Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all, let me tell you guys that i'm deeply in love with the MDX ever since it first came out. However, due to my financial insecurities, i had to put my dream on a hold. Now, with the current economy getting a little bit better, I can breath easier. Ok! back to the MDX now! I'm having trouble deciding on which MDX with Touring Package to get. Should I order an 02' MDX now with roughly 1 1/2 month waiting period? or Should I wait to order the 03' model with an unquestionable longer waiting period? Since you guys are the MDX gurus, i need your inputs!!! What are some of the differences between 02' and 03 models? bodystyle? engine? features? options?? Any info on this topic is very helpful to me! Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
53 Posts
welcome!

Hey - I am in the same situation you are in. You have come to the right place - this forum will become addicting...
I found the best way of utilizing the forum is using the search feature. In the small orange font near the header of this web page - click on that and search 03 or 2003.
There has been a ton of speculation on this matter but quite frankly not one of us knows whats going into the 03. Anything from automatic up/down windows to James Bond-like ejection seats has been speculated.
See you 'round the hood.

·
Registered
147 Posts
kraziedn said:
First of all, let me tell you guys that i'm deeply in love with the MDX ever since it first came out. However, due to my financial insecurities, i had to put my dream on a hold. Now, with the current economy getting a little bit better, I can breath easier. Ok! back to the MDX now! I'm having trouble deciding on which MDX with Touring Package to get. Should I order an 02' MDX now with roughly 1 1/2 month waiting period? or Should I wait to order the 03' model with an unquestionable longer waiting period? Since you guys are the MDX gurus, i need your inputs!!! What are some of the differences between 02' and 03 models? bodystyle? engine? features? options?? Any info on this topic is very helpful to me! Thanks in advance.
I'm kinda in the same place as you, although I've already put down a deposit for the 2003. I was 13th on the list as of March 12th for the 2003. If you are thinking of going with the 2003, might as well put down a deposit now and get on a list before it gets to big. Most likely your delaer would give you a call if they are trying to push any 2002's out before they can order '03s. Mine called and said they had a Silver touring w/nav as 2002 if I wanted it right away, I said no thanks, I'll still go with the 2003.

The only rumored change that Motor Trend published was that the 2003 may have a bigger engine 3.8L and more hp.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I decided to wait for a 2003' model. I did a search for 2003 MDX within this forum. I had found a lot of interesting speculations. If all of those things are true, It'd be worth my waiting for 2003. The dealer here said that they have no info for it. They don't even know if the base or the touring package is still available in next year model. They told me to wait till August or September to put in my deposit. At that time, they might have more details on 03 MDX! Gosh!!! the wait is killing me!!!

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Reality...

kraziedn said:
I decided to wait for a 2003' model. I did a search for 2003 MDX within this forum. I had found a lot of interesting speculations. If all of those things are true, It'd be worth my waiting for 2003. The dealer here said that they have no info for it. They don't even know if the base or the touring package is still available in next year model. They told me to wait till August or September to put in my deposit. At that time, they might have more details on 03 MDX! Gosh!!! the wait is killing me!!!
All of us posting regularly here are just regularly "Joes & Janes". There were one or two posters who seemed to have insider info, but they sort of faded away...

I'm sure the Acura product planners lurk every once in awhile, just as they do at Edmunds (but we are WAY more active & informed ;) ) they probably think they same way we do -- what has to be done to stay competitive!

The engine output thing is something that Acura has been a leader in -- the most visible part of their ties to Honda Racing.

The long list of "wishes" comes from other Honda/Acura vehicles & 'MDX alternatives'.
While the MDX is by no means "long in the tooth" I'm sure that many features have come into wide acceptance that were not available when it was first concieved. In the initial offering Honda/Acura had to work very closely with suppliers to ensure start-up went smoothly. Then they had to work to ramp up Pilot production. NOW the can work on the "little extras". Acura has done the same thing before...

I suspect that Acura will have a long list of LITTLE changes for the MDX and is probably finallizing that list now, so that in LATE fall things go smoothly --

the long wait begins!

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
I don't think we will hear till September or October. That's what happened last year.

·
Registered
53 Posts
DEALER COMMENTS

Went to one of the local dealers yesterday - I asked about the changes in the 03... He thought it would be an upgrade in power (like some of you have suspected in the 04) and a reverse indicator. Personally, I think both of these are unnecessary changes - there is plenty of power for me and I can reverse with the best of them!
Just wish they would admit the mistake and bring back Granite Green.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Not quite Granite green, but anthracite will be one of the new colors, my dealer told me. I think it's one of the colors of the 2003 TLs.

·
Registered
6,809 Posts

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Re: DEALER COMMENTS

MDXtheFIXX said:
Went to one of the local dealers yesterday - I asked about the changes in the 03... He thought it would be an upgrade in power (like some of you have suspected in the 04) and a reverse indicator. Personally, I think both of these are unnecessary changes - there is plenty of power for me and I can reverse with the best of them!
Just wish they would admit the mistake and bring back Granite Green.
Well, we expect a more major engine change or option in '04 and it looks like there could be an HP bump in '03.

If a reverse indicator is a warning for people behind you it's not a bad idea.
There is talk about an optional camera in back (like the Pilot) which would be even better.

Of course I am biased when it comes to GG, but you would think if sales show a particular color in high demand, they would continue it. But there I go using logic again.

·
Registered
166 Posts
If they don't bring it (GG) back, it's ok with me because it becomes a "classic" color ;)

I hope they do change a few colors, though, as the choices are now somewhat limited. In any case, I'm still glad I went with an '02 model (especially if there is a price increase).

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
SonShine said:
If they don't bring it (GG) back, it's ok with me because it becomes a "classic" color ;)

I hope they do change a few colors, though, as the choices are now somewhat limited. In any case, I'm still glad I went with an '02 model (especially if there is a price increase).
Very good point! Could put the car in greater demand 'used'. As if I can even think of my MDX being used. But I will settle on exclusive!

·
Registered
53 Posts
More HP in '03 - bigger engine modification in '04 - makes you want to keep looking to the next year I suppose. Oh well, I would like to see a little more horsepower to really bring it to the top of the list - maybe dual climate control and adjustable pedals would be nice also.

·
Registered
968 Posts
I think they are boosting it to at least 260HP so it will match the Jeep Cheeroke, if not 280hp.

I just hope that they do not mess up the engine reliablilty. Didn't hear much on stablity control as a sure thing?

I hope they have it in '03 beside the curtain airbags.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
351 Posts
jofam said:
Not quite Granite green, but anthracite will be one of the new colors, my dealer told me. I think it's one of the colors of the 2003 TLs.
What in the world is anthracite??? What color does that look like?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
To me, anthracite is a darker silver coler, grayish looking. The BMW has a similar color to anthracite on the Z3 and it looks awesome. I don't know how it will look on the X, but the anthracite TL looks horrible. It looks like a dirty old man's underwear. YUCK!!!

·
Registered
351 Posts
A2MDXer said:

Wow, you probably will not get this description in the Acura marketing materials!:D
Just the name "anthracite" sounds like some kind of disease or venomous insect. It must be the post-911 anthrax scares sticking in my mind. If acura chooses that color, I hope they change the name to something better sounding!! :2: :eek: :D

·
Registered
48 Posts
Geeze!

It definitely doesn't look like "a dirty old man's underwear"!

We actually happen to love our Anthracite TL-S, and had to wait for one to come up for purchase. It's very metallic and seems to change color dependant on the level of sunshine.

I think it'd look fabulous on an MDX...

Attachments

1 - 20 of 48 Posts