Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is kind of early but I planning on buying that '03 Touring Wheel for my X when it's out.

Any info if it's available yet?

Do we need a group buy for it later on? :2:

·
Registered
117 Posts
If you are referring to the wood-grain steering wheel for the '03 it's already available Tim's. I got mine last week..:)

·
Registered
50 Posts
but he already has a touring model, presumably with four touring wheels (and tires) per his signature line....????

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
For a full-size Michelin spare tire, I bet.

·
Registered
8,099 Posts
RedMDX said:
but he already has a touring model, presumably with four touring wheels (and tires) per his signature line....????
Duh!!!:32:

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry... I met the Full size spare tire rims for the '03 Touring MDX.

I assume from what I read that it will fit in the wheel well where the temporary spare sits.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Full Size Spare

There's lots of stuff on the site re the full size spare.

Re availability: It is sold as a "replacement part", not an accessory. I am sure that Tim at Hondacuraworld can get one. I "assume" it will cost $200.00 like the 01/02 rims purchased from Tim (might be slightly more/less expensive). Best way to find out is to give Tim a call.

Re buying one: I wouldn't have it any other way. My wife is getting ready to take an 800 mile trip. Sure do feel better knowing she has a real spare should she need it.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Re: Full Size Spare

srpbep said:

Re buying one: I wouldn't have it any other way. My wife is getting ready to take an 800 mile trip. Sure do feel better knowing she has a real spare should she need it.
Ditto That. Also, I was reading that VSA should be off if you use the temporary spare.

Tim,

Can you find out the pricing?

Thanks.

Will

:cool: :6:

·
Registered
10,544 Posts
Will4271 said:
Sorry... I met the Full size spare tire rims for the '03 Touring MDX.

I assume from what I read that it will fit in the wheel well where the temporary spare sits.
You assume correctly. I have a full size spare, and recommend you get one from Tim. (www.hondacuraworld.com)

·
Premium Member
5,255 Posts
Re: Full Size Spare

srpbep said:
There's lots of stuff on the site re the full size spare.

Re availability: It is sold as a "replacement part", not an accessory. I am sure that Tim at Hondacuraworld can get one. I "assume" it will cost $200.00 like the 01/02 rims purchased from Tim (might be slightly more/less expensive). Best way to find out is to give Tim a call.
Pricing is the same. We make part number adjustments as needed with the vehicle model year, which is entered on checkout.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks. I assume that the tire is not included.:4:

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Your assumption is correct, $200.00 is for the aluminum wheel.

Tim also can provide you with the OEM Michelin. We bought a spare Touring rim/tire from Tim for our 02. Tim's prices were good for the tire as well. As I remember, the tire was somewhere between $140-150. Please note that my memory may be incorrect and/or tire prices could have changed. The one thing I can assure you of is that it isn't worth the time to "price shop Tim". If you can buy it any cheaper elsewhere you won't save enough to waste the time. When the whole package costs $340-350, what difference can $5-10 make when you only have to deal with one supplier, Tim is reliable, yada yada yada.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
It is $142 for the OEM Michelin tire from Tim. (At least that is the price I got). $180 for the rim (Group Buy). Then I spend $9 for mount and balance at local COSTCO tire store.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Anybody thought of possibly using steel wheel for the spare? I know that MDX doesn't come with the steel one but some other wheel might fit. Also I might be cheap, but I'm sure I can't find some cheaper tire (it's a temporary spare tire, remember?). There is also free roadside assistance, right? Just my though...

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
JTM said:
It is $142 for the OEM Michelin tire from Tim. (At least that is the price I got). $180 for the rim (Group Buy). Then I spend $9 for mount and balance at local COSTCO tire store.
I hope that we get another group buy for the '03 Touring Wheel again.
:D

·
Registered
149 Posts
Miro:

ONe advantage of having the same tire/rim for the spare as you have on the rest of the vehicle is doing a "5-Tire" rotation. This will extend the life of all of the tires. (Thereby saving additional money, if that is a big concern):1:

·
3,109 Posts
JTM said:
Then I spend $9 for mount and balance at local COSTCO tire store.
Did they bang on the standard ugly weights, or use interior stick-ons?

·
Premium Member
5,255 Posts
DavidM said:
Miro:

ONe advantage of having the same tire/rim for the spare as you have on the rest of the vehicle is doing a "5-Tire" rotation. This will extend the life of all of the tires. (Thereby saving additional money, if that is a big concern):1:
I always advise against rotating the spare into the mix, rather keep it until you need two tires, then you only have to buy one :4:

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Curious . . .

hondacuraworld said:

I always advise against rotating the spare into the mix, rather keep it until you need two tires, then you only have to buy one :4:
Just wondering, if the OEM tires last apprx 60,000 miles, and let's assume that will be apprx 4 years, is it safe to keep the spare that long and then place it into service with 3 new tires ? Wondering if the tire compound begins to weaken and you get cracks or hardening of the spare tire . . . then there's also the chance that they change the tread design and the spare won't match the other 3 new tires ? Just wondering if doing the 5 wheel rotation might be a good idea . . .

1 - 20 of 23 Posts