Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey everyone.

Time flies and its been over two years since I posted something here. I guess that's a testament to how solid our MDXes are.

I recently did the rear brakes on the X and have been hearing this noise that sounds like a playing card in a bicycle spoke type of noise. It seems to be coming from the right rear and only happens when moving. I took everything apart tonight and nothing looks/seems out of place?

It's not super loud but you can definitely hear it and its starting to drive me nuts. I've got 112,000 miles on it now.

Anyone have an idea as to what it could be?

thanks!

·
Registered
286 Posts
hey everyone.

Time flies and its been over two years since I posted something here. I guess that's a testament to how solid our MDXes are.

I recently did the rear brakes on the X and have been hearing this noise that sounds like a playing card in a bicycle spoke type of noise. It seems to be coming from the right rear and only happens when moving. I took everything apart tonight and nothing looks/seems out of place?

It's not super loud but you can definitely hear it and its starting to drive me nuts. I've got 112,000 miles on it now.

thanks!
When you say moving, do you mean accelerating, braking, or both? Did the car sit for long after the brakes were done? Does the sound slow down as the car slows and speeds up in concert with acceleration? When you had the brakes done, was it just pads or pads and rotors? What kind of pads and rotors did you get? (I will assume not OEM).

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's definitely rotational, but I only notice the sound at while im driving. it doesnt seem to speed up or down with vehicle speed either. Really odd. After I finished installing the brakes, I took it right out to bed the pads, so it didn't sit at all. I used Powerstop pads and rotors (a kit) ... have used them on my other cars and have always been really happy with them.

·
Registered
3 Posts
hey everyone.

thanks!
Hey I have a 2008 TL and just did the Rear Brake/ Rotor replacement with a fairly high spec Power Stop Kit. The Nickel plated slotted rotors look awesome behind the stock TL wheels, by the way. But YES that's it! A playing card in a bike spokes, sound from the rear brakes. It's not affected by brake application particularly and is all about rotation. It is not particularly loud and peripheral noise drowns it out pretty quick. You are definitely not tripping! I'm going back in now, if I figure it out something, I'll post back.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey I have a 2008 TL and just did the Rear Brake/ Rotor replacement with a fairly high spec Power Stop Kit. The Nickel plated slotted rotors look awesome behind the stock TL wheels, by the way. But YES that's it! A playing card in a bike spokes, sound from the rear brakes. It's not affected by brake application particularly and is all about rotation. It is not particularly loud and peripheral noise drowns it out pretty quick. You are definitely not tripping! I'm going back in now, if I figure it out something, I'll post back.
I did confirm the same sound from the passenger side as well. Maybe not as noticeable, but ya. And not from the front wheels/ brakes. I noticed the post that suggested thinking wheel bearing. Good thought but in both of these cases it is directly tied to a rear brake service. My guess I didn't correctly re-assemble the funky drum brake assembly for the Emergency Brake. Something in there moving/ rattling. I am careful and adjusted them up was suggested. But it's something.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I did confirm the same sound from the passenger side as well. Maybe not as noticeable, but ya. And not from the front wheels/ brakes. I noticed the post that suggested thinking wheel bearing. Good thought but in both of these cases it is directly tied to a rear brake service. My guess I didn't correctly re-assemble the funky drum brake assembly for the Emergency Brake. Something in there moving/ rattling. I am careful and adjusted them up was suggested. But it's something.
Well Folks, we have a gorgeous Fall day here in Colo. And I once again I jacked up my TL's rear wheel and pulled the tire/ wheel. Even with turning the wheel studs by hand I can make that sound. The afore mentioned 'funky' (cause it's drum) Emergency brake is adjusted fine and isn't involved. The rotor feels/ sounds perfect. I can put my ear on the rotor housing and hear it clearly. For sur no where else and not a bearing thing. I think it's the disc pad hardware rattling. Why? Got no clue. Assembled correctly, lubricated correctly, operates correctly. I used the finest Ceramic Ultra Cool brake lube on the planet! :) Sooo, I think it's in the 'turn up the radio and be happy category'. It's weird and annoying but honestly 3 times in and I can't find a problem or reason for this sound. And that's good, you know. :confused:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.