Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put some new front tires on my wifes MDX about a year ago. I planned to put a couple new ones on back and be diligent about rotating them. Fast forward to a couple of weeks ago when I was changing her oil, I looked down and noticed very excessive wear. She probably only has 10-15k miles on the new fronts. The drivers side was in great shape. I decided to buy 4 new tires, so I could rotate them and get the most life out of em. I knew I would need an alignment, but a part of me thought there might be more to it since the wear was so bad.

I took it up to Autotire today and they said it needed a passenger REAR control arm. I looked around and it sounds like its an adjustable arm that you can use to help adjust camber. Now to me that totally makes sense if the rear tire was the culprit, but for the most part, the rear passenger looked fine. He tired explaining it was pushing the car which was chewing up the front passenger outside of the tire.

I'm not a suspension guy and I didn't want to argue with the guy, but does this make sense to anyone else? My thought was a ball joint or tie rod end going bad (has a little play if you have it up on jack stands).

Thanks for reading!

Todd

·
Registered
889 Posts
Certainly different alignment issues can present themselves in ways only those who deal with it on a regular basis can understand. If the shop is reputable and you have no other reason to distrust them then proceed with their recommendation, but if you are unsure get a second opinion.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
A few things...

1) The rear upper control arm on the 1G MDX isn't adjustable, so if yours is, chances are it's because the PO was trying to correct a camber issue. I did that on mine, since I was getting really bad wear on the inside edges when driving loaded (something I do pretty often). The suspension "squats" when you load it up, increasing the camber enough to start wearing the inside edge of the rear tires.

2) A rear tire out of camber spec isn't going to have much (any?) effect on the front tire, IMHO. Might be some effect, but I'd expect it to be really burning up the rear tires if the camber was bad enough to affect the overall balance of the car.

3) I'd be MUCH more suspicious of that "looseness" in the front end - that's the more likely cause of your tire wear problem. If you can feel any movement at all in either the ball joint or the outer tie rod end, replace it and get an alignment done.

4) And finally, I'd recommend putting new tires on the rear, not the front. The rear is much more likely to hydroplane than the front is, or to slide out due to loss of traction.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts