Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a 06 MDX with all the options. It is always serviced at Acura. About a month ago the battery died and we took it to Auto Zone. They replaced the dura last gold battery free because it was under warranty (about 18 months old)

That battery lasted about 3 weeks and the we took it to Auto Zone. The replaced the battery and hooked up a tester to the new one. When I started the car they said that the starter was draining the batteries.

Took this info to Acura last week. They kept it one day and said that they could not find anything wrong with the car. It has been 5 days since we got it back and the battery is dead again.

Can you recommend anything that I can tell Acura to check to fix the problem?

Thanks,

Rod

·
Registered
963 Posts
Well of course the starter drains when you use it. The kid that told you that has a bright future.
Ekectrickery problems require a very deliberate fault finding process.
In short term get a battery tender for $20 or so bucks and use nightly.
I would start by disconnecting any aftermarket wiring additions. Trailer wiring included.
If no improvement then it's time to test each circuit by removing the fuse.
Shorts are most often found in wiring to doors. mouse damage can be anywhere.
I had a similar problem on one non Honda product turned out to be the alternator's electronics going bad.
Good luck

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
369 Posts
Worst case you start replacing main wiring harnesses. I had to replace one on my bimmer, took me about 2 hours, $100 used part.

·
Registered
4 Posts
its most likley the bluetooth (handsfreelink) computer thats causing your battery drain. Its a common problem on this car. You can just unplug it yourself and see if your battery is still drained in a week or so.
I'm here to help.

-e

·
Registered
1 Posts
its most likley the bluetooth (handsfreelink) computer thats causing your battery drain. Its a common problem on this car. You can just unplug it yourself and see if your battery is still drained in a week or so.
I'm here to help.

-e
Thanks espec. I have the same issue, replaced battery, alternator and starter. Car won't start if we don't drive it every day. Usually will start after jump with our battery pak (purchased just for this car!) but today won't start, even after we drove it all weekend, and battery pak doesn't work.

Can you post the instructions on how to unplug the bluetooth (which also hasn't worked on this car for four years and I wouldn't pay $550 to repair). I've seen the instructions before (it's inside the rear air console?) but couldn't find them again.

Thanks!
Tris
2006 MDX

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have had the same problem with my 2007 MDX today my car is in the dealer getting fixed for $440 for the hands free link saying the Bluetooth was drawing on the battery since it hasn't worked. A month and a half ago the dealer itself sold me a new battery which most likely I didn't needI believe this should be a recall.Acura is unbelievable.I thought I was buying a great car.:(

·
Registered
199 Posts
The quickest way to find out if you have a short is to disconnect the negative battery cable, then watch as you re-attach it. It if sparks, then you definitely have a short somewhere. You can start pulling fuses one at a time and repeat the above process, but I would see if there's an easier way to find the short first (through a very thorough Google search).
Seeing a spark when you put the negative battery cable on does not indicate a "short". It indicates current is being drawn as part of the process of completing the circuit. Granted, a large arch may indicate a larger than normal current draw. I just want to make sure there is no confusion for the person in need. If it were a short, the battery becomes a resister and heats up, fuses will blow etc.

·
Registered
2 Posts
06 bluetooth repair

I have an 06 mdx. Bluetooth stopped working. Tried removing the phones and repairing them, but that doesn't work. Bluetooth is in the rear view mirror area. How do I remove/replace the part?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have 2006 Acura MDX. My car battery keeps draining. It’s a new battery and new alternator.. I’ve disconnected the bluetooth. I’ve disconnected the glove box.. no lights are on and I’m still draining in the battery.. I’m wondering when I had my air bag recall fixed with the inflators.l, that is the issue. I haven’t had a problem until they were installed. Do you think that could be the problem?

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Very unlikely that the airbags are causing a battery drain. Really the only way to chase down something like this is to hook up an ammeter (measures current) inline with the battery and battery cable, and see how much current the car is drawing (make sure the dome light is off). If it's excessive, then you just start pulling fuses and see which one is associated with the excess current drain. Then you troubleshoot that circuit. Sounds more complicated than it really is - takes some time, and is a bit fiddly, but you can get to the bottom of the problem in short order this way.

·
Registered
1 Posts
It's likely the Bluetooth. It was on mine. I disconnected it and Bam, no more battery drains. Went to the junkyard last month and pick up a used Bluetooth for $15. Back up and running.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts