Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought and 08 X with 102,000 miles - sharp as hell but has a couple kinks and hoping to get some help!!

1. Clunking sound from front suspension

I have researched and know this is well documented but with a wide array of causes from sway bar bushings, to CV joints, to struts etc etc... hoping to narrow it down before i start fixing stuff.

Had Honda master tech put on hoist and said all suspension components look fine. i do need timing belt soon and have to replace leaky power steering return hose too.

I hear the clunking sound when i turn the wheel while reversing down my driveway.

While in drive and braking and turning sharply - heard while making U turn twice last night.

Hear a couple times while going around corners when the weight of the X starts to transfer..

This morning i put the MDX up on stands and took a look and photos of all the font suspension components.

Phyically Pushed/pulled on wheels and did not feel any play in ball joints as well as did not feel any give in lync assembly and sway bar...

PLEASE if you see anything do TELL

2. Vibration at highway speeds and in steering wheel. 65mph+

Had tires rotated and force balanced at honda dealer ( said tow were out of balance). Vibration is 70% better but still there. Could this be related?

HELP, PLEASe.

putting the kiddos in this car and want to get it right for peace of nind its driving me nuts.

Attachments

·
Registered
754 Posts
Start by getting the power steering issue(s) resolved completely.

What town do you live in? You should go to facebook and look for an Acura or Honda club. in your town.

I got mine done today, for $300.

I rounded up the antifreeze, 2 belts, and 5 other parts for him, for $470

Total $770

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
There seems to be an issue with the Top Hat or Bearing of the Shock absorber.. Mine had a clunk too and I could not pin point the cause.. Replaced the complete shock absorber unit (300bucks a piece) and the clunk went away. Since everything came new I cannot say if it was the top hat or the bearing.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Start by getting the power steering issue(s) resolved completely.

What town do you live in? You should go to facebook and look for an Acura or Honda club. in your town.

I got mine done today, for $300.

I rounded up the antifreeze, 2 belts, and 5 other parts for him, for $470

Total $770
Good idea on Acura Club locally - I am in Melbourne FL - near Orlando

Going to get PS addressed asap and see how X responds. - will update

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looks like power steering return hose is source of fluid leak.. Anyone replace one of these themselves? The Stealership wants 300 big ones. ?
Fixed power steering leak hose at shop with new hose and fluid change.

CLUNKING NOISE there still and getting worse. Bushings and cv axles look good. Mechanic said it could be a rusted bolt on the subframe??? Not sure where to go next...

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Did you try the shock bearing or spring seat?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Did you try the shock bearing or spring seat?
UPDATE - my mechanic found two large bolts that connect the engine cradle to the subframe were a "thread or two" loose and after torquing them back to spec.... Boom no more clunking while turning and slowing down. ?

·
Registered
798 Posts
UPDATE - my mechanic found two large bolts that connect the engine cradle to the subframe were a "thread or two" loose and after torquing them back to spec.... Boom no more clunking while turning and slowing down. ?
These don't normally get loose. Wonder if your car has been worked on in that area before?

I hope he either tightened it to the correct torque specs and/or put loctite on it.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
That is pretty bizarre care to elaborate what those bolts where?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
4 large bolts that connect the engine cradle to the sub frame. Car was on a hoist and they are directly under the motor.

Not sure if it had been worked in that area or not but i do know that the car did have a new tie rod and starter motor installed right before i bought it.
Has not made that noise once since re torquing those bolts... :)

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Thanks, I will get those checked next time I go for alignment.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts