the moonroof not closing and poping back up.. did you try to use the drivers door key method? **

·
Registered
274 Posts
I've tried using the key turn in the drivers door to close the sun roof from tilt and it also does not work. I have experiences the same issue recently with tilt not closing. I'm somewhat concerned as winter is arriving shortly and we have some warm and cold days this time of year. Has this issue been resolved or have members of this forum just grown to live with this nuisance. I would like to k of as I would like to Follow-up with a letter to the CFO of Honda Canada and ask why this issue has not been resolved and why Honda has not recalled there vehicles to fix this issue. Any and all responses would be welcomed. Apologies for bringinh back an old post.

Thank you and I look forward to your replies.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I would also like to comment that I cleaned the outside of the sunroof rubber edge and applied a small amount of grease in case the sensor was providing a false positive for obstruction during when the sun roof closes.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Recently developed this issue with '11 MDX. Have occasionally made a point of opening/closing to prevent the seal from binding/deterioration.

I'm not hearing any slow-down or straining in the mechanism (if it was binding with the seal), and am pretty sure it is related to a sensor pr switch issue.

I do wonder if the Defelctor issue, mentioned above, results in a sensor being re-positioned...?

... and the resurrection continues...

BTW - FWIW, I have become pretty disgusted with Acura over the past few years (with my '11 X). You KNOW you have a problem when the standard response from service people is "they all do that".

This is my 3rd & last Acura. I got an extended warranty from the factory rep (due to my *****ing about bad transmission shifts from the day I got the car... took them over a year to issue a Firmware update), so will continue driving the car until that expires. I suppose Acura does not realize how it impacts future sales when current owners are so disenfranchised with their brand/vehicles. I know I have impacted 5 friends'/neighbors'/tire place manager when they have asked me if I like my car...

Really unfortunate, as the "bones" of the MDX seem to be being let down by poor assembly and communications to (and training of) dealerships.

russ

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'll bring up this old thread. I took my 2012 MDX in today for the sunroof won't close when it in the tilt position. Happens when it is cold but when it is hot it will close. Dealer said i was out of warranty at 59,000 miles just under 5 years. They say that the rubber gasket seal has dried out and is binding. The fix is to replace the sunroof and gasket for $875. I will skip it and just dump this MDX. Currently talking to them about replacing the transmission (hopefully under warranty). This is the 5th acura i've had but never with this many problems.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Recently developed this issue with '11 MDX. Have occasionally made a point of opening/closing to prevent the seal from binding/deterioration.

I'm not hearing any slow-down or straining in the mechanism (if it was binding with the seal), and am pretty sure it is related to a sensor pr switch issue.

I do wonder if the Defelctor issue, mentioned above, results in a sensor being re-positioned...?

... and the resurrection continues...

BTW - FWIW, I have become pretty disgusted with Acura over the past few years (with my '11 X). You KNOW you have a problem when the standard response from service people is "they all do that".

This is my 3rd & last Acura. I got an extended warranty from the factory rep (due to my *****ing about bad transmission shifts from the day I got the car... took them over a year to issue a Firmware update), so will continue driving the car until that expires. I suppose Acura does not realize how it impacts future sales when current owners are so disenfranchised with their brand/vehicles. I know I have impacted 5 friends'/neighbors'/tire place manager when they have asked me if I like my car...

Really unfortunate, as the "bones" of the MDX seem to be being let down by poor assembly and communications to (and training of) dealerships.

russ
Acura is a decent 'entry level' car period (with emphasis on ENTRY!!)

Having previously mainly driven Japanese cars, primarily honda and then only Acura for years, i took a plunge to the German side (Mercedes and Audi) a couple years ago- in summary Acura just isn't ready to play with the big boys just yet :(..still a decent car, but just not there yet (quality wise)

·
Registered
278 Posts
I have had this with every single vehicle with a sunroof.

The issue is that the tracks need every year or two to be cleaned and greased. You can visit the dealer or a mechanic or re grease the tracks yourself.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Acura is a decent 'entry level' car period (with emphasis on ENTRY!!)

Having previously mainly driven Japanese cars, primarily honda and then only Acura for years, i took a plunge to the German side (Mercedes and Audi) a couple years ago- in summary Acura just isn't ready to play with the big boys just yet :(..still a decent car, but just not there yet (quality wise)
I think the definition of an entry level car is fairly subjective, dependent on one's perspective and environment. For instance...for me, the MDX would not be considered entry level, because I had a Nissan Sentra years ago. That would be entry level to me. But then a Pinto owner would tell me the Sentra is not entry level compared to that. So it is really hard to say. The MDX has much more "creature comforts" and cool features and has been reliable so far for me (first used car where I didn't have significant problem within the first 1-2 months - actually both my MDXes have been relatively problem free for anything serious) and the build quality is far better than the Sentra. I just bought a BMW as well and I will say, while the handling and response is great, I don't see enough of a significant difference in build quality that would relegate the Acura to entry level status, with the exception of the paint - BMW has a 12-year warranty on the paint and I do know Acuras/Hondas can and are prone to rust (not as bad as a Mazda though). Our Sentra, while we bought it new, had so many quality issues since we picked it up (too many to list here - most of which are inconsequential to safety, etc, but are still indicative of QC issues). I find the MDX (at least my 2008) to be more than decent overall. Of course, that is just my humble two cents and as my kids constantly remind me, I have been wrong before.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
I think the definition of an entry level car is fairly subjective, dependent on one's perspective and environment. For instance...for me, the MDX would not be considered entry level, because I had a Nissan Sentra years ago. That would be entry level to me. But then a Pinto owner would tell me the Sentra is not entry level compared to that. So it is really hard to say. The MDX has much more "creature comforts" and cool features and has been reliable so far for me (first used car where I didn't have significant problem within the first 1-2 months - actually both my MDXes have been relatively problem free for anything serious) and the build quality is far better than the Sentra. I just bought a BMW as well and I will say, while the handling and response is great, I don't see enough of a significant difference in build quality that would relegate the Acura to entry level status, with the exception of the paint - BMW has a 12-year warranty on the paint and I do know Acuras/Hondas can and are prone to rust (not as bad as a Mazda though). Our Sentra, while we bought it new, had so many quality issues since we picked it up (too many to list here - most of which are inconsequential to safety, etc, but are still indicative of QC issues). I find the MDX (at least my 2008) to be more than decent overall. Of course, that is just my humble two cents and as my kids constantly remind me, I have been wrong before.
sorry, I had completely and inadvertantly LEFT out an important word while making the previous statement/conclusion- entry level luxury

yes nissan, honda, chevy don't count- those are true contenders for ENTRY level period.

here's my personal break down for luxury cars:

ENTRY level luxury
:
Acura (so much potential, but poor design leaders and not enough risk/quality render this brand into yielding 'glorified hondas'), BMW (while they do have luxury level/quality paint/great rust resistance properties- too many quality concerns- especially BMW vehicles' reputation for spontaneous electrical fires!!!), Cadillac (still GM- therefore related to Chevy- which by default means quality concerns!! LOL), Infinity, Lexus (could be borderline BIG BOY lol)

BIG BOY luxury:
Audi, Mercedes-Benz, Jaguar, Porsche, Tesla

BALLER luxury (not in the majority of our lifetimes!):
Aston Martin, Bentley, Ferrari, Lamborghini, Maserati, McLaren, Rolls Royce

·
Registered
169 Posts
sorry, I had completely and inadvertantly LEFT out an important word while making the previous statement/conclusion- entry level luxury

yes nissan, honda, chevy don't count- those are true contenders for ENTRY level period.

here's my personal break down for luxury cars:

ENTRY level luxury
:
Acura (so much potential, but poor design leaders and not enough risk/quality render this brand into yielding 'glorified hondas'), BMW (while they do have luxury level/quality paint/great rust resistance properties- too many quality concerns- especially BMW vehicles' reputation for spontaneous electrical fires!!!), Cadillac (still GM- therefore related to Chevy- which by default means quality concerns!! LOL), Infinity, Lexus (could be borderline BIG BOY lol)

BIG BOY luxury:
Audi, Mercedes-Benz, Jaguar, Porsche, Tesla

BALLER luxury (not in the majority of our lifetimes!):
Aston Martin, Bentley, Ferrari, Lamborghini, Maserati, McLaren, Rolls Royce
Very subjective, but Tesla is most definitely not luxury (though it does cost a lot). Fit and finish, especially the interior, is garbage, and needs to come a long way to compete with the BMW/Mercedes/Audis of the world.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Very subjective, but Tesla is most definitely not luxury (though it does cost a lot). Fit and finish, especially the interior, is garbage, and needs to come a long way to compete with the BMW/Mercedes/Audis of the world.
That's a fair argument- I've never been in a Tesla before (not including one of the mall shops/dealerships) and I have to admit that the exterior styling/components look quite 'KIA-ish
' especially for a car that typically starts off at about $70K US new! :surprise:

so, yes we can cross 'Tesla' off of the 'BIG BOY luxury' car list- it belongs on the 'BIG BOY/deep pockets' car list. :grin:

·
Registered
1 Posts
wife had heavy rain on the way home from work, tried closing the moonroof (it was in the tilted up) position

push the close control, and it would go down then pop back up

if you have the same issue, park the car, use the drivers door lock
-turn counter clockwise to lock the doors
-turn and hold it counter clockwise a second time and it will roll up the windows, and close the moonroof

(it's in the owners manual, showing two ways to close the moonroof)

side note, we've never had issues with the moonroof before, this is the first time, and wondering if it is water sensitive

** all you other owners who had issues with the moonroof not closing and poping back up.. did you try to use the drivers door key method? **
August 18/2019 - I have a 2008 MDX Elite and this starting happening. Thanks to you tip with the key counter clockwise it worked !!! I did have to put a little hand pressure on the sunroof while doing this but it worked perfectly, thank you for posting the tip and your assistance :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Guys, i think that you are all wrong on this as this is not an issue at all, there is a special way to close the sunroof when it is in the tilt open position.

To close it simply push the button UP (not forward or reverse) just apply pressure on the button itself UP, do not move the button.

This is the way to close the sunroof when tilted, it also opens the sunroof to the tilt position doing that way.

Then if you want to open or close the sunroof, then it is ok to push-move the button forward or reverse.

Try it.....it works everytime doing so.
Hope this help.
Worked just like you said thank you so much

41 - 55 of 55 Posts