Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, what can i say....you're all expecting gratuitous words of praise and ass-kissing of the new MDX...and, you got it. Can't believe:
* lack of body sway
* smoothnesss of tranny
* car-likeness
* power [I ain't kiddin]
* quietness...very unexpected...my ML320 is much louder
* seat comfort - forgettaboutit...
* visabiltiy - put my ML heat shield on my MDX window to see if it woulld fit and it covered about 70% of the glass...nuff said
* Power...did i say that already? I hit a freeway onramp an I KNOW i can merge seemlessly...feels like my wife's Porshe almost.....
* Width...my Callaway golf bag fits sideways with about 8" more of space than before
* Quietness with the sunroof open...50% or so quieter than my ML.....
* Quietness with the sunnroof closed: ... maybe 10-20%...but makes the sound system sound better - see next bullitt....
*Sound System: Bose upgraded in my '00ML 320, and this Touring Bose system kicks it' ass......read alot of post about folks upgrading their speakers, etc ... realize now that those were posts from audiophiles...I'm a normal dude that's here to tell you: this Touring Bose soound system is absolutely fine for the res of us!

IMHO

The Stump-Like One

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
stumpie said:
......read alot of post about folks upgrading their speakers, etc ... realize now that those were posts from audiophiles...I'm a normal dude that's here to tell you: this Touring Bose soound system is absolutely fine for the rest of us!

I had originally planned to upgrade the speakers after reading posts here before I received my MDX. I, like you, found the stereo more than adequate and do not see a need to upgrade now.

·
Registered
10,544 Posts
stumpie said:
* quietness...very unexpected...my ML320 is much louder
* seat comfort - forgettaboutit...
* visabiltiy - put my ML heat shield on my MDX window to see if it woulld fit and it covered about 70% of the glass...nuff said
* Quietness with the sunroof open...50% or so quieter than my ML.....
* Quietness with the sunnroof closed: ... maybe 10-20%...but makes the sound system sound better
I learn something new every day. The bullets above surprised me. Thanks for your input!

:4:

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
Glad to hear the good news. Look forward to more.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Stumpie,

Does Seat Comfort - forgetaboutit mean it's good comfort or not good comfort?

Been enjoying your day-by-day reports. I'm still waiting for my Silver NAVI since August coming into Bakersfield CA who knows when? At least I can get some vicarious driving in.

Pat :4:

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
pdempsey said:
Stumpie,

Does Seat Comfort - forgetaboutit mean it's good comfort or not good comfort?

Been enjoying your day-by-day reports. I'm still waiting for my Silver NAVI since August coming into Bakersfield CA who knows when? At least I can get some vicarious driving in.

Pat :4:
...means good....headrest doesn't want to stay all the way down, for some reason, but the comfort is there....by the way, I sorta like the 'perforations' (holes) everywhere as well - on the doors, seats, steering wheel, etc....hard to explain why, but they're cool.

Was wondering...can anyone tell me if the wood stick shift knob is larger, ie bigger head, than the stock one? Stock one is too small , IMO...

·
Registered
28 Posts
We got our '3 touring/RES X the same evening Stumpie got his. We tried to buy an '02 about a year ago, too long a wait, needed a car, so we bought an '02 RL. We love the RL, great car. This year we planned ahead, ordered, and got the X as we turned in a Lincoln Navigator.

Our Impressions so far:
- Agree with everything Stumpie says, "and even more so.."

- While it doesn't handle and ride as well as the RL, the X is definitely in a class of its own amoung SUVs. Way ahead of all the SUVs we have owned over the years, - quiet, snappy, good road manners, capable - "Understated Elegance".

- I would add, one of my most enjoyable moments is starting the engine. First impression is how quiet it is. After is starts, I have to check the tach to see if its running, absolutely no vibration, and very quiet. Second, I spent a career as a mech. engineer in the automotive industry, and I have never heard a 6 cyl come to life quite like this one, (no experience with '01 or '02 X's, so maybe its an MDX thing). It starts with a deep resonant authoritative rumble that puts the 300 hp V8 in the Lincoln to shame. I am really wondering how Acura has accomplished this. Am I crazy or have other '03 owners noticed this??

Regards to All, ADS99

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
What do you mean "... headrest doesn't want to stay all the way down, for some reason ..."?

What does it do, "pop up" or what?

·
Registered
118 Posts
I can't compare my 2003 to 2000-2002, but I do like it a lot. Can't wait to be done with break-in period so I can drive it a little more aggressive.

·
Registered
10,544 Posts
stumpie said:
...Was wondering...can anyone tell me if the wood stick shift knob is larger, ie bigger head, than the stock one? Stock one is too small , IMO...
There are at least 3 versions of the wood shift knob out there. The version I have is approx. the same size as the leather knob.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
miro said:
I can't compare my 2003 to 2000-2002, but I do like it a lot. Can't wait to be done with break-in period so I can drive it a little more aggressive.
Interestingly enough, my salesman said there was no special break-in driving mode required....:confused:

·
Registered
136 Posts
Interestingly enough, my salesman said there was no special break-in driving mode required....
I have been told the same thing on my last 2 new vehicles.

What's the real deal?

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
...only thing he said that's different about the begining phase of the car was that the engine had 'special break-in fluids' in it for the period of 0 miles to 1st oil change....I, too, would like to know the real scoop.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I was told by my salesman, and I believe the owner's manual states the same thing, to simply vary the RPM's for the first 500-600 miles. In other words, don't use the cruise control. He also suggested that I not tow anything until after the break-in period.

Since this thread is not about "break-in period," here's my $0.02 about the '03 (I've had mine for almost a week now...only about 200 miles):

- ride is incredibly smooth
- handling is very good, especially considering it's a 4k lb.+ vehicle
- engine is very quiet
- very little road or wind noise
- leather is soft and the seats are comfortable
- good sound system* (see my note below)
- I like the auto wipers, just a little too sensitive for my taste

* I wouldn't consider myself an "audiophile," but more of a "audio enthusiast." (I have invested about $3k into my home system, if that helps.) I would have to say that, unless you're an "audiophile," you will be happy with the Bose - I am! I had the Mach 460 sound system in my Mustang GT (which has been voted the #1 system in an auto priced under $30k), and it sounded great. But you have to consider that the Mustang, obviously, had a lot less air space to fill with sound. Now, consider the X has a lot more air space to fill with music, I think it does a dern good job of it!

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
I agree that the '03 is a great vehicle. On my short wish list would be a sensitivity adjustment for the auto headlights.

·
Registered
28 Posts
As a salesperson at an Acura dealership, I can attest to the fact that the 2003 MDX is improved. While you can check out the specifics of the upgrades at www.hondanews.com, it all translates to:

smoother & quieter ride, more responsive steering and braking and a few tiny upgrades to features (auto lights, rain-sensing wipers)

Another thing I noticed was that Acura improved a couple of little things that I have seen customers question on the 2002 models. For example, on the trip computer screen, when adjusting the fan speed - on the 2002 models, you could only toggle up. On the 2003 models, you can go up or down.

Here in Texas we have one 2002 and two 2003 models on the ground. They have been going fast though. I have not seen one sell at less than MSRP, but have heard of discounts on accessories. It is interesting to see what dealerships around the country are offering on the 2003 MDX. I recently sold a 2002 model to a couple that was moving to Vermont because they were told they would have to wait for months to get one.

By far my favorite vehicle we have on the lot. Saving up my pennies to buy one!

[email protected]

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
sports007girl...

One comment comparing the 2003 MDX with the earlier models has been about the stereo audio controls on the steering wheel and how they look and feel somewhat cheaper than before. Didn't you notice that?:confused:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Controls on the new 2003 steering wheels do look different and a little cheaper by some standards. However, they do more. Previously, there were 3 buttons - Volume Up, Volume Down and the "Next" button. The 2003 MDX uses a 3 button system, but the middle button is for volume up & down, the other two are for Mode & Channel (the Next button). Some previous owners complained about the inability to switch between fm/am/cd in the 2002 models.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Toggling between radio/tape/and cd is nice feature. Let me guess.....if you are on tape and you want cd but radio is in between you have to toggle through radio mode?

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
g_dog01 said:

- good sound system* (see my note below)

* I wouldn't consider myself an "audiophile," but more of a "audio enthusiast." (I have invested about $3k into my home system, if that helps.) I would have to say that, unless you're an "audiophile," you will be happy with the Bose - I am! I had the Mach 460 sound system in my Mustang GT (which has been voted the #1 system in an auto priced under $30k), and it sounded great. But you have to consider that the Mustang, obviously, had a lot less air space to fill with sound. Now, consider the X has a lot more air space to fill with music, I think it does a dern good job of it!
Welcome to the "Bose Stereo in the MDX is good" club.

Many others on this site disagee but my opinion is the same as yours.

After reading posts on this site prior to receiving my X I had planned to do upgrades.

After receing my X I found no upgrades were necessary IMHO.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts