Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

561 - 576 of 576 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
I started getting the symptoms and had Acura change the fluid and all was fine. Was I lucky? idk. But I had put an after market tranny fluid in and after a year or 2, it started making the sounds and the torque converter was acting up. Most of these symptoms happened around 30mph

·
Registered
400 Posts
I too am experiencing the issue.

List model year. 2004
Date/Mileage of failure. Probably started a year ago. 2013.
Current mileage. 96,000
Symptoms. Grumbling around 28 and 46mph.
Corrective action. Was offered a 50% goodwill on a full trans replacement. $2850.(50%) Still considering my options at this point.
Current status of trans. How does it feel? D4 stops the noise.
That's sad to hear Midnight. If my memory serves me correctly, you started accelerating the frequency of your tranny oil change to hopefully reduce the chances of exactly this happening.

I wonder if an external tranny cooler would reduce this risk? I have always read that over heating is the main cause of early tranny failures. Maybe even with the oil changes the temperatures are excessive

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Does any one know whether rebuilding 2005 MDX transmission would require the mechanic to remove some AC component or lower engine?
Following thread has some info that may help.

I have a pdf downloaded from this site from a MDX owner (name not in pdf so maybe someone knows?). It is very good record of AT removal, overhaul, and installation.

good luck

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
2004 MDX

Hi folks - Last check in, but wanted to update everyone.
Last checked in September 2010, with 125,000 miles, and I was asking if it would fail hard.

I just traded the MDX in, 5/2015, with 213,000 mile in it.
I never fixed the transmission, and it had it's issues until I traded it in. I think I did a couple of fluid changes in it during that time, the last time using SynchroMAX.

I regularly took 800 mile trips, with no issues (D5 on the highway). It never left me stranded, or appeared to get worse.

So for those of you with more patience than cash, my advice is not to worry too much, if you don't mind using D4 around town, and getting the dismal 16-17 MPG.

I traded it after the AC compressor blew, but before I had done the timing belt again.
Got a Subaru Legacy.

Thanks for your advice.
Jim

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
2004 MDX

Hi folks - Last check in, but wanted to update everyone.
Last checked in September 2010, with 125,000 miles, and I was asking if it would fail hard.

I just traded the MDX in, 5/2015, with 213,000 mile in it.
I never fixed the transmission, and it had it's issues until I traded it in. I think I did a couple of fluid changes in it during that time, the last time using SynchroMAX.

I regularly took 800 mile trips, with no issues (D5 on the highway). It never left me stranded, or appeared to get worse.

So for those of you with more patience than cash, my advice is not to worry too much, if you don't mind using D4 around town, and getting the dismal 16-17 MPG.

I traded it after the AC compressor blew, but before I had done the timing belt again.
Got a Subaru Legacy.

Thanks for your advice.
Jim
Thanks for the update and good luck with the Subie!

·
Registered
153 Posts
Nice insight Jim. I had 06 mdx and still own 11 rdx. Had torque converter problem at 67k which Acura replaced with rebuilt TC. Judder was gone but the transmission was still "whistling" which I've come to find out its normal for Acura. Moved on to Lexus.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I have a hand me down 04 MDX touring with 85,000 miles, lately I am having troubles with the gear shifter, which was diagnosed as a rusty trans cable linkage. I have not gotten it fixed yet but I assume all problems are caused by this and not a transmission problem: it will sometimes not engage into D5 and will sometimes "pop out" while driving causing me to have to shake the shifter until the D5 lights illuminates again. When the D5 light turns off or does not turn on when I put it into drive, the transmission is in neutral but does not indicate that I am.y shifter will not go down into lower gears and is hard to move. Those were all things I think caused by linkage. But my transmission does not give me great confidence sometimes not downshifting when at a red light or shifting too late or too soon, in April of this year, my radiotor hose blew (also very common on this car) and left transmission fluid everywhere, although it has been checked, since I tried moving the car and putting it into gear as I was unaware of the fluid everywhere, I am still afraid that I caused uneccasary wear to an already not so reliable transmission.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Rumbling Noise :(

List model year - 2004
Date/Mileage of failure. September 2016
Current mileage. 142k
Symptoms. Just like how most people posted, I hear that rumbling noise between 35-45 Mpg.
Corrective action. None yet, still thinking what to do
Current status of trans. How does it feel? Overall drives fine, but noise bothers
And cost, if any or $0. Have not talked to any dealership or local tranny shop.
Warranty, if you received one. No.

I just bought this car in Dec 2015 with 139K miles to support growing family for 10K with assumptions that this should be good to run for atleast another 100K miles. But with this noise, I started searching and found this forum. Thanks for all the info, but I wonder if this is an expensive repair and how should I go about it.

Also, when I park car after driving, I see a drop of leak. My local mechanic had mentioned it around tranny area and he can replace this special seal for $100 (which I plan to get done soon). Is this related to Torque convertor or Transmission problem? I have got Transmission drain and fill recently as my local mechanic mentioned it being dirty when I bought the car and wanted it checked.

One more thing, if I don't get the noise fixed, any idea, how long does tranny last if that's the issue? My problem is I don't know for how long did previous owner had this issue? I bought it through craigslist and he did not mention of it though he gave me all service records of it being serviced at Acura dealership (which even had record of replacing timing belt at 100K).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks jasguild, can you share the link for the same. Also, any idea how much does labor cost to install new tranny? Does tranny install has catalytic convertor in it or I have to get it installed/repaired separately? Also is there anything else needed to be replaced with this job? Sorry, newbie here so want to learn, thanks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have 04 Acura MDX was involved in an accident. Just the front driver side fender was messed up and the bar to which the fender is on which I was able to pull back out with a crowbar. it been sitting since November 2016. Now it starts but it wont drive even though am able to shift gears and it shows which drive is selected on the dashboard. what is causing this and how do I fix it?

·
Registered
2 Posts
2004 MDX...love the car...but it's killing us...

List model year - 2004

Date/Mileage of failure. 12/17 mileage about 145,000 started to hear rumble strip noise....

Current mileage. 160,000

Symptoms. Loud vibration when going 35-45 through small towns, Just had rack and pinion replaced for $1250 thinking that was it...seems it's the torque converter....another $3,000? Also, has high piercing whine when accelerating down the road...continuous, very ANNOYING noise!! We paid $7750 a year and a half ago...I love the car but WOW! What crazy repairs for a Honda motor...we've owned Hondas for years and NEVER had trouble like this! Looking to go back to Chrysler if things don't improve.

Corrective action. New tires 5/18....New Rack and Pinion 7/18....Torque Converter???

Current status of trans. How does it feel? Seems to shift smoothly and never gotten a code for the tranny.
And cost, if any or $0.
Warranty, if you received one. No warranty offered.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I
List model year: 2005
Date/Mileage of failure: Started seeing symptoms fall of '08, around 80K miles.
Date of Service/mileage: 90433
Symptoms:The first real symptom was a "driving over the rumble strip on the side of the highway" kind of vibration when you had been traveling fast enough (>45mph) to be in 5th gear and then you would slow down for, say, an approach to a red light. Then say the red light turns green before you come to a complete stop so the tranny is still in 5th and you slowly apply throttle, almost "lugging" the engine. Instead of downshifting it would cause that strange vibration, because the torque converter wasn't unlocking correctly.
Corrective action: Replace entire transmission and torque converter with remanufactured unit
Current status of trans: Replacement unit shifting much smoother, no vibration, no bearing whine, although there is another possibly non-related driveline noise in the rear.
cost, if any or $0" $0, under my AcuraCare extended $0 deductible warranty. The cost would have been $2900 according the service invoice.
Warranty, if you received one: All remanufactured units get a 3 year/36K mile warr
I have 04 Acura MDX was involved in an accident. Just the front driver side fender was messed up and the bar to which the fender is on which I was able to pull back out with a crowbar. it been sitting since November 2016. Now it starts but it wont drive even though am able to shift gears and it shows which drive is selected on the dashboard. what is causing this and how do I fix it?
  1. [Traction control sensor possibly /QUOTE]

561 - 576 of 576 Posts