Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 03 and an 01 mdx and I was wondering if it's possible to put an 04 to 06 model instrument cluster into an 01 to 03 mdx?
It looks much nicer but I'm worried that the wiring may be different n something might short or burn out.

I've noticed that they both have the same three connectors. A few of the light indicators are in different places, so I'm wondering if it'll just hook right up n work or not.

Can someone help?

·
Registered
271 Posts
You could always try this, they both have 3 plugs, verify that they have the same amount of wires per plug. If they do, then find a wiring diagram showing what each wire is for. Then simply remove the plugs from both clusters and insert the wires into the other plugs hole for the similar wire. I hope this makes sense. There should be no need for cutting/splicing since the wires should slide out of the plug with a little effort. Just don't damage the plugs. I'm guessing the hardest part of this project will be the research involved in identifying the the wires for each respective plug.
If you do go ahead with this, or simply stop because the amount of wiring is different, please keep us posted.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
FWIW, I'm an electronics guy by training, and there's no way in the world I'd ever attempt this swap. There seem to be a LOT of difference between the clusters, and I can foresee only heartache if you were to start hacking your wiring harness to try to make an incompatible cluster work. Stranger things have been done, but this seems like a monumental amount of work and risk for a really small improvement. YMMV.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts