Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am getting my parent's old 03 MDX as a first car and as it doesn't have a stereo system that I can use my phone with I would like to replace it with an aftermarket part but I wanted to see if anyone has already done that and if so what parts they used. Thanks!

·
Registered
440 Posts
Lots of people have done this. You need a dash kit and a wiring adapter and a steering wheel remote adapter if you want the buttons to work.

Does it have the Bose system? If that still works and you want to keep the speakers, you'll also need a line level adapter.

Does it have a navigation screen? If so you will need to do the CANBUS resistor bypass so the screen still works.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, I have both the BOSE system and the navigation screen, I just want to replace the CD player system on the bottom with a stereo/navigation type screen.

·
Registered
440 Posts
This just happened to come up today on the 1G Acura Facebook forum, but it isn't a complete explanation.

• Dash trim, frame, and wiring kit. Metra makes this one, other companies do too
  • If you want to retain your steering wheel remote control you need an adapter like this. Other companies make a version
  • To use the Bose speaker and amp combo with an aftermarket stereo you need something like this. Other companies make a version.
  • You need to do the CANBUS resistor bypass

·
Registered
460 Posts
My son added a Pioneer Apple CarPlay/Android Auto radio last year to my previous 2006 MDX Touring/Navigation model.

Had the new radio installed at Best Buy, and provided the bezel trim he bought on Amazon. Replaced the 13 year-old Bose CD changer/radio, but retained steering wheel radio controls and the original speakers with what I believe was some sort of $50 add-on. He did lost voice capability to the ancient nav system, but that wasn’t the end of the world.

He’s been happy with it.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello, I am getting my parent's old 03 MDX as a first car and as it doesn't have a stereo system that I can use my phone with I would like to replace it with an aftermarket part but I wanted to see if anyone has already done that and if so what parts they used. Thanks!
If your stereo system works well, you should consider a Bluetooth FM transmitter. I bought an Anker Roav on Amazon 2 years ago for about $20. and am very happy with it. You simply leave it plugged into your cigarette lighter, set the car radio to 95.1 FM and it connects automatically with your cell phone and you can listen to music & have hands free phone conversations. My two cents... good luck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts