Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.

I have pulled so much info from this site, now might be my chance to contribute.

My salesman let me sit in a sold 03 Touring tonight. My 03 TW touring and Navi comes in December.

He said that the 03's have a dual climate control. I said "you mean the front versus the back", he said "No, the passenger versus the driver". My wife was in the car at the time and I forgot to look for the control. I checked my brochure and this web site for mention of it and found nothing.

He might be wrong, or this might be common knowledge.

In any case, if it is true, I thought I would pass it along.

Can anyone confirm or deny?

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
I don't believe your salesman was correct on the 03 having dual front A/C controls. He probably was confused with the dual front/rear controls as meaning dual controls for the front.

·
Registered
26 Posts
yeah, I think your dealer is confused...The brouchure clearly states that the dual controls are front/rear. It is true most systems work pass/driver so your dealer may be confused by that.

It's my understanding that the MDX has a seperate HVAC system for the front/rear. You can actually have the heat on in the back and the AC on in the front. It's actually pretty neat. Can anyone confirm?

·
Registered
327 Posts
baliach said:

It's my understanding that the MDX has a seperate HVAC system for the front/rear. You can actually have the heat on in the back and the AC on in the front. It's actually pretty neat. Can anyone confirm?

Yes, you are correct. It is a nice feature.

·
Registered
319 Posts
That's too bad. Even my wife's mini-van has dual left/right temp controls. It's very useful. For a luxury class SUV, it's a definite oversight.

·
Registered
10,544 Posts
Quadrant controls?

Just curious, does anyone know of a vehicle that utilizes a "quadrant" climate control?

Left, Right, Front, and Back?

·
Registered
319 Posts
Chrysler/Dodge mini-vans; Front left and right, and rear.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Yeah we have an '01 Town and Country Ltd. and it has Auto Three Zone climate control...definitely a GREAT feature that I wish they had on the X.

·
Super Moderator
4,592 Posts
I keep on re-reading the option list and it looks like it means. DUAL front. with another in the rear like 01,02.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I'd agree that the brochure sure makes it sound like dual FRONT... with additional control for the rear.
...Set the controls once for fully automatic, climate-controlled heating and cooling of the entire MDX. Or set it for manual operation. In this mode, the driver and front passenger can establish a comfort zone for their area. Those in the second row can then set air circulation and temperature to their liking, since they have their own climate-control system and controls.
But, we've seen in other threads that the brochure isn't necessarily always 100% accurate (see the disclaimer here). ;)

The Acura website doesn't really mention it either:
The powerful, synchronized front and rear climate control system leads the class in heating and cooling times. One button sets the temperature, which the system will automatically hold even if the weather outside changes. A "Rear A/C Manual" button lets second-row passengers select the volume and temperature of the air flowing to the rear seats. Concealed ducts provide heated air to the second- and third-row passengers, and can also send cooled air to the second-row passengers. The system's 19,000 BTU capacity exceeds the heating and cooling capacity found in the average American home.
:8:

·
Registered
207 Posts
MDX4Now

I agree with you about all the gizmos that our T & C's have!!!! I, too, love all the programmable features of the trip computer, and the power doors are priceless!!!! Also, it really bothers me that on the T & C the steering wheel audio controls are MUCH more advanced than on the MDX; and how the remotes also are linked to the driver's radio presets!!! C'mon, Acura, get with it!!
The minivan is my father's....I was the one who actually convinced him to get it, though :4: One question for you on the climate control in them--we've had some mechanical probs. with ours since we got it in April (still new, but with a year of "lot-time"). The most recent seems to be that when you give the rear passengers control over their climate controls, the temp. for "rear" is not displayed on the center console in front. Now, I can't remember if it was before or not, but I am leaning towards yes. Meaning, we have another mech. problem. If we set it to "auto", then the temp. is displayed.

Oh, the MDX is for me....only 1 more month to go!!!!

·
Registered
470 Posts
On second (or third) thought...

I suppose that "their area" could (and probably does) refer to the entire "front" area -- driver and front passenger's (combined) area -- rather than their separate areas.

:confused:

·
Super Moderator
4,592 Posts
Re: MDX4Now

mauigrl721 said:
the temp. for "rear" is not displayed on the center console in front. Now, I can't remember if it was before or not, but I am leaning towards yes. Meaning, we have another mech. problem. If we set it to "auto", then the temp. is displayed.

Oh, the MDX is for me....only 1 more month to go!!!!
never had the display of temp for rear. either for all or for front when control is given to rear.

Edit: Doh I thought you meant the MDX....silly me.

·
Registered
26 Posts
warzau

We've all seen the '03 climate control display unit. It dosen't appear to have a left / right control. Unless there is a seperate display through the navi screen, I think its only front/rear.

Another question does come to mind however. Can those that have gotten their '03s comment on the color of the background for the ac and radio screens? On the '01/'02s the background was a grey with black letters/numbers. It appears in the brochure that the '03 has a blue background. But then again, only the Tour/Navi/Res model interior was shown.

There was some criticism in the press that the displays get washed out in some light. Wondering if that was another improvement.

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
Re: Quadrant controls?

mdxxxx said:
Just curious, does anyone know of a vehicle that utilizes a "quadrant" climate control?
Motorweek reviewed the new MB E-Class yesterday...it has 4-zone climate control...

·
Registered
453 Posts
mauigrl721

About your T&C, yes, when set for the rear control, whatever temperature they have in back should still show up on the front display.

That's one bad thing about Chrysler. It's great you can get $6,000 of sticker and have a really luxury filled vehicle with power trunk, chrome wheels, and what not, but having owned three, all of them seem to have little teething problems when you first get them. Nothing has ever stranded us anywhere, but just little annoyances that you encounter in the first year of a Chrysler, that one probably wouldn't encounter in an Acura.

Oh well, I guess luxury has its price :) I have to say, though, as long as my wife wants/needs a minivan, the Chrysler will always be tops in my books.

Sorry Odyssey, but a power driver's seat and leather just don't cut it as a "luxury van" in my book. It needs memory seats/mirrors/radio presets, power opening/closing trunk, trip computer, 3 zone automatic climate control, chrome wheels, load leveling suspension (something the Acura could use with heavy loads), outside temperature gauge, compass, power passenger seat, CD changer, and a nifty removable center console to ever get my vote out of a Chrysler van. :D

BUT back to the MDX's.........

·
Super Moderator
4,592 Posts
baliach said:
warzau

There was some criticism in the press that the displays get washed out in some light. Wondering if that was another improvement.

I think the criticism is unwarranted. The washout is inherent in any sunlight on any display be it crt or lcd. Everyone knows in the afternoon when you are at home and trying to watch tv if there is sunlight coming in it washes out the tv screen. Of course the only solution is to have some visor of some sort.

·
Registered
319 Posts
My wife drives a 98 Chrysler T&C. The MDX will be for me (if I can ever make up my mind). I have to admit, as we went around checking out all the SUV's (the short list is now the MDX and XC90), we always used the van as our bench-mark for features and gadgets. When we drive together, my wife is always setting the temp on her side warmer than mine. That's going to be a problem in the MDX. Oh well, as the captain, I get to pick the temp!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts