Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This thread is aimed at '03 owners, because I think it might have something to do with the drive-by-wire throttle...

After starting the X, back out of a parking space (or the driveway, or whatever), put it in drive, and then after a second or two I feel a "tap" on the gas pedal, then another "tap" a couple seconds later. That's it...two taps. Everything seems normal and operates properly, though. I don't think there is anything wrong, but I just wanted to find out if any other '03 owners notice the same thing.

Thanks.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Yes!!! Exactly!!! I've felt the tapping on the gas pedal too, but didn't know what it was. Didn't know how to describe it either, but I know exactly what you're talking about. It's only happened a few times and not enough for me to pinpoint when exactly it happens, but would like to know what this is and what is causing it. Thanks for your post. Without it, I wouldn't have known even how to post what was happening.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for replying, BruinMDX. On mine, it happens every time I start it. However, like I said in my post above, I don't think there is anything wrong - everything seems to work properly...I think it just has something to do with the drive-by-wire throttle, but I'm glad to learn that I'm not the only one!! :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
My 03 does this everytime after I start it and put it in drive for the first time. I had a hard time trying to find a search to even describe it. I think mine actually does it 3 small times but only on the first take off after starting.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hadn't noticed

I have a new '03 touring/navi, and to digress a moment, how do I put the particulars in a signature line? Okay, have not noticed any tapping but I come to the forum to learn these things, so I will be listening and feeling for it now! For sure I will post if it occurs, even if it doesn't too. Love this place!

·
Registered
26 Posts
To add info. go to your profile and enter whatever you like.

The tapping vibration is felt very slightly through the gas pedal on the first take off after starting and going into drive. At least that is when it occurs in my 03.

·
Registered
93 Posts
tapping noise

I've been getting the tapping every time my car is a little cold. I asked the my local Acura Dealer if they have had any problems like this and they said they have not experienced any problems as of yet. When I get my first oil change, if the problem still exists, I'm going to have them take a look into it.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Profile?

Okay, really checked out here, but how do I get to My Profile?

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Hi All:

___Sorry for the OT post but I am going to be looking for the accelerator movement as well …

___Rn4fun, click on the orange Control Panel link on this page above the thread --> Edit Profile --> Type what you want in the Signature section.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email protected]

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
Any of you have an 03 service manual? I wonder whether it's some sort of servo self-test w/r/t the drive-by-wire. There's still something that's gotta sense gas pedal position and provide resistance to your foot so it feels like "the old fashioned way".

Just taking a stab here, of course.

·
Registered
46 Posts
i know exactly what you guys are talking about. i dont think it is anything to worry about, my beauty does it as well.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I've had mine for about 2 1/2 weeks now, and I have yet to notice any tapping from the pedals, but I will pay closer attention.

2003 SS MDX - cdn model - res,back up sensor,cargo net,Husky all weather floor mats and cargo tray

·
Registered
41 Posts
Thanks so much...

Easy enough, now, how to make the signature in a different color?

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Hi Rn4fun:

___This may help: vB code

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email protected]

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hello
We took delivery of 2003 touring recently, haven't noticed the tapping but will check next time driving. From my aviation background with fly-by-wire, I think the WORM has the correct explanation.:)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Again, thanks so much

Late here, tired, will attack the color signature tomorrow. Had the wonderful "opportunity", if you can call it that, to drive the X in a major white out today in Colorado......Well, let me just say that it was a dream, and thankfully to the posters here I did not even freak out when the brakes pulsed when I stopped at traffic lights on snow and ice, I knew it was supposed to happen! Lane changes with snow packed roads were easy, it all felt very stable and secure, steep downhill and steep climbing alike. What a joy after three years of a Saab, no comparison, no way I'd ever go back, that was a hair-raising event every time it snowed. Still no gas pedal tapping, and my ears are tuned.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Had mine at the dealer to fix the seat rail and had them check the tapping. They told me they couldn't get it to repeat the problem although I can get it to do it everytime. Start it put it in drive and press the gas lightly....you get two taps about 1 second apart. They said it may be the brake pads releasing from the rotors and since the gas and brake pedal are on the same mount the vibration is transmitted to the gas pedal. They moly coated all the calipers but it is still there.

I know its not the brakes but I'm also not worried at all about this issue. I guess its just something to get used to. My wife doesn't notice it either.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I have something very similar (vibration through the gas pedal at first take-off) to this (just noticed in the last 3 days) but I have a '02! Explain that....

Everything seems to work fine, but I'm very curious...

·
Registered
128 Posts
i didn't notice it until i read this post.
now i feel it but is it something wrong with somewhere?

should worry about it?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts