Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,
I've spent many months trying to debug my navigation problems, but I'll try to get to the point as quickly as possible.

I now have 2 nav units (I bought a second one to help with debug), we'll call them (A) and (B). I park the car in a location where I have previously received 5-6 satellite signals. I plugged the nav unit (B) in and let the car run while it spent the 10 minutes trying to acquire GPS signal. Now, however, with this particular unit, I only get one lousy satellite and of course it will not obtain lock. Every time I power up NAV unit (B), it thinks I'm in New York City somewhere. I continued to drive it back home and I could see that it picked up at most 3 satellites, but they were all grouped up on a cardinal direction (N,S,E,W) depending on where the car was facing (See photo). Usually if the satellites are in use and I have a good signal, I see the satellites spread out all over the grid. But that is no longer the case.

I worried that I may have fried the antenna somehow, so I switched to the other NAV unit (A), but it pulls in 5-6 satellites as expected. So I put the NAV unit (B) back in, but still, only a weak antenna signal and the satellites all seem to come from the same direction.

So my question is this: Is there some sort of memory or settings that need to be wiped out or reset on the NAV units that may be messing me up? Is there a reason it might not be supplying full power to the antenna?

I'll also mention that I've been swapping the internal DVD drives (with the laser assembly) out of these NAV units to try and see which ones are good and which are bad. But since the units load from disc just fine, I don't see how or why that would be a factor since I'm using the same DVD disc every time. Both of these NAV units have only ever used the original orange disc from 2002.

I would just stick to using Nav unit (A), but unfortunately this unit seems to reheat and reboot after about 45 minutes of driving.

Attachments

·
Registered
51 Posts
Where did the second nav unit come from? Are you certain what year it came from?

The FSM states that 03 and 04 parts are not compatible with 01,02, and 05. And cannot be used even for troubleshooting.

Looking at the wiring diagrams, the antenna receives 5 volts Data is on 1 signal wire and one shield ground. So if the unit is a compatible, and the 5 volt output is good it's likely the GPS receiver in the nav unit.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well as I mentioned, I drove it home last night and all 3 satellites were showing from the same cardinal direction and it had no idea where I was.

However, today I started the MDX up and just for grins I hit the 'map' button and lo and behold it knows where I am. I checked the GPS Satellite info and I'm still seeing 3 satellites but now they're in the correct spots, arranged at various points on the grid, and able to triangulate my position.

It surprises me that it will fail to find a signal during the 10 minute 'finding a signal phase' after you reconnect the Nav unit, but then it somehow figures things out even in an area with low satellite visibility while the car is off?

Anyway, from what I'm learning, that confirms that my Nav unit (B) that I pulled from the salvage yard is still good. and also, you can't go replacing the DVD reader unit inside the Nav because it may cause problems, Even though it's an exact fit and the Nav unit may be able to Load from Disc.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.