Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Being generally frustrated at the lack of progress on the topic of: can an 03 Nav DVD work in an 02/01 nav dvd player, I thought I'd broach the subject again.

Has anyone heard or actually performed and 03->02 transplant?

I emailed of the salesmen who frequent this board, but his response wasn't much help - he "heard" that either the DVD simply won't read it, or something else about the software (can't exactly remember and I tossed the email).

I haven't yet driven down to my local Acura yet to try it myself (rather far away) so I'm hoping we can get someone to do it who might be reading this post and actually has an 02 and 03 right there.

Rgds,

JohnW

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Johnw: I for one am not holding my breath that a successful "transplant" is possible. One question I have is whether the climate controls are controlled by the DVD disc or not. I guess it would just be a matter of ejecting disc and checking if trip computer and climate controls still function?. That would give me an idea as to whether different fan controls or features would be possible. I will say I have no idea how the system works. I agree with you that it is crazy that one of the dealer friends have not stepped up and "slammed' an 03 DVD into an 01/02 system and post results. If it doesn't read, it doesn't read. Would putting another DVD ruin anything???I am going to assume not. Till then I will sit back and wait. I already know that the coverage I assumed would have been expanded on the 03 DVD is not so......

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
JohnW, I seriously doubt......

.........that the '03 DVD will work in the older Nav system. I got my '03 MDX just over a week back. Out of curiosity, I checked the version info in the setup screen, and it said "version 1.000" (which to me indicates the first version of this kind......eg. future versions will be 1.100, 1.200 etc.)

·
Registered
699 Posts
Re: JohnW, I seriously doubt......

vicpai said:
.........that the '03 DVD will work in the older Nav system. I got my '03 MDX just over a week back. Out of curiosity, I checked the version info in the setup screen, and it said "version 1.000" (which to me indicates the first version of this kind......eg. future versions will be 1.100, 1.200 etc.)
The "1.000" version seems to bode ill for backwards compatibility, but version numbers don't always make sense (unless you have a marketing "brain"). The definitive test still awaits: someone should pop an '03 disc into an '02/'01.

·
Registered
452 Posts
I suggest that Vicpai and jonnygoodboy meet and try it out. Hey you are only a few miles apart. You could meet in van nuys or some lovely common place :p

Chris

·
3,109 Posts
This Q has already been answered in another thread. `02 Nav doesn't boot with `03 Nav DVD inserted.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Upgrade?

Ya' think or know if there is some type of upgrade that can be performed by Acura (or whomever) to my '01 X to take advantage of the '03 X Navi system ?

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm....

I've got to have that '03 Navi system in my '01....

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
I've had vast experience.....

..........using the 1st Generation Acura DVD Nav system (on my ex-2000 TL/Navi) ..........and from the differences I see between that system and the one on my '03 MDX, I'm TOTALLY CONVINCED that the software of these 2 systems are pretty much incompatible with each other, and here's why: .......Even though the BASIC LAYOUT is pretty much identical, the graphics, touch-screen response, calculation speed, accuracy, POI organization etc. etc. etc. are totally different (very much improved) and they have so many different functions (split screen, day/night mode and a ton of other things I noticed, that I can't even recall now)........there are TOO MANY functional differences to be just accounted for by a simple software upgrade. The second STRONG clue that lends credence to this belief, is the fact that when I looked up the "version info" on the setup screen on my '03 model, it said version 1.000 indicating the FIRST version of it's kind.

My speculation leads me to believe that when they do release the upgraded DVD for the 1st generation DVD Navi system ('01 and '02 models), it will probably contain the data (complete road network and 7 million POIs), but not the new functionality and graphics layout ......just my educated guessing......but I could be wrong!!

.......Unless, of course, what that General Manager of an Acura dealership was telling me is true, that Acura was planning to make some sort of "adapter kit" to retrofit older models with the new Navi system.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not to belabour this topic much further (I'm already resigned to the fact that I'm just gonna live with the 02 Nav system - which up until 2 months ago was the best :)

but...from what I understand, the software is in the DVD itself. The touch screen is just a touch screen. The player is just a player. So - there shouldn't be any "software" incompatibilities, since there's nothing to be incompatible with...it's all on the DVD.

I believe that the only prohibition is probably due to the fact that the 03 DVD is dual-layer (as proven in another thread by it's gold-ish hue), meaning the player is a dual-layer reader, and the 01/02 player probably can only read single-layer DVD's.

IF we could swap out the old player and get our hands on an 03....<sigh> never mind.

Rgds,

JohnW

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
I've done alot of software integration...

...and even have some experience with "low function terminals" which is a fancy name for systems that encompass the touchscreens. If you've ever been to a certain fast food chain that has a certain touchscreen cah register you are looking at one project I worked on. (btw the only High function terminal I've ever seen referenced is an obscure piece of hardware that IBM made for AIX systems that included it own off line storage....)

Anyhow, when dealing with systems that use "LFTs" for user interaction it is almost always true that specialized hardware handling routines are used for performance. The theory is that it would not be cost effective to have a generic CPU do all the display handling and other I/O tasks.

I suspect that is EXACTLY what happens with the Navi system. All the neat split screen, high speed recalculation, voice response COULD (theoretically) be done with a generic CPU and lots of software, but is it more cost effective to use specialized HARDWARE. Oddly, the terrific deals that CONSUMERS can get on Intel/AMD CPU's are simply not available to OEMs. They are stuck paying somewhat high prices for "embedded systems" when the FUNCTIONALITY could be duplicated with off-the-shelf consumer type hardware. The trade off is the development time for the software to run an embedded system with LFT access is roughly 20% of the time needed for a similar system on a generic CPU. The other nice by product is that the "OS" is so incredibly limited in functionality such embedded systems are very very much more stable than Windows, Linux, Mas OS or any other end-user interactive operating system...

Why does this matter? Well simply put, the thing under the seat is NOT "just a DVD player" it is the EMBEDDED HARDWARE CONTROLLER! The 03 even has a "hardware expansion slot". All that specialized HARDWARE is probably on one or two printed circuit boards that aren't even half as big a typical consumer type "motherboard". How small can this stuff get? Well Casio now sells a WRISTWATCH with GPS and limited Nav functions! The joys of micro-electronics...

·
Registered
452 Posts
zafer said:
This Q has already been answered in another thread. `02 Nav doesn't boot with `03 Nav DVD inserted.
Can you provide a link to this because I could not find it with a search and have not seen it.

Chris

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
I don't give a rats a$$ about the voice recognition... I don't care about the graphics.... I wouldn't listen to a man giving me directions....I don't care about the calculator....I don't care about the calender.(cool as it is)...I could care less about increased POI(They are useless for the most part)... All I want is COVERAGE. oh...and infinite fan control.:)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts