Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heya guys. I have been completely codeless for a while, but I've been noticing a lack of power for quite some time.

Just got back from a 800 mile road trip and these codes pop up.

(Current) P1454 - Faulty FTP Sensor

(Pending) P0455 - EVAP System Large Leak Detected

My first suspicion was just the gas cap, but since the evap leak is pending and is being accompanied by the sensor fault, I'm guessing this isn't a false alarm.

Hopefully I'll get to it soon, but does anyone think this could possibly be affecting my lack of power issue I've been chasing?

Thanks as always!

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
It really COULD be the gas cap. The full description of the P1454 code (for an Acura, that is), is "Fuel Tank Pressure (FTP) Sensor Range/Performance Problem Comprehensive"

As with all modern cars, there is a mind-boggling number of components, sensors, hoses, and canisters tasked with capturing a tiny bit of stray gasoline fumes. I really believe that the production and maintenance of these overly complicated, overly legislated systems contribute more pollution than they might prevent. I'm betting one extra trip to the testing station (never mind the shop or auto parts place) burns more gas than the evap system would capture in its lifetime.

If it was my car, I'd throw a new gas cap on it and reset the error code, and see if it comes back. Beyond that, the factory manual has about 10 pages of testing protocol to troubleshoot what else it might be (though it's bigger because the system changed so much over the years, and the manual covers several years).

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It really COULD be the gas cap. The full description of the P1454 code (for an Acura, that is), is "Fuel Tank Pressure (FTP) Sensor Range/Performance Problem Comprehensive"

As with all modern cars, there is a mind-boggling number of components, sensors, hoses, and canisters tasked with capturing a tiny bit of stray gasoline fumes. I really believe that the production and maintenance of these overly complicated, overly legislated systems contribute more pollution than they might prevent. I'm betting one extra trip to the testing station (never mind the shop or auto parts place) burns more gas than the evap system would capture in its lifetime.

If it was my car, I'd throw a new gas cap on it and reset the error code, and see if it comes back. Beyond that, the factory manual has about 10 pages of testing protocol to troubleshoot what else it might be (though it's bigger because the system changed so much over the years, and the manual covers several years).

That was my first reaction too, habby!

I will start with resetting the codes and replacing the gas cap, then report back here.

Totally agree on the overly complicated aspect. I saw that on the 05-06 models you have to remove the EVAP Canister to get to this part.

As always, thanks for your input!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts