Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I brought my 05 Acura MDX in November 2018. Last August it just stop working, I replaced the fuel pump, starter, alternator, valve gaskets, rings, coil pack, and I did a tune up. Replaced all fuses & relays, and new battery. Truck still won’t stay running. Had a compression test done and two low numbers on front (150:175). Was told need to replace/rebuild engine. It has 213k on it. Just need to know is it worth it or junk it?

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
It all depends on why it's got low compression. Those don't seem to be horribly bad compression numbers - not bad enough to keep it from running, but maybe bad enough to give it a lumpy idle.

Have you checked that the timing hasn't slipped? Sometimes if one or both cams are off a notch or two, the engine will act like your (limited) description.

I suppose if the car hasn't ever had a valve adjustment that what you're seeing could be valve damage (which would require a "real valve job" from a machine shop - well worth it if you can do the R/R of the heads yourself).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
New timing & did valve adjustment. Still won’t stay running. Once I turn it over it just clunks and white smoke comes out the exhaust pipe

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It all depends on why it's got low compression. Those don't seem to be horribly bad compression numbers - not bad enough to keep it from running, but maybe bad enough to give it a lumpy idle.

Have you checked that the timing hasn't slipped? Sometimes if one or both cams are off a notch or two, the engine will act like your (limited) description.

I suppose if the car hasn't ever had a valve adjustment that what you're seeing could be valve damage (which would require a "real valve job" from a machine shop - well worth it if you can do the R/R of the heads yourself).
New timing & did valve adjustment. Still won’t stay running. Once I turn it over it just clunks and white smoke comes out the exhaust pipe

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Sounds like a head gasket. Of course, that is a big job. OTOH, if the compression on the rear cylinders is OK, AND you decide to do a replacement head / rebuild the head for JUST the "front" (aka "left") side, it would be a lot easier / cheaper / quicker. It's a risk that there could be something else going on with the rear cylinders, but you really wouldn't waste TOO much time doing just the front and then doing the rear separately.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sounds like a head gasket. Of course, that is a big job. OTOH, if the compression on the rear cylinders is OK, AND you decide to do a replacement head / rebuild the head for JUST the "front" (aka "left") side, it would be a lot easier / cheaper / quicker. It's a risk that there could be something else going on with the rear cylinders, but you really wouldn't waste TOO much time doing just the front and then doing the rear separately.
Thanks ?? got a diagnostic today & all three were bad and two on the back. It would’ve been to costly to do either so I scrapped it. My ex-husband brought it for me so I guess out with the old & into the new. Stay blessed ??

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Sorry to hear that - the MDX really is a great vehicle, particularly for the typical prices you can buy them for. No better "luxury 7-passenger SUV" value out there. Hope you find a way to sell off the vehicle to someone who can renovate it!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all your assistance ??
Sorry to hear that - the MDX really is a great vehicle, particularly for the typical prices you can buy them for. No better "luxury 7-passenger SUV" value out there. Hope you find a way to sell off the vehicle to someone who can renovate it!
Thanks for all your assistance ??

1 - 8 of 8 Posts