Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

521 - 540 of 576 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
drive it in D4 and manually put it in D5 when you go on the highway. That is what I've been doing for the last 7.5k miles

·
Registered
118 Posts
TC replaced with new factory unit at 130K, Acura picked up a portion of the bill. Cost me $1,700. Now 30K and 18 mos. later at 160K making the classic 35mph shutter/rumble, they are saying no help.

Talked to customer service supervisor she says too old. I said 30K on a factory new TC is not acceptable....... Any suggestions?????
Did they apply any new TSB (PCM update)?

They replaced TC on mine and later there was a PCM update, after the update any thing above 45mph speed it sticks rpm between 1800 to 2000, before it used to oscillate in the range of 1200 to 1600 rpm.

If not wrong this may solve recurring TC problem but you may get less gas mileage.

·
Registered
14 Posts
List model year. 2004
Date/Mileage of failure. 6/20/11 - 137,000
Current mileage. 138,000
Symptoms. Whirring noise around 25mph with fluctuating rpm
Corrective action. Dealer replacing TC next week.
Current status of trans. How does it feel? TBD
And cost, if any or $0. $0 - Acura covering 75%
Warranty, if you received one. TBD

·
Registered
1 Posts
2005 99,000 miles
had the shudder problem, too, but received letter from acura and had tranny software updated at dealer at no cost. However, tonight the D5 light started blinking but reset it self after turning car off and then restarting. Major issue or maybe just a glitch?

·
Registered
10,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #527
List model year. 2004
Date/Mileage of failure. 6/20/11 - 137,000
Current mileage. 138,000
Symptoms. Whirring noise around 25mph with fluctuating rpm
Corrective action. Dealer replacing TC next week.
Current status of trans. How does it feel? TBD
And cost, if any or $0. $0 - Acura covering 75%
Warranty, if you received one. TBD
How did you get them to cover 75%?

·
Registered
10,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #528
2005 99,000 miles
had the shudder problem, too, but received letter from acura and had tranny software updated at dealer at no cost. However, tonight the D5 light started blinking but reset it self after turning car off and then restarting. Major issue or maybe just a glitch?
Did the update fix the shudder? It might of been a glitch.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Great info on this forum. thanks so much for all of your contributions!
After reading, it seems that my dad might be in some trouble here. he bought an 04 less than a year ago, not from an Acura dealer. He is having the TC issue, as he brought it to them and they said that's what he is going to need to fix the sound and issue. he has nearly 75K on his. They did NOT mention anything to him about a software issue so it looks like he might be stuck?? Any advice as to what else he can do about this? I'm not sure he's very excited about dropping the $3K+ on his vehicle, but he can't sell it like it is (and I'm not sure he'd even be able to get much on a trade in because of the sound the vehicle makes).
Once again, other than bringing up the tranny issues to the dealer is there any other advice that anyone can give or has anyone had any luck with other ways of lessening the blow?
Thanks!

·
Registered
26 Posts
2004 mdx

124,500 miles. Just began to notice the growl in 5th at very low speeds. Not sure taking it to the dealer will help, as it is clearly out of all warranty.

If I were to take it to the dealer, what should I ask for? A TSB and update?

Any recommended next steps?

Thanks.

·
Registered
455 Posts
124,500 miles. Just began to notice the growl in 5th at very low speeds. Not sure taking it to the dealer will help, as it is clearly out of all warranty.

If I were to take it to the dealer, what should I ask for? A TSB and update?

Any recommended next steps?

Thanks.
what year? The TSB is only for the 05 and 06 years I believe. My 04 has been doing the rumble for the last 10k miles (188k now). I just drive in d4 and manually put the car in d5 on the highway. See how long I can make it last.

·
Registered
217 Posts
what year? The TSB is only for the 05 and 06 years I believe. My 04 has been doing the rumble for the last 10k miles (188k now). I just drive in d4 and manually put the car in d5 on the highway. See how long I can make it last.
thats what ive been doing ever since i had my tc replaced on my 05 at 47000 miles. im at 97000 miles now with no issues, knock on wood :D

·
Registered
7 Posts
2005 Touring "Rumble Strip" noise

First off, great site and thanks for putting this information together! I am sad to say that I have another MDX to add to the weird noise "rumble strip" thread.

I bought this '05 MDX in Feb 2011 with 105k and did about 1 month of research before I bought it. This Touring X came with the NAV and DVD (for the kids) and I knew I wanted one before I bought it. The mileage wasn't an issue for me b/c I saw so many others out there with 180k+ so I knew I had plenty of use left with it. Plus, my wife drives it and she only puts about 10k on any vehicle per year. Did I mention I live in Colorado? Perfect vehicle for our crazy weather!

Anyways, I only drive it periodically but I noticed this faint sound once or twice. I also have a Honda Ridgeline and I used to hear a similar sound from that vehicle that is caused by the power steering pump (which apparently is normal after starting out cold). However, I have noticed this sound has been happening more frequently and I can actually reproduce it now at will.

I have owned several manual sports cars in my time and I can liken this sound to when you are geared too high without downshifting. The RPMs are very low when this occurs, usually under 30MPH. If I have the X in D5 and touch the accelerator very lightly to increase speed it shudders. If I engage the accelerator more aggressively the tranny downshifts and all is well. So, I have told my wife to drive around town in D4 - which by the way solves all issues with this problem. I'm no mechanic, but I have come to the conclusion of many others in these posts that eliminating the symptom is the best course of action. Since I know I bought this vehicle without a warranty I was assuming all liability, but crappy feeling all the same since we love this car and it is perfect for our family. The last thing I want to do is shell out $$$$ for a car that we've only had for 8 months! Old car it may be, but new to us.

MidnightMDX Form:
Model Year: 2005 Touring NAV/RES
Date/Mileage of failure: 07-2011/107k
current mileage: 111k
Symptoms: As stated above - shuddering at low speed/rpm in D5 only. Like going up a hill in 5th gear and not downshifting, rumbling sound. It is repeatable by lightly engaging the throttle while in 5th gear at low RPM.
Corrective Action: Driving in D4 for now. However, planning a long haul at Christmas so looking at a service call before the trip to make sure everything is hunky-dory. Probably taking it to a local Import mechanic that works on my Honda Ridgeline.
Current status of transmission: Unknown if computer update has been performed as this was a used vehicle purchase. Tranny feels fine if driving in D4, D5 on highway.
Cost: 0$ so far, but not looking good after everything I've been reading.
Warranty: None

·
Registered
2010 MDX Advance
467 Posts
Muckslush, there is a service bulletin #09-037, transmission software update, you can get for free at the dealer. I have no idea if it helps or not, but it certainly can't hurt. I had it done at 100,383 after a notice in the mail. I'm at 115,000 with all systems go. I avoid the use of 5th for around-town driving.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I guess this begs the question...if the dealer tells you you need a new TC, but you decide to drive in 4th instead so that you don't hear the noise, are you doing any damage to the tranny or the vehicle??

·
Registered
7 Posts
I never asked the dealer that question, but they did perform the PCM update free of charge along with a wash. They were pretty nice about it all even though they gave me a laundry list of things that need fixed - namely the engine mounts have both failed. I read through this forum and have noticed that this is also a common problem that I will be getting fixed.

As for the rumbling in D5, this has disappeared. I test drove it after the dealer visit and I can't replicate it even though I used to at will. So, I'll give it some more time to test out, but so far so good.

Thanks for all the good info everyone!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Add one to the 06 TC count

Hello fellow MDXers,

My first post. Thanks to all you posters here, I was well informed when I got to the dealer.

List model year: 2006
Date/Mileage of failure: ~56k
Current mileage.: ~56k
Symptoms: Grinding/trans judder also vibration felt on steering 65mph and higher
Corrective action: New TC
Current status of trans. How does it feel? TBD next week
And cost, if any or $0: $0
Warranty, if you received one: Acura powertrain warranty

Question: The tech. mentioned that the vibration at higher speeds was also due to a bad TC. Is this true? Can someone explain why? Thanks much.

·
Registered
3 Posts
List model year. 2006
Date/Mileage of failure. 55k ish
Current mileage. 66k
Symptoms. driving 30-45mph with very light throttle, intermittent chugging sound like it was missing on one cylinder, rpm's pick up a couple hundred due to slippage each time. Worse when cold, not as noticeable when warmed up.
Corrective action. Reading this site and then going to start calling dealers
Current status of trans. How does it feel? Trans seems to work fine except for TC problem.
And cost, if any or $0.
Warranty, if you received one. Was certified used so assuming warranty will cover it.
It's doing it again on the new converter. I haven't extensively tested it but I felt it and my wife said it was doing it as well. Gonna do spark plugs first and then see if their latest program fixes it. Anyone have any luck getting them to replace one that had already had an issue and been replaced under warranty? There is an out of warranty "goodwill consideration" section on the service bulletin, hoping they come good on it or I will be a bit frustrated.

·
Registered
9 Posts
update

List model year. 2005
Date/Mileage of failure. 2009 June/86,000 km
Current mileage. 138,000km
Symptoms. Noise and vibration at ~40km/h, sometimes it felt like I was driving over some rough pavement but I was actually driving on smooth road, the engine seemed to be lugging.
Corrective action. Replaced Torque converter under warranty in 2009. Also updated PCM software in 2010.
Current status of trans. How does it feel? It feels great now (knock on wood).
And cost, if any or $0. Everything was under warranty, zero dollars.
Warranty, if you received one. CPO warranty

I've been paying the dealership to change the trans fluid regularly every 1 to 2 years.

521 - 540 of 576 Posts