Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Volvo XC90 & Swedespeed

The 2002 Volvo XC90 just came out at the NAIAS. Just curious, what all the Acura MDX owners/enthusiasts think about it? Maybe some good competition and a pretty good effort from Volvo I think. There is more info at www.swedespeed.com

272hp 2.9 Bi-Turbo Inline-6
210hp 2.5 Turbo Inline-5
6.5-Inch DVD Navigation System
Dynamic Stability Control, with RSC
RSC - Active Roll Stability Control System
Infra-Red Night Vision System
Haldex Electronic AWD
Dolby Pro-Logic II Surround Sound System
13 HK Speakers, 305 Watt Alpine Amp.
140 Watt Active-Subwoofer
6 Disc In-Dash CD/MiniDisc
7-Inch Rear DVD/CD Entertainment System
ABS/EBD/EBA/DSTC/RSC
True 7-Passenger Seating
16/17/18-Inch Rims

·
Registered
594 Posts
cool looking, how much

Very cool looking -- how much are they projecting for this thing?

Specs sound good, looks nice, question reliability a little, but it'd probably be fine, and I'm sure it's safe...

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Price?

The specs look pretty good on paper. Could potentially be a worthy competitor for the MDX.

What about proposed pricing? Is it competitive with the comparably-equipped MDX?

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Looks quite good with the possible exception of the rear lights. Are there no cross pieces on the rack?? It does not look quite as roomy or as high (roofline) as the MDX (that can be a good or bad, depending on your perspective), sort of a middlepoint between the existing XC and the MDX. It will be interesting to see how it stacks up against the '03 MDX. Certainly worth further investigation.

Update - I just checked the link and the pics. Drew, when you say "true 7 passenger seating" is this what you mean??? It sure looks a bit cramped back there even by MDX 3rd row standards. In fact it looks to have about the same cargo room with both 2nd and 3rd row folded as the MDX with only the 3rd row folded. Basically, it looks like more of a competitor to the X5, not the MDX.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Some more info...

Volvo says that the XC90 will slot exactly between the (QX4, RX300, MDX, ML320, X5 3.0) and the (X5 4.4i/4.6is, ML500/ML55). The prices should start out at around the $36k mark and then go to around $46k for a fully loaded XC90 T6.

Here in this picture you can see some of the neat features like the Dolby Pro-Logic II Surround System with Mini-Disc player, 6.5-Inch Pop-Up DVD Navigation System, and Graphite/Aluminum interior as well as the Geartronic AutoManual transmission.

Also, see that little blue screen above the guage-pod? That is the Night-Vision system. :)

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
A2MDXer said:
Drew, when you say "true 7 passenger seating" is this what you mean??? It sure looks a bit cramped back there even by MDX 3rd row standards. In fact it looks to have about the same cargo room with both 2nd and 3rd row folded as the MDX with only the 3rd row folded. Basically, it looks like more of a competitor to the X5, not the MDX.

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: Price?

mgmdx said:
Update - I just checked the link and the pics. Drew, when you say "true 7 passenger seating" is this what you mean??? It sure looks a bit cramped back there even by MDX 3rd row standards.
I didn't say what age those passengers would be now did I? ;) Just kidding though, I think it was Volvo's intention to have 7-passenger seating for kids and in case you really needed it for a short trip for adults. You are right though, the 3rd row looks to have very little leg room, but I will have to see it in real life to make a real conclusion. :) It probably beats the X5 and ML as far as this is concerned, but the MDX probably has more space from the looks of things.

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
We'll see what the pricing turns out to be. It looks to be a very interesting vehicle, and a worthwhile alternative. Probably won't have as much cargo room as the MDX but the MDX is big for its class. As long as it has more cargo room than the darn BMW X5! On the other hand, the XC90 has stability control and side curtain airbags, plus the general goodness of Volvo safety engineering.

Lack of room in the third row doesn't bug me. Most folks who need the third row have kids back there, and at least it's there for the occasional short ride for adults.

I suspect the "base" price of the vehicle will require the tacking on of a number of options that'll push its real price up a bit. After all, it can't undercutl the V70XC wagon. Thus I expect real prices to be somewhere in the low forties going up to the high forties. Volvos often have a price premium, and for quite a few buyers it's worth it.

I think the styling is great, I like Volvo safety engineering, and it has some very nice features.

Hopefully the Scandanavian manufacturing will make it of higher quality/reliability than some other current Volvos. The quality/reliability and price are my two biggest question marks. Other mid-sized question mark is cost-of-ownership after the warranty expires (I assume free maintenance comes during the warranty period? or does it not?). I've heard Volvos can be frightfully expensive to maintain.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
DrewSRX said:

Volvo XC90 & Swedespeed

The 2002 Volvo XC90 just came out at the NAIAS. Just curious, what all the Acura MDX owners/enthusiasts think about it? Maybe some good competition and a pretty good effort from Volvo I think. There is more info at www.swedespeed.com

272hp 2.9 Bi-Turbo Inline-6
210hp 2.5 Turbo Inline-5
6.5-Inch DVD Navigation System
Dynamic Stability Control, with RSC
RSC - Active Roll Stability Control System
Infra-Red Night Vision System
Haldex Electronic AWD
Dolby Pro-Logic II Surround Sound System
13 HK Speakers, 305 Watt Alpine Amp.
140 Watt Active-Subwoofer
6 Disc In-Dash CD/MiniDisc
7-Inch Rear DVD/CD Entertainment System
ABS/EBD/EBA/DSTC/RSC
True 7-Passenger Seating
16/17/18-Inch Rims
HAHAHHA this is SOOO FUNNY that you sent this picture...If you look carefully this picture was capturing the beautiful car in SAN FRANCISCO. On the background there is the Transamerica building and the SAN FRANCISCO Bridge and downtown.

I was there when this vehicle pass me...I did not know what it was at the time...Well now I KNOW!!!! WOW!!! incredible!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Cargo Capacity...

In fact it looks to have about the same cargo room with both 2nd and 3rd row folded as the MDX with only the 3rd row folded. Basically, it looks like more of a competitor to the X5, not the MDX.
Got some more information about the XC90. The XC90 has 84.9 cubic feet of space where as the MDX has 81.5 cubic feet of space. Both these numbers are for the 2nd and 3rd row seats in the folded position for both SUV's. So, it looks like the XC90 has more cargo space than the even the MDX, which I think is the largest in this class currently. The XC90 also has a 6.3-inch longer wheelbase and 0.7 inches more ground clearance than the MDX, but the MDX is about 3 inches taller, and 2-inches wider than the XC90.

I hope this helps!

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
84.9 cubic feet of space with 2nd & 3rd rows folded? That's great! Looking forward to seeing how much of that space is safely useable (e.g. the beer case test).

I think the vehicle size in the pictures is a bit misleading, I guess it wants to look small because of the (excellent) styling but it'll be bigger in person. Plus Volvo probably made very efficient use of the interior cavity.

The 40-20-40 row with the middle portion converting to a child booster that slides forward, closer to the first row is funky. 70-30 split tailgate, night vision, very, very nice!

Any word how heavy it's going to be? Curious how the 210hp turbo will do (and are there torque numbers yet?), especially for getting it off the line (e.g. 0-30mph).

Hmm, here's a possible pricing gotcha -- the Volvo web site has some specs (no weight, though), and it says "B-Pillar Ventilation Outlets (C-pillar on seven seat variant) ." Which would mean the third row is an option or another trim level. That might jack up the price, and it's probably not addable later. Oh well, some will be happy to have the choice, however.

http://www.volvoxc90.com/specs_flash.html

Again, looks great, just want to see how price and quality/reliability turn out.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Re: Cargo Capacity...

DrewSRX said:
Got some more information about the XC90. The XC90 has 84.9 cubic feet of space where as the MDX has 81.5 cubic feet of space. Both these numbers are for the 2nd and 3rd row seats in the folded position for both SUV's. So, it looks like the XC90 has more cargo space than the even the MDX, which I think is the largest in this class currently. The XC90 also has a 6.3-inch longer wheelbase and 0.7 inches more ground clearance than the MDX, but the MDX is about 3 inches taller, and 2-inches wider than the XC90.

I hope this helps!
Thanks for the numbers which, if correct, do put it as a competitor to the MDX. If so, those pics are certainly misleading.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I thought immediately of the X5....looks kinda like an aerodynamic stationwagon to me.

Also, can someone explain more about what the Night Vision system is?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Bi-Xenon & Night Vision...

Yup, it has Bi-Xenon as well as Night-Vision. Thi si from the International Volvo Website.

See and Be Seen

The new Volvo XC90 burns a hole in even the darkest night with its bi-xenon headlights. Giving the clearest possible view ahead, especially when supplemented by the new infra-red Night Vision system (optional), the Volvo XC90 driver and passengers travel safe in the knowledge they are going to see and be seen.

Night Vision

The new Volvo XC90 is the first European-built car with see-in-the-dark Night Vision (optional). Allowing the driver to see several times further ahead than is possible with high-beam headlights, the infra-red system enables the Volvo XC90 driver to see much earlier people and animals on the road ahead.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I didn't say what age those passengers would be now did I? Just kidding though, I think it was Volvo's intention to have 7-passenger seating for kids and in case you really needed it for a short trip for adults. You are right though, the 3rd row looks to have very little leg room, but I will have to see it in real life to make a real conclusion. It probably beats the X5 and ML as far as this is concerned, but the MDX probably has more space from the looks of things.
Volvo says it's meant mainly for children or adults shorter than 5' 3".

Any word how heavy it's going to be? Curious how the 210hp turbo will do (and are there torque numbers yet?), especially for getting it off the line (e.g. 0-30mph).
Volvo says its about a 1000 lbs heavier than an S80. That puts it in the 4500 lbs range.

Also they claim 0-60 time of 8 seconds. (comparable to the MDX)

They claim it is based on Infra-red technology. It allows you to see 5 times farther than conventional headlights. A small screen pops out behind the intrument cluster on the driver's side, which provides the IR view. I think Cadillac is already using a similar system. No idea about its actual utility in real-life situations.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
MDXC90 said:
Volvo says its about a 1000 lbs heavier than an S80. That puts it in the 4500 lbs range.

Also they claim 0-60 time of 8 seconds. (comparable to the MDX)
I take it that that is the time for the larger displacement engine(T6). If the '03 MDX gets the rumored HP upgrade, then the MDX will be faster but I think 8 seconds is pretty good for an SUV. I noticed from the specs that the XC90 (vs. MDX) is almost identical in length and is about 2-3" narrower.

·
Registered
9 Posts
dmyles said:

this is from vvspy.com and according to official volvo press release:

"Volvo Cars is the first European carmaker to offer Night Vision as an option. The infra-red technology in the new XC90 allows the driver to see up to 5 times further than is possible with conventional low beam. The aim is to boost active safety when driving at night, making it possible to see people and animals that much earlier. Night Vision uses a heat-sensitive camera that is fitted just below the headlamp on the left side, about 70 cm (27.6”) above the road surface. The camera registers the infra-red radiation that is given off by the surroundings, generating a video image whereby warm objects such as people and animals are shown as light objects against a dark background. The images are projected onto a mirror display measuring 70x180 mm (2.8x7.1”), which is positioned directly in the driver’s natural field of vision. When the Night Vision function is not being used, the display retracts into the instrument panel. The IR camera in the car’s nose is shielded by a protective glass panel that can be heated to prevent snow and ice from accumulating and obstructing its use. The extra reaction time that Night Vision gives the driver may spell the difference between being involved in an accident and avoiding one altogether."

Hope this helps. Has anybody used it in a Caddy. I read somewhere that it is the same system.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
About this Discussion
23 Replies
11 Participants
wmquan
Acura MDX SUV Forums
Acura MDXers Forum - a community where enthusiasts discuss engines, tires, service and everything you need to know about the MDX!
Full Forum Listing