Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! So I’m having quite a few problems. My truck has been sitting down for a couple months while I was away at college and I’m just getting around to getting it fixed. This may be lengthy but I don’t want to miss any important details.

I had a 1- 2 1/2 inch long hairline crack in the top plastic area of my radiator, which I used Seal-N-Place Plastic Tank & Radiator Repair Kit to temporarily fix it. But I didn’t completely seal the bottom edge, so it ran hot again and was seeping from the bottom today. Should I go over it again or what?

When I went to crank it up is where my biggest issue lies. When I tried to crank it up, all my lights and things came on but it wouldn’t turn over. I heard the clicking but nothing happened. So I turned it off completely. I try to crank again, but this time I’m pressing the gas! It cranks. I rev it up some and watch the RPM arrow. Once it’s idling, I see the arrow slowly start to fall in between the 0 and 1, more close to 0, and stutters some. It does it for a second and stops. As I’m pulling off, it has this jerking & hesitating sensation and when I brake, it stutters as if it’s going to cut off. Once I get down the street, my engine light starts to blink at the same time as the stuttering. It illuminates fully for a few seconds then goes off. Does that a couple times as I continue to ride. Maybe a minute or two later, both the CEL and VTM-4 illuminates. At the same time, my temp gauge is slowly rising, but no smoke is coming from under the hood. It’ll fall then rise again, depending on if I’m accelerating or braking. So I decide to turn around and it does this the entire way back home .

What seems to be the issue? And how can I fix this without breaking my pockets?

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
You definitely have a bad radiator. Stop trying b.s. repairs and REPLACE it. A brand new Denso radiator is only $89.79 on RockAuto.com (plus taxes/shipping, of course).

It also sounds like you've overheated your engine and caused additional damage. Perhaps a blown head gasket. Check your coolant and your oil to see if they've mixed. If you see a white foam or either fluid is a "milkshake" consistency then you have bigger problems.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Yes, replace the radiator. A new radiator is cheap - a new engine isn't.

Your symptoms sound like a dead battery to me (most likely caused by a bad alternator). As the battery drops lower and lower, you get more and more odd lights and symptoms, until (of course) finally the engine stops because there's not enough voltage to run the ignition / computers / fuel pump. Throw a voltmeter on the battery - I'm betting it'll read below 12 volts sitting still, and most likely when running.

If you don't have a voltmeter, find someone who can lend you one, or get one from Harbor Freight (there are coupons to get one for free quite often). Or, have someone who knows how to use one stop by and have them check the electrical system. You should have at least 12 volts with the engine not running, and over 14 volts with it running. I'm betting dollars to donuts that your battery will read well under 12 volts now, and probably the same with the engine running (indicating a bad alternator, or possibly bad wiring to the alternator, though the odds are with the alternator being the problem).

·
Registered
763 Posts
In addition to what P07 and habbyguy mentioned, if you haven’t already, check and if needed, fill your radiator with the engine cold, and X on level ground. If you’re going to change the radiator soon, you can use distilled water - don’t use tap water.

You’ll need about a gallon - gallon quarter of coolant after you change the radiator. Make sure to check and top off for several days with the engine cold and X on level ground.

Once you get the battery issues taken care of, you can reset the check engine codes with a code reader - a number of apps for your phone out there for <$10. Or, if you change the battery or disconnect it, the codes will be reset but youll need to reset your idle by letting yourX idle for 7-10 mins with the ac, fan, radio all turned off. Make sure you have your radio and navi codes before disconnecting the battery.

Good luck!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.