Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
9 Posts
I didn't say what age those passengers would be now did I? Just kidding though, I think it was Volvo's intention to have 7-passenger seating for kids and in case you really needed it for a short trip for adults. You are right though, the 3rd row looks to have very little leg room, but I will have to see it in real life to make a real conclusion. It probably beats the X5 and ML as far as this is concerned, but the MDX probably has more space from the looks of things.
Volvo says it's meant mainly for children or adults shorter than 5' 3".

Any word how heavy it's going to be? Curious how the 210hp turbo will do (and are there torque numbers yet?), especially for getting it off the line (e.g. 0-30mph).
Volvo says its about a 1000 lbs heavier than an S80. That puts it in the 4500 lbs range.

Also they claim 0-60 time of 8 seconds. (comparable to the MDX)

Also, can someone explain more about what the Night Vision system is?
They claim it is based on Infra-red technology. It allows you to see 5 times farther than conventional headlights. A small screen pops out behind the intrument cluster on the driver's side, which provides the IR view. I think Cadillac is already using a similar system. No idea about its actual utility in real-life situations.

· Registered
9 Posts
dmyles said:

Also, can someone explain more about what the Night Vision system is?
this is from vvspy.com and according to official volvo press release:

"Volvo Cars is the first European carmaker to offer Night Vision as an option. The infra-red technology in the new XC90 allows the driver to see up to 5 times further than is possible with conventional low beam. The aim is to boost active safety when driving at night, making it possible to see people and animals that much earlier. Night Vision uses a heat-sensitive camera that is fitted just below the headlamp on the left side, about 70 cm (27.6”) above the road surface. The camera registers the infra-red radiation that is given off by the surroundings, generating a video image whereby warm objects such as people and animals are shown as light objects against a dark background. The images are projected onto a mirror display measuring 70x180 mm (2.8x7.1”), which is positioned directly in the driver’s natural field of vision. When the Night Vision function is not being used, the display retracts into the instrument panel. The IR camera in the car’s nose is shielded by a protective glass panel that can be heated to prevent snow and ice from accumulating and obstructing its use. The extra reaction time that Night Vision gives the driver may spell the difference between being involved in an accident and avoiding one altogether."

Hope this helps. Has anybody used it in a Caddy. I read somewhere that it is the same system.

· Registered
9 Posts
A2MDXer said:

I take it that that is the time for the larger displacement engine(T6). If the '03 MDX gets the rumored HP upgrade, then the MDX will be faster but I think 8 seconds is pretty good for an SUV. I noticed from the specs that the XC90 (vs. MDX) is almost identical in length and is about 2-3" narrower.
here are the dimensions:

Volvo/MDX

L = 188.9/188.5
W = 74.4/77
Ht = 68.5/68.7
Track (f) = 64.3/66.3
Track (r) = 68.9/66.5
Ground Clearence = 8.6/8.0

Engine specs for Volvo XC90:

T6 (268 bhp)
6-Cylinder Twin-Turbo Engine Producing 268 bhp @ 5200 rpm
Torque 280 ft-lbs @ 1800 - 5000 rpm
Available with 4-Speed Geartronic Transmission

2.5T (208 bhp)
5-Cylinder Light-Pressure Turbo Engine Producing 208 [email protected] 5000 rpm
Torque 236 ft-lbs @ 1500 - 4500 rpm
Available with 5-Speed Geartronic Transmission

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.