Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just went and looked at the 03 again and noticed 2 things that are cheesy:

1) The "plood" not only looks worse, but it IS worse. When you get a chance, open the cupholder and jiggle it. Man is this going to break. It is too thin.

2) The volume controls on the wheel feel cheap and look like they are about to fall off.

I'm worried that they cut costs to pay for the massive improvements to the vehicle. Has anyone else noticed flaws that weren't present in the 02?

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
pl astic
wood

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The Plood delima

So... can we change it? How much would it run to put real wood in there? What about just the 02 plood kit? Is it cut the same?

·
Premium Member
5,255 Posts
You don't want real wood

When I worked for a Jaguar dealer some years ago, one of the big points of pride was the genuine burl walnut with boxwood inlays on the dashboard. The problem was that no shellac could hold up well and still give the appearance and feel of real wood over time due to temperature extremes, and fast heating and cooling in those climates with the heater and A/C. The wood would just crack and fall apart on curved surfaces, notably the ashtray and "ski slope" as we used to call it (the curved part of the console from the radio to the shifter). The older Series III XJ6 (82-87) wood would just basically crack off at any point, that was a birdseye maple (and burl in the Vanden Plas).

So, back in '98, Jaguar switched to a heavy varithane-like coating that seemed to work well.....but it looked just like plood!

·
Registered
147 Posts
As I looked around at other SUV's like BMW I noticed they have the same type of PLOOD as well, but there you're looking at $50+ for a car.

In my old Acura Legend I had wood inlay and after time the wood starting cracking. peeling and warped terribly from humidity, cold and other environmental elements.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts