Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I wonder if the obstruction sensor is too sensitive. Next time when it closes try to aid the sunroof close by pushing the window close with your hand.

Is there any re-sync on the sunroof, like in the side windows, where you need to hold the window switch closed for a couple of seconds to re-sync the sensor?

AC

revival...anyone else with this issue.

just discovered this one today (mind you its maybe 70* out and a real chance of rain). put the sunroof on tilt on my 09 this AM. went to try and close it driving home since the clouds look pretty threatening, (push fwd on button) all it did was close and open back up. tried to open the sunroof all the way by pushing back on the button, all the sunroof did was close and re-open. WTF?! pushed fwd on it again close then open. ugh. got home, parked, turned off the engine. push forward on button again and it finally closed.

haven't messed with it again since there is threat of rain...last thing i need is a sunroof that won't close all the way.

apparently this happens on the 4G TL's as well:

Sunroof Tilt Up Stuck on a Hot Day! - AcuraZine Community

this is annoying.

my TL NEVER (knock on wood) has a problem. hmmm...add to my list of things for the dealer to look at.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I wonder if the obstruction sensor is too sensitive. Next time when it closes try to aid the sunroof close by pushing the window close with your hand.

Is there any re-sync on the sunroof, like in the side windows, where you need to hold the window switch closed for a couple of seconds to re-sync the sensor?

AC
after reading through this thread and other thread for the 4G TLs...its been tried, but it doesn't work. the problem comes back. i've read on another thread someone tried to "help" it...didn't work.

it was weird. i haven't played with my sunroof, since the weather is unstable right now. i don't want to risk NOT being able to get it closed. next time i go to ther dealer i'll be sure to play with it and see if it acts up again so i can show them. i also read that some RDX owners had a similar issue as well. i'm really surprised there is not a TSB for this.

·
Registered
30 Posts
2008 MDX Sport with 43k miles is at the dealer today for stuck sunroof, power steering pump and Comfort / Sport light not working on switch.

Acura quality getting questionable? Good thing I'm still under warranty!

·
Registered
349 Posts
Got the same issue as well. Plan on having them take a look when I go in for that catalytic converter recall thing. As well as the comfort\sport light being out, and memory seats not always working.

Under warranty so not too worried, and I have the extended Acura Care.

Whenever it has happened, I just reach out the driver window and push it down while using the switch.

·
Registered
393 Posts
2008 MDX Sport with 43k miles is at the dealer today for stuck sunroof, power steering pump and Comfort / Sport light not working on switch.

Acura quality getting questionable? Good thing I'm still under warranty!
What are the symptoms of your power steering pump issue? Wonder if I have the same annoyances.

·
Registered
30 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
ok, is this a glitch? I am seeing this:

When open the tilt (pushing up), the moon roof tilts up. But when pushing the button forward (auto close), the roof would try and close then open up again. The old way to get the tilted roof to close is to push the button forward slightly, NOT engaging auto close.

Is this normal?

·
Registered
258 Posts
^^NO. my TL doesn't do this. my brother's MDX doesn't do this. THe accord we have doesn't do this. my MDX as well as many others...have this wacky sunroof quirk that does not want to close from the tilt function. regardless of auto close or gently pushing the button fwd. i've tried opening the sunroof from the tilt function when the sunroof was behaving like this and it would just close then open back in tilt. i have not opened my sunroof nor used the tilt function since this incident until i take the car to the dealer.

this appears to not only be a MDX thing, but cases of this possessed sunroof activity has been noted on the RDX, 4GTL, and 2GTSX forums. the problem appears to be some sort of gasket/rubber stripping that is getting caught in the tracks of the sunroof. it is an intermittent occurence. when i go to the dealer for service i will commence to play with my sunroof to see if i can reproduce the issue. otherwise i do not think they will do anything until it actually happens unless they have heard of the problem and know of the proper fix.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I see. Mine does it 100% of the time. There is no way to close the tilt with auto close (full forward push). I can only close it using manual close (slight forward push). Sounds like I need to get this checked out.

·
Registered
258 Posts
mealto-have you tried to go from tilt to opening the sunroof? what does it do? my TL will go from tilt to opening the sunroof no problem. i don't open my sunroof as much with all the crap that floats around in the air in my area as much as i love a fresh breeze. plus my interior stays cleaner.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Yes, going from tilt to auto open works fine. The only issue I am having is from Tirt to Auto Close. I rarely use tilt but thought I should get it fixed before the warranty runs out. Is this fixable?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I happened to be standing near my 2008 MDX this morning, when all the windows went down & the sunroof opened by them selves! I used the door controls to close the windows, but the sunroof pop-up would not close. The manual indicates this feature can be initiated with the door key. I then used the door key control, which closed the pop-up sunroof! Must be a glitch in the window master control module!

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
Auto close on sunroof when tilted up

Just a follow up after having the glass replaced several months ago. When tilted up the auto close would close and pop back up. Well, even with the new glass this has started happening again. My dealer has now had my 08 MDX for the past four weeks and has replaced just about everything else with the sunroof and the problem is still present. This has also created another problem, when I take my X threw a car wash the sunroof leaks, I had puddles of water on the front drivers and passenger side floor. I have asked for the A puller trim and the head liner to be replaced as it has been stained by all the water that has been coming in. I will p date again after I get myX back, if I get it back. :headshake

·
Registered
258 Posts
thanks for the update. my dealer's first attempt to fix mine failed. they cleaned teh tracks, re-lubed them, realigned the glass and the tracks. appreantly it was working nicely when the car was with them the day i took it to them when they did all of this.

next day, pick up the car, drive home....ugh...doing it again. i told my SA...he said bring it back and we'll fix it....again. i hope they dont' get it to the point like yours where it leaked (no offense). i'll find out when i take it back in a couple of months along with my driver's seat rocking and my side mirror actuators which are all wacky.

has anyone had a fix from the dealer that worked?

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
Sunroof

The dear still has it, i haven't gotten a call from them in a few days so i'm not sure were we stand at this point. Yeah, i had both morror acuators placed on mine as well. other than taht it has been a good suv. I just wish that this sunroof issue would get fixed and stay fixed. LOL. i have to laugh or else I will go crazy. It's been three years of taking it back to the dealer to get this issue repaired. I get a loaner evertime time but it is still a hassle.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Hey everyone, I had forgotten about this thread. I had mine repaired. They replaced the deflector assembly.

I used to go to Park Ave, which was closer to my old home. They were never able to diagnose the issue. I tried out Springfield Acura, since it's closer to my new home, and they figured it out.

Replaced under warranty.

Here's the part,

DEFLECTOR ASSEMBLY. ROOF SLIDE COMPONENTS. Acura MDX (2007 - 2013) # 70500-STX-A01

·
Registered
5 Posts
I really need to check this forum more often...if only I had more time.

I had this issue about 1 year into ownership of our 08. Like others, the dealer lubed it, then reprogrammed it and it always comes back. I do think it has to do with the lubrication, but also likely due to the design and/or mfg as well where minute tolerances come into play that cause some MDXs to have this problem while others do not.
Unfortunately our MDX if no longer in warranty, so unless it becomes a big issue where I can't close it in the rain, I likely won't address it.

pr3rak77 - I'm looking forward to seeing how your latest attempt holds up in preventing recurrence.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I really need to check this forum more often...if only I had more time.

I had this issue about 1 year into ownership of our 08. Like others, the dealer lubed it, then reprogrammed it and it always comes back. I do think it has to do with the lubrication, but also likely due to the design and/or mfg as well where minute tolerances come into play that cause some MDXs to have this problem while others do not.
Unfortunately our MDX if no longer in warranty, so unless it becomes a big issue where I can't close it in the rain, I likely won't address it.

pr3rak77 - I'm looking forward to seeing how your latest attempt holds up in preventing recurrence.
Honestly I don't think the lube has anything to do with. The two separate times I took it, I got explanation about it being very sensitive to something blocking it, so it popped back up, and there was a ton of lube put on it each visit.

Once the second dealer replaced the deflector assembly it was all good. So far no issues.

As for closing it when it wasn't working, I believe many of us that had this issue were able to reach out the window with one hand an push it down while using the tilt close switch. So at least you don't need two people.

21 - 40 of 55 Posts