Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys looking for a little help with this.

I have an 02 MDX with 101000 on it. I do all the maintenance and have owned it since 04 with 28k on it. The tranny was replaced with 47k on it by Acura under warranty. (Upgraded one with no external oil jet kit required) I have been a member here since I got it and know all the tranny issues they have. I have replaced my tranny fluid every other oil change (every 10K) to keep it fresh and clean. I know it maybe overkill but trying to keep it alive as long as possible.

The problem is when backing out of the driveway/ parking spot when the car is cold the trans will go into reverse fine with no problem but when you stop and put it in D5 it just revs like it is in Neutral. If you put it back in park and go back down to D5 it goes right in.

Took it to the stealership this moring so I can have the issue documented. It did it this morning and I purposely checked it in D4, D3, D2, and D1. I stopped in every gear and tapped the gas to verify it was not engaging. So a good 15 seconds later when it was in D1 it finally went into gear.

Also did it one morning at a stop sign a block from my house. Drove up to the stop sign did the "jersey roll" through it and stepped on the gas...just reved. Stopped it in the middle of the intersection put it in park then D5 and it went.

Thanks
Derek

Sorry it is long just wanted to give a detailed description.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
If it only does it when everything is cold then it may be a better outcome than replacing the entire transmission. Typically, when the transmsission is finished it slips, flare shifts, and has the delay to engage gears when it's fully warmed up.

Could just be one of the apply clutch solenoids is sticking when cold. A good Acura tech with a good scan tool or the actual HDS could check those solenoids to pinpoint the issue.

Not saying there isn't a chance that the entire transmission is wasted. But not likely in this situation.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If it only does it when everything is cold then it may be a better outcome than replacing the entire transmission. Typically, when the transmsission is finished it slips, flare shifts, and has the delay to engage gears when it's fully warmed up.

Could just be one of the apply clutch solenoids is sticking when cold. A good Acura tech with a good scan tool or the actual HDS could check those solenoids to pinpoint the issue.

Not saying there isn't a chance that the entire transmission is wasted. But not likely in this situation.
Thanks for the response SuperTech

The tech could not replicate the issue after letting it sit for a couple of hours and then again letting it sit overnight. It was not as cold as when it happened the other times (low 30s) the other times it was (high teens)
The service adivsor said he checked it with a scan tool and NO codes were present. I asked about the tech line and they said they have to replicate the issue before they can call. I offered to get it on video and bring it in to them and the advisor said it was not good enough the tech has to be there in person. I asked why does it matter if it is happening and not throwing any codes, no response other than he has to be there. May try to drop it off one night when it is going to be really cold and go to the dealership in the morning check.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same exact problem with my 2002 MDX. Please let me know if you ever learn anything about it and I'll do likewise.

This weekend my wife had the car out and it happened while she was waiting to turn left in an intersection, which is pretty dangerous. So I'm anxious to get this addressed. For the time being, I told her to let it warm up for awhile before driving it because it usually only happens while the car is cold. But still, it isn't good.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have the same exact problem with my 2002 MDX. Please let me know if you ever learn anything about it and I'll do likewise.

This weekend my wife had the car out and it happened while she was waiting to turn left in an intersection, which is pretty dangerous. So I'm anxious to get this addressed. For the time being, I told her to let it warm up for awhile before driving it because it usually only happens while the car is cold. But still, it isn't good.
Will do. Still waiting for a really cold day and my schedule to allow me to drop it off.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am having the same problem with my daughters 2002 MDX. If it is 25 degrees or colder outside drive will not engage. Has anyone fixed this problem without replacing the transmission? I am going to do a 3x flush and clean both shift solenoids this weekend.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2004 MDX has this same issue and the transmission shop was not able to diagnose the problem. It only happens when it's cold out and I get around the problem by manually putting the transmission in a lower gear rather than drive. This car drives at that point and I move it into drive after a short distance, operating correctly after that.

Has anyone diagnosed this issue since the last post in 2017?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts