Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my MDX about a year ago and the seller told me he unplugged the HFL because it drained the battery. So what did I do? Reconnected it...then had to have my MDX jumped the next day. So obviously I need to replace the HFL. Has anyone replaced there HFL and had success? And, does it matter which edition of the HFL you install? Meaning, if I pull a HFL from an '07 MDX in a junk yard, will it have the same issue?

·
Registered
798 Posts
It's basically a crapshoot if you buy used. If you buy new, it could fail eventually down the line but you might have longer reliability time on your side.

The problem is the type of solder they use eventually develops cold solder joints leading to bad connections internally. Apple has similiar problems with some of their iPhones.

The Eco friendly solder is really meant to only be used in low heat conditions as it's looking like.

Btw, were you one of those boys that touched a hot pan even when your mama told you the pan was hot? Lol. :)

·
Registered
136 Posts
There is another thread on this topic, and believe it or not a user recommended baking the HFL unit in the oven for a short period then trying it again. It sounded crazy, but I tried it and it worked short term. My HFL worked fine and didn't drain the battery for about 9 months but eventually failed again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts