Registered
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The following two items are of interest:
wmquam wrote in the 03 MDX Changes thread
Post 5 - Changes that are just unconfirmed rumor
... "Enhanced" transmission ...
John O'Dell of the LA Times wrote in his article about Honda Transmissions
... [Mike] Spenser [a spokesman for Acura] said Honda engineers identified the root of the problems a few months ago and have redesigned the transmissions
Question: Is the enhanced transmission mentioned by wmquan and the resigned transmission mentioned by Mike Spenser just a coincidence?

If so, guess this means nothing.

If not, could mean that the enhancement is elimination of a transmission problem.

Thoughts anyone??

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
I don't think about transmissions anymore; I just use 'em (while trying, within reason, not to abuse 'em).

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
First, I'll say that IMHO, we really don't need yet another transmission thread. This thread could have just been a post in one of the 2003 threads. I understand that some people are concerned (and so am I, still), but twenty more tranny threads won't help any.

Next, since it's not totally clear what's in the 2003, it's just speculation. There is no definition on what "enhanced" is. It could be something as simple as them adding a SportShift transmission, like the auto-manuals on the M-class.

Anything else is just speculation at this point. I think we'll have to wait and see.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
wmquan,

Didn't put this in the 2003 thread because it didn't seem to fit. The topic didn't deal with the 2003 directly, just picked up a piece of the 2003 "info".

Didn't put this in the transmission problem thread because it doesn't claim that there is a transmission problem. Rather, I attempted to pick up info from distinct threads that "seemed" to reflect coincidence [note: "seemed", not necessarily true].

Thus, I chose to put this in general and label it as "coincidence ??".

If one of the moderators believes that this should be in the problem thread, then please relocate [I have no objection]. I do NOT believe that this has a place in the 2003 thread [enough speculation there already].

OK??????

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
srpbep said:
I do NOT believe that this has a place in the 2003 thread [enough speculation there already].
Heh, though I suppose that if the question posted here is to invite speculation on the correlation between speculation on widespread MDX transmission problems, and speculations on 2003 models, maybe it should go into an existing thread with too much speculation! :D

Unfortunately, even when the changes do hit, we may never know. Acura isn't going to advertised any changed 2003 transmission as "oh, by the way, it fixes potential issues in durability." We will only be left to speculate until years go by and more long-term numbers come in.

Sort of like how Toyota made a "design change" to its V6 engine but won't admit it was to address the controversial engine sludge issue.

·
** BANNED ** (enough is enough)
275 Posts
Some, and I do mean SOME of the remans. we've been getting for the TL/CL that have all new cases have some kind of "ribbing" along the top. Not much now, maybe just two square inches worth. Could be for some extra heat dissapation perhaps. We haven't been able to tell if it's for any purpose.

Rob

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
TheRobSJ,

Good to know that you are still hanging around ... not sure what is going on with the xmission thing, but there does appear to be something ... another mechanic indicated that there might be some MDX trans issues ... please DON'T say "told you so" ...

Do you have any info on the Accord [aka 4-speed] issue. Is there a "failure range" [in miles] where failure is most probable? Any info would be appreciated.

Enjoy

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
TheRobSJ said:
Some, and I do mean SOME of the remans. we've been getting for the TL/CL that have all new cases have some kind of "ribbing" along the top. Not much now, maybe just two square inches worth. Could be for some extra heat dissapation perhaps. We haven't been able to tell if it's for any purpose.

Rob
You don't think it's providing more case strength?

·
Registered
213 Posts

·
** BANNED ** (enough is enough)
275 Posts
DaleB said:

You don't think it's providing more case strength?
Judging by where the ribbing is, I'd say no. Seems like maybe it's additional heat dissapation for the pump. I've only seen it a couple of times, but they were brand new cases.

Rob

1 - 11 of 11 Posts