Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy from the Tulsa area:
First time post; anyone changed their own trans fluid and filter? Find it hard to shell out $200-$300 for this job...馃捀

Registered
Didnt do the filter, but the fluid wasnt hard to change.

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply...How did you refill the fluid? That dip-stick hole is awful small???

Registered
There's a filler bolt that you undo on the top of the trans closer to the windshield. You'll need a long extension to get down to it from the top (hood). Use honda DW-1 fluid! The filter is not replaceable to my knowledge on the MDX. You'll need about 4 quarts for a drain and refill. Google the 3x3 method for changing out all the fluid.

Premium Member
On my 2010 the filter is accessed through the driver side plastic fender well, don't know what YM you have. I use Amsoil Signature ATF. 277k+ miles, no problems. Changed the filter once.

Registered
On my 2010 the filter is accessed through the driver side plastic fender well, don't know what YM you have. I use Amsoil Signature ATF. 277k+ miles, no problems. Changed the filter once.
Cool. Next time you do this again, can you take some pictures and write a DIY to show how it is done? Which filter did you buy? Thanks a lot?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Premium Member
This exploded view in post #29, it matches my 10 location and like these guys state the fender with a dozen or so pull clips are the biggest PITA. Really can't get much simpler. I like NAPA filters, Amsoil, and for sure check with your local Acura dealer. Oddly enough sometimes they're cheaper.

I'll take a pic next time but you'll probably get to it before I will. Hope it helps.

Registered
So you just need to remove the driver side front wheel, pull a bunch of clips and the filter is exposed right in front of your eyes? How many bolts do you need to undo to remove the filter? Are they tight? When you remove the filter, is there a lot of ATF spilling out?

I am quite surprised given that I have been driving my MDX for a long time and I never knew that filter is replaceable. My next ATF change is due in about 10k miles. That is more than a year for me. I am debating whether I should wait. But your advice is certainly very valuable. Thanks a lot!

Premium Member
right in front of your eyes?
There are 2 bolts that hold bracket 5 in the exploded view on and yes they're easy to get to. The clamps are harder to access but this whole job is straightforward and easy.
Are they tight?
3/8 drive ratchet and don't over tighten when you install them.
is there a lot of ATF spilling out?
Yes but not much.
It looks like Acura moved this filter to different places depending on YM, I have a 2010 and it looks like the pic in #29.
Once you have the new filter in, start the engine and check for leaks before you install the fender plastic.

One thing I'd like to mention is a study showed most foreign debris introduced into the transmission took place when a service was being done. You must make sure there's no dirt in the filter ends or hoses going on it during this filter swap. Sounds too simple but important to note.
If you change from petroleum base to synthetic you need enough oil to change it twice. Once will not get the oil out of the Torque Converter. Change it, drive it a few miles, then drain and fill the second time.

Registered
BTW, you have got 277k miles on your 2010 MDX? That is really cool. It would be nice if you report it here

You will be a very solid 2nd place given that your car is 4 years younger than the No. 1.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts