Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:rolleyes:

I am still in my first month of my Black/ebony 03 MDX and although enjoying it very much, I am averaging only 13-14mpg during the first 4 fill ups. I am driving a combination of city-short trips and highway. Is this just a low break-in period or are other 03 owners finding the same results? I believe it has little to do with my driving habits since I have owned many new cars and vans and am usually close to the "sticker" numbers. Current owner of a 01 CL type S averaging 20-21MPG with similar city/highway driving as well as past owner of minivans including 94 Quest, 97 Quest, 2000 Grand Caravan. Even those Vans averaged between 16(caravan) and 18mpg for both Quests. Anyone out there with similar results? Is it perhaps the new 03 engine? or new 03 transmission? Just my MDX since I'm sure each MDX is alittle different? By the way, as a 4 time Acura owner - I am still a very happy owner!!

·
Registered
10,544 Posts
steve levenson said:
[B...
I am still in my first month of my Black/ebony 03 MDX and although enjoying it very much, I am averaging only 13-14mpg during the first 4 fill ups. I am driving a combination of city-short trips and highway. Is this just a low break-in period or are other 03 owners finding the same results? ...[/B]
Yes, your mpg will improve over time... Congratulations steve levenson... the fun is just beginning...

·
Registered
700 Posts
Steve - In my previous posts I noted my concern with mileage as well. Not near what I thought I should be getting. On a recent tow trip, all freeway, 13.3mpg with about 2,000 lbs behind me.

For a test I tried turning the auto AC off and just use the blower. Results - 1-2mpg increase in town.

Lighten-up a bit on the pedal will also help.

Great car indeed, but I sure would like some improved MPG.

-Greg

03 SS/Quartz/Nav/Res

·
Registered
15 Posts
On my first tank of gas - Computer shows 19mpg over about 250 miles of mixed driving, mostly city. Will see what the actual is when I fill up.

There is no doubt that mileage varies - Several cars ago I had a Jeep Grand Cherokee 4 Liter 6 Cylinder, I usually averaged 15-16, when my wife drove it 10-12.

·
Registered
66 Posts
We have had our MDX since mid December (1700 miles plus and counting) and we have been as low as 17.9 MPG to as high as 21.0 MPG. The time we got that 17.9 MPG, we had done quite a few errands around the city. The rest is highway miles. At that time we decided that we should use the Acura TL for errands and leave the X for highway trips.

Also, in our case, the trip computer has been accurate in the calculation of "average MPG".

One more item to mention, which has been mentioned in this site before, is that people put the trip computer screen on to see how the instant MPG meter is behaving. I have done this from time to time and has helped me improve it as well.

·
Registered
8 Posts
We drive about 20% city / 80% highway. After about 1950 miles we are averaging around 18.0 mpg.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Gas Mileage!

First fillup was almost 17MPG 20%highway(from the dealership),80%town,and I wanted more!After reading these post I guess I'm happy.Premium is NOW $1.69 in Nashville!
Tom :4:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Has anybody tried 89 octone on the MDX rather than the Premium. If so, any problems?

·
Registered
244 Posts
We are averaging about 17-18 mpg with 1,700 miles.

50% city / 50% hwy.

I was expecting 19mpg as EPA is 17city / 23hwy...

We'll see as we add a few more miles....
:(

·
Registered
10,544 Posts
sixthacura said:
Has anybody tried 89 octone on the MDX rather than the Premium. If so, any problems?
Plenty of info regarding pros/cons of octane... try searching keywords "octane", "premium", ect...

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
I've owned my 2003 for 11 days and currently have 589 miles on it. From day one to now I've seen my MPG avg go from 14.2 to 15.9 (current). I'm assuming this is due to the break-in period and it will continue to go up.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I've put on over 3300 kilometers, and I am now averaging 15 mpg. It hasn't budged since.

2003 SS MDX - cdn model - res,back up sensor,cargo net,Husky all weather floor mats and cargo tray

·
Registered
203 Posts
Welcome to the org Steve. My last fill up I replaced 16.9 gals for 366 miles = 21.7 mpg. These were commuting miles with very little around town. I just rolled over 4200 miles on my X. Like fine wine and marriages, it improves with time. :4:

·
Registered
120 Posts
My wife drives the X more than I do. She must have a lead foot, or it's just where/how we live/drive. We rarely get more than 12-13 mpg in nearly 100% stop and go city driving (with big hills). :3:

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Since mpg will improve within several thousand miles, I think it is not realistic to worry about what a difference another gas grade will make, etc.
Actually, if you do some searches on the subject, when differences were noted, higher mpg usually always favored higher octane fuel in the case of the MDX.
I guess most often than not, just follow the owner's manual.

·
Registered
115 Posts
How does the Trip Computer actually calculate the gas mileage? Is it accurate?

·
Registered
335 Posts
I'm not sure how it calculates it (I'm sure one of the experts here will chime in...), but mine has been pretty accurate. I've been calculating it each time I fuel up and it has never been off by more that .2 MPG. :)

·
Registered
139 Posts
I have been hand calculating my mileage on my 03' and comparing it to the trip computer at each fill-up. I find the trip computer to be within +/-0.5 MPG.

·
Registered
129 Posts
03 vs 02 mileage

With more power at all rpms over the 02, the 03 would have to have some really cool efficiencies to stay the same. It has more power, weighs more and remapping of VTM sends more to rear wheels when you start from a stop. This tends to hammer city driving. My 03 is 2 mpg lower than my 02. However, the engine is much smoother and revs stronger and higher. Hope things improve with break in, then will go to Amsoil or new Mobil 1 5w20.
However, my 03 trip computer calculates gas used to within 1 mpg which the 02 did not.
INKY

·
Registered
818 Posts
Re: 03 vs 02 mileage

inky said:
However, my 03 trip computer calculates gas used to within 1 mpg which the 02 did not.
INKY
My '01 MDX trip computer has always calculated my mpg within 1 mpg????

1 - 20 of 20 Posts