Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all. i have an issue with my '08 mdx's sunroof. when it's in the tilt position, i will have a b*tch of a time trying to close it. the roof would close, and then goes back to the tilt position. i tried closing (by pushing the button forward), and opening it completely (by pulling the button backward). no luck at all. it will take approximately 15-20 tries before it eventually close. this only happens once awhile, and there is no problem closing when the sunroof is wide open. what gives?

a couple of week ago the dealer replaced both the mirror actuators to fix the memory seats/mirrors problem. i mentioned it to the tech, and he came back telling me it was a lubrication issue. well, clearly this is not the case.

has anyone experienced this, and have a possible solution? greatly appreicated. thanks! :29:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Same sunroof problem

I have an 08 MDX that I've had for just over two years. I had the same exact problem with my sunroof. I have taken it to the dealership twice, both times they just took it apart and added more grease. I finally figured out that I can close it from the tilt position by pushing the button part of the way (not all the way to the auto-close position). You just have to keep it held until it closes, which isn't long since it's just going from tilt to close. I'm not satisfied with Acura's inability to really fix this issue, but I found a work around so it's not too bad. I hope this helps! If you get Acura to really fix this issue please let me know what they did. I've got 45K on mine and would love to have them really fix this before my warranty runs out.

Do be careful, I had some leakage from my sunroof early on. I think this could have been from when I thought it was closing and had already shut the inner cover not realizing that it wasn't closed all the way.

They also replaced one of the electrical components for a side mirror the first time I took it in for the sunroof issue.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
^^ thank you very much. that tip will help a lot down the road, if acura can't fix the issue. i will be seeing them in 2 weeks, so whatever they figure out, i will post it. thanks again!

·
Registered
7 Posts
My 08 MDX has the same problem, it occurs about half of the time. The dealer has looked at the problem once during scheduled maintenance, and I'll have them look again the next time. I have found that pushing the sunroof button to the back position so the sunroof slides back seems to help get out of the tilt loop. I would guess that it is a sensor alignment problem.

-roger

·
Registered
101 Posts
For the sunroof: The problem is sunroof seal binds when closing. Solution: replace sunroof with new seal part # 70200-STX-A01.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
For the sunroof: The problem is sunroof seal binds when closing. Solution: replace sunroof with new seal part # 70200-STX-A01.
Wowowow. Thanks alot!! Not to have any doubts in the fix, is there some sort of bulletin from Honda/Acura? Unless there is some sort of documents from the manufacturer, the dealer will probably tell me to fly a kite, since the vehicle is still under warranty.

Thanks!!! :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
It sounds like cleaning/lubricating the sunroof seal and the roof where it contacts the seal might solve the problem. I'll try that soon. Interestingly I used to do that with sunroofs in prior cars with Turtle Wax Clear Guard Protectant, but have not yet done so for my MDX.

-roger

·
Registered
270 Posts
Guys, i think that you are all wrong on this as this is not an issue at all, there is a special way to close the sunroof when it is in the tilt open position.

To close it simply push the button UP (not forward or reverse) just apply pressure on the button itself UP, do not move the button.

This is the way to close the sunroof when tilted, it also opens the sunroof to the tilt position doing that way.

Then if you want to open or close the sunroof, then it is ok to push-move the button forward or reverse.

Try it.....it works everytime doing so.
Hope this help.

·
Registered
101 Posts
The dealer confirmed this is an issue. There's no special way to close your sun roof but a normal way. I just got this issue fixed this morning and this is what the work order says:
"FOUND SUNROOF SEAL BINDS WHEN CLOSING REPLACE SUN ROOF GLASS WITH NEW SEAL AND RETEST AFTER SERVICE VEHICLE CHECKS OK". My X is still under warranty so I didn't even pay attention to the cost.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Guys, i think that you are all wrong on this as this is not an issue at all, there is a special way to close the sunroof when it is in the tilt open position.

To close it simply push the button UP (not forward or reverse) just apply pressure on the button itself UP, do not move the button.

This is the way to close the sunroof when tilted, it also opens the sunroof to the tilt position doing that way.

Then if you want to open or close the sunroof, then it is ok to push-move the button forward or reverse.

Try it.....it works everytime doing so.
Hope this help.
negative. i tried that already; pushing the button UP while the sunroof is in the tilt position does not close it. in order to close it, i had to slide the botton forward, but not far enough to engage the 'auto close' feature.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The dealer confirmed this is an issue. There's no special way to close your sun roof but a normal way. I just got this issue fixed this morning and this is what the work order says:
"FOUND SUNROOF SEAL BINDS WHEN CLOSING REPLACE SUN ROOF GLASS WITH NEW SEAL AND RETEST AFTER SERVICE VEHICLE CHECKS OK". My X is still under warranty so I didn't even pay attention to the cost.
that might be the next thing to try. will drop a visit to the dealer and see what they have to say about this. thanks again!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Updates on fixes?

I just encountered this problem today at 1300 miles with a 2010. I can't believe Acura has had this problem for so long and there hasn't been a recall or permanent fix. Has this problem persisted after the dealer replaced the seal?

·
Registered
253 Posts
This has happened on my 07... Time to go back to the dealership...

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have this issue as well. I realized that by lightly pushing the close button it closes the tilt sunroof. Assumed this was just the way to do it. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
Then I left the windows open one day and sunroof tilted, so I tried to close the windows/tilted sunroof from the key and door lock. Everything closed except the sunroof, which kept re-opening as before...<o:p></o:p>
Must be a defect. Will ask the dealer to review. Also sunroof moves very roughly along the track, has been greased recently by the dealer BTW.<o:p></o:p>

·
Registered
270 Posts
negative. i tried that already; pushing the button UP while the sunroof is in the tilt position does not close it. in order to close it, i had to slide the botton forward, but not far enough to engage the 'auto close' feature.
You guys are right....i was wrong....the push 'up' on the bottom open it tilted, but to close it you really have to push it forward.

Sorry for my error there.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have this issue as well. I realized that by lightly pushing the close button it closes the tilt sunroof. Assumed this was just the way to do it. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
Then I left the windows open one day and sunroof tilted, so I tried to close the windows/tilted sunroof from the key and door lock. Everything closed except the sunroof, which kept re-opening as before...<o:p></o:p>
Must be a defect. Will ask the dealer to review. Also sunroof moves very roughly along the track, has been greased recently by the dealer BTW.<o:p></o:p>
how the he.. did i end up with those smiley tongue faces... Didn't intend to put them there...

·
Registered
13 Posts
2008 mdx sunroof problems

I am an owner of a 2008 Acura MDX, which has haunted us with sunroof
Problems going back to 08. Friday the dealership called and said it's all
Done and ready to go (repair number five). We have had problems trying
To close the sunroof when in the tilt position. At times the sunroof will close
And open (again & again, 2 to thirty times) before it closes. We have had to have to center console replaced due to water damage when it rains. Each time
They have made adjustments to cleaning & lubing the linkage, reprograming,
And even replacing the complete sunroof assembly and now again adjusting/
Aligning the glass on the tracks. They have even gone as far as to blame us for leaving the sunroof open, which has allowed little leaves and flower buds to get into the roof and cause the linkage to bind which is the cause of the problem. Is it just me, maybe if they would just fix the problem . I could close the sunroof and not get leaves or water inside. On repair number four is when they replaced the complete sunroof assembly and cleaned out all the traces of good old mother nature ( yes the leaves again). Repair number five came just two months later with a little bonus. On the last repair the dealership kinked the drain tube at the left front a pillar, which caused more leaking inside the vehicle allowing the airbag at the left front a pillar to get soaked, as well as the stereo and shift lever. I no longer have faith in my local dealership as well as the Acura product. Can yo say lemon law!!!

·
Registered
258 Posts
revival...anyone else with this issue.

just discovered this one today (mind you its maybe 70* out and a real chance of rain). put the sunroof on tilt on my 09 this AM. went to try and close it driving home since the clouds look pretty threatening, (push fwd on button) all it did was close and open back up. tried to open the sunroof all the way by pushing back on the button, all the sunroof did was close and re-open. WTF?! pushed fwd on it again close then open. ugh. got home, parked, turned off the engine. push forward on button again and it finally closed.

haven't messed with it again since there is threat of rain...last thing i need is a sunroof that won't close all the way.

apparently this happens on the 4G TL's as well:

Sunroof Tilt Up Stuck on a Hot Day! - AcuraZine Community

this is annoying.

my TL NEVER (knock on wood) has a problem. hmmm...add to my list of things for the dealer to look at.

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
08 MDX Sunroof Problems

I had the same issue with my 08 MDX sunroof, after three years of taking it back to the dealer for repair, or as they said, we had to vacuume out the tracks which were clogged with leaves and dirt. In 2011 they finally replaced the entire sunroof and rails. Three weeks after the replacement of the sunroof it did it again, close-open, close-open, several times before it would close. Took it in for an oil change and the service manager asked how the new roof was, all I said was not to ask me about it. nothing else has been done with it since then. :(

1 - 20 of 55 Posts