Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I just bought this car today and the previous owner stated that the car died and ever since then the nav system has been acting up. I've been troubleshooting now for about 10 hours now trying to find the best option. I've cleaned the disc I've disconnected the battery and let it sit for 15-20 mins and even touch the cables together to reset the whole system. Now I'm down to a few options of cleaning the eye of the nav drive by completely removing it and tearing it apart and cleaning it manually or find a drive cleaner disc that works for this nav drive if that even exists? Or taking the risk of buying a whole new nav drive and installing that. Also from what I've heard Alpine no longer services these systems... I'm running out of options. Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
552 Posts
You’ve hit the ground running and landed on the other question...aftermarket! I did all of that for naught and then had my drive serviced RIGHT before Alpine stopped serving them (my car was a cold weather car so my DVD-ROM unit almost literally rusted under the front passenger seat!), they repaired the unit and sent it back...rust and all! Horrible experience but it works...90% of the time. I looked several places for a newer unit during the 10 weeks they had the unit but only saw one on a site called LKQ Online. Try them but I would think when you add in the extra features you could get from a aftermarket unit with GPS and Bluetooth it starts to become a no brainer to just have someone start doing the cutting.
Good Luck

Reactions: GabeMcPheron

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wouldn't mind having an aftermarket but from what I've seen none of the aftermarkets can control the heat and AC.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I've read that you can take a thin plastic ruler, wrap it a paper towel and then put some isopropyl alcohol onto the paper towel. Then you run it inside the disc drive to clean the eye. Obviously, if you encounter resistance then back off. I have not tried this but have meant to do it for some time now. I'm still changing the high pressure steering line...

·
Premium Member
552 Posts
The radio is the bottom section, the AC controls are the above screen. If your unit is totally dead you don’t have access to your full range of AC choices and are “stuck” on whatever was last programmed (I always keep mine on Medium speed and split window defog and floor vent just in case it goes on me again).
When you search “2004 Acura MDX aftermarket radio” you get pictures showing others who have done it. It’s such a common upgrade companies make custom bracket and face panels. Hell, it’s a very popular SUV that lasts long so a market to support upgrades like radios will always pop up.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts