Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife has a 2004 MDX with 244k and the CEL & VTM-4 have came on and went off here recently. Now that the winter has came they have came on and stayed. I took it to get the light checked and I was told that I was misfire in all cylinders and a large vacuum leak. I have replaced the Y-pipe and all 6 spark plugs. I have noticed a change but it still hesitates from cold starts and even stalls at low rpms pulling out of parking spots. She loves the truck so I'm trying my best to fix it but my patience are running fairly thin. When I took it to get the CEL checked again it only came back random misfire this time but the coils did not look bad when I changed the plugs. Other than the codes for misfire it said it had no problem detected. So what do I do next?? I do not know what to do next since I have CEL and VTM-4 lights on but nothing telling me what direction to go besides random misfire which isn't telling me much. And the clowns at AutoZone aren't much help either. I've searched this forum and only find help on 01-03.

Any help is much appreciated.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Same issue on my 05. Replaced all coils and spark plugs and lights still came back. Got a valve adjustment done and the car's been running better than before.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Valve adjustment, went through this exact problem during the summer and a valve adjustment was the solution

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Large vacuum leak should be investigated also, as this can cause missing.

Valve adjustment is due. I adjusted my 03 MDX w/ similar mileage (200K) and found a couple of exhaust valves too tight. I did not have any missing or codes.

good luck

·
Registered
19 Posts
It seems this problem is very common. I myself am in the process of nailing down my own problem, which happens to be just like yours. Mine, however, since I last posted (on my own thread), I read the WORK DONE by the dealer and it does seem they opened up the head and replaced two gaskets, supposedly the valve head gaskets, so I'm forced to believe that they did the valve adjustment, but CEL and VTM-4 lights still come on, so I'm scratching my head now. New coils, EGR valve, new PCV, new plugs. The strange thing on my '06 MDX is, when it gets a little warmer, like 35 or above, the CEL and VTM-4 lights go away. I can feel a difference with the air exiting the tail pipe. No sputters. When the CEL and VTM-4 lights are on, I can hear the uneven air exiting the tail pipe. Like you blow a tube in the water.

The strangest thing is the weather has something to do with whether mine will have a CEL + VTM-4 or not. When it's cold, like 20 degrees or lower, then the CEL + VTM-4 lights come back on. I'm scratching my head. Hopefully the summer comes quickly so the problem would go away.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts