Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had to perform my first "emergency" manuever in my "week-old" '03 today. I was cruising at about 65 on I-95 in So. Fla. when I quickly came up on some wood debris in my lane. I essentially made a VERY quick lane change to avoid it (I knew no one was next to me, otherwise I would have nailed the brakes). I'm pleased to report that the X handled the situation incredibly!! No fish-tail, next to no body roll, and the VSA did not engage (not that I thought it should have). I now firmly believe in the suspension improvements for '03.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
g_dog01 said:
Had to perform my first "emergency" manuever in my "week-old" '03 today. I was cruising at about 65 on I-95 in So. Fla. when I quickly came up on some wood debris in my lane. I essentially made a VERY quick lane change to avoid it (I knew no one was next to me, otherwise I would have nailed the brakes). I'm pleased to report that the X handled the situation incredibly!! No fish-tail, next to no body roll, and the VSA did not engage (not that I thought it should have). I now firmly believe in the suspension improvements for '03.
If you do some searches you find very similar experiences have been shared.
Glad everything is okay!

·
Registered
10,544 Posts
Good news.

Glad you hear everything worked out. I've read a few posts stating the same results in an emergency maneuver.

·
Registered
16 Posts
g_dog01 said:
Next time pay attention to the road and you will be able to change lanes smoothly without any "emergency" manuevers.
From the way YOU describe the situation...YOU could have been the cause of a pileup! i.e. if there was no one around you, and no one swerving in front of you, why did you not see this debris earlier?

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Re: Re: '03 "Emergency" Manuever

mdx02 said:

Next time pay attention to the road and you will be able to change lanes smoothly without any "emergency" manuevers.
From the way YOU describe the situation...YOU could have been the cause of a pileup! i.e. if there was no one around you, and no one swerving in front of you, why did you not see this debris earlier?
That's quite an assumption. First you assume he had no one around him. He never said the freeway was not populated with other vehicles moving around him or in front him, opening him up to the hazard too late to make a smooth planned manuever.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
MDX02:

If you knew anything about I-95 in So. Fla., you'd know that, even at a safe following distance, it's very difficult to see debris in the road ahead until you're right up on it, unless, of course, you can see through the vehicles in front of you. Sorry, but I don't have that capability. In fact, if I had NOT been paying attention, as you implied, I could have easily ran over the debris, which could have had multiple results: 1) tire blowout, roll over, crash; 2) sent the debris through the windshield of someone behind me, possibly causing injury or death; 3) damage to my new X; or 4) nothing. I think I did the right thing, considering I WAS paying attention and KNEW there was no one in the lane next to me, allowing the avoidance manuever. You shouldn't make such blind assumptions without knowing all the facts.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Re: Re: Re: '03 "Emergency" Manuever

DaleB said:

That's quite an assumption. First you assume he had no one around him. He never said the freeway was not populated with other vehicles moving around him or in front him, opening him up to the hazard too late to make a smooth planned manuever.
Fairly safe assumption, big fella. He said there was no one on his side, and if there was anyone in front of him dont you think that THEY would have swerved first, thereby warning him? So, it would seem that there was no one on his side and no one in front of him.

Oh, and by the way, g_dog01, I have traveled on I95 between Ft Lauderdale and West Palm on MANY occasions, and the one thing that I believe separates that road from any other that I have been on is the extensive amount of tailgating. I have driven on the west coast, east coast and lots in between, and NEVER have I encountered so much tailgating. And, I am not aware of any circumstance that would have prevented a timely sighting of the debris. The road is north/south, so there is no unusual glare, and there are no dangerous curves, that I have seen.

Oh, and if you were really paying attention, and were unable to "see through the vehicles in front of you" didn't their swerve tip you off? Guess not, still had to wait till you saw it!

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: '03 "Emergency" Manuever

mdx02 said:

Fairly safe assumption, big fella. He said there was no one on his side, and if there was anyone in front of him dont you think that THEY would have swerved first, thereby warning him? So, it would seem that there was no one on his side and no one in front of him.

There are so many variables in any given driving situation (I hope I don't have to list them all for you) that could result in the driver's distraction or inability to see a hazard immediately that everything you state is based on whatever scenario you choose to visualize. The one you have chosen is perfect for the set of circumstances you have imagined based on only a couple of facts. There was no one 'immediately' in front of him, no one directly on one side of him is quite limited. Besides, the topic is on the ability of the MDX to navigate the hazard, not the driver's perception of it before-hand.
We agree to disagree, I'm comfortable with that. :cool:

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
mdx02...

Fairly safe assumption, big fella. He said there was no one on his side, and if there was anyone in front of him dont you think that THEY would have swerved first, thereby warning him?
If you believe that other drivers in front of him should have "swerved first", how can you really criticize him for doing that too?:confused:
Secondly, often drivers simply go over the debris and take their chances when they don't have time to make a smooth transition into an adjacent lane. This is especially true on I-95 where tailgating at high speed is the worst that I can remember for any highway in North America. If you back off to increase the distance between you and the vehicle in front of you, someone else will just pull into this space. The reason G_dog01 was able to make the emergency manuever was because he was paying attention to what was around him. Sounds like he did the right thing to me.:1:

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you OceanMDX, and this thread has gone off course. The whole point was to let everyone know that I was impressed with the "higher speed" handling of the '03, which was admirable.

·
Registered
16 Posts
g_dog01 said:
Thank you OceanMDX, and this thread has gone off course. The whole point was to let everyone know that I was impressed with the "higher speed" handling of the '03, which was admirable.
OK, OK, so now I know that I can cruise down the freeway, not pay attention, and feel good that I will be able to manuever out of trouble in an '03 MDX.

Also, I certainly am pleased to know that YOU were impressed. After all, your impressions are really quite important, considering that you dont pay attention to where you are driving.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Wow, This link was definitely informative.

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
I AGREE

I had a smoke in my mouth, Big Mac in my righthand, Large fries in my lefthand, and steering down I95 with my, you know what.

My MDX handled well and it's an '02.

:2:

All kidding aside, I appreciate knowing about his experience, and am glad he surivied that situation with no accident.

He is a fellow MDXer, give him a break, we are sharing experiences here.

Did I mention, my cell was suspended from my ear too.

:D

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
ByeByeChrysler said:
I AGREE

I had a smoke in my mouth, Big Mac in my righthand, Large fries in my lefthand, and steering down I95 with my, you know what.

My MDX handled well and it's an '02.

Did I mention, my cell was suspended from my ear too.

:D
Based on what you told us, I arrived at two conclusions. Smoking is dangerous, and so may be cell phone radiation.
But you obviously have a very versatile "you know what" which probably serves you very well in other pursuits.

:D :D

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
LOL thanks DaleB :)

As I got older, I quit smoking and McDonalds, I realized both will kill you.

Please talk to my wife.:awais: about the you know what.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
That was good...

I had a smoke in my mouth, Big Mac in my righthand, Large fries in my lefthand, and steering down I95 with my, you know what. Did I mention, my cell was suspended from my ear too.
When I see lots of drivers doing that, I know I'm back in the good ol' USA. ;)

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just to get mdx02 off my back, I'll fess up & tell everyone what really happened...I was cruising down I-95 at about 85, weaving in & out of traffic, when I realized that the CD I wanted to listen to was all the way in the back. So, I engaged the cruise control & crawled all the way to the back, and thumbed through about 50 CD's before I found the one I wanted. I was crawling back towards the front when I saw a little lizard on the back seat (you know, like the Geico lizard). We started talking, and behold, it was the Geico lizard!! While we were chatting, I glanced forward to see some debris in the road ahead. By the time I crawled back into the driver's seat and disengaged the cruise control, I had to swerve violently to avoid it. Unfortunately, the lizard went flying out the window, so I don't have a witness.

Seriously, I thought the whole purpose of this site was to share MDX related info and experiences, NOT criticize others' actions in situations that you did not witness! It's easy to read posts, imagine the situation, and say what you would have done differently. But, unless you were there, you don't know all the facts, so you don't know exactly what you would have done, or especially what someone else did right or wrong.

·
Registered
728 Posts
g_dog01

Seriously, I thought the whole purpose of this site was to share MDX related info and experiences, NOT criticize others' actions in situations that you did not witness! It's easy to read posts, imagine the situation, and say what you would have done differently. But, unless you were there, you don't know all the facts, so you don't know exactly what you would have done, or especially what someone else did right or wrong.
Responses like you got, g-dog01, remind me of the days of CB radio. On a computer, like an old CB, you can be anyone or anything you want to be. No one really knows who is on the other end of the "line." Some responders like to help, others have different agendas for whatever reason. Just ignore the responses that are only meant to stir up useless arguments and enjoy those that help and exchange information, which is the real purpose of this board.

By the way, hope you run across the GEICO lizard again.

Mark

1 - 19 of 19 Posts