Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took delivery on our new '02 Tuesday. After four years of driving a Mercedes ML-320, here are my first impressions of the new MDX so far.
Likes: the ride, the styling, the nav, the price, the size - inside & out, third seat.
Wishes: self-locking doors, all windows - one touch up & down, little more power in audio system, adjustable roof rack bars.
Dislikes: open moonroof wind noise(!), "hissing" brake pedal.
The ML-320 was a fine car. The MDX is much better. We're very happy with our choice. Acura has done a great job putting this vehicle together. I know a car can't "have it all," but the MDX comes pretty close. And, yes, I know I'm preaching to the choir here, but without this forum we might not have gotten the MDX.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Leader: Glad that you liked the car. I will be at Cerritos Acura tomorrow morning. If you are in the vicinity, do stop by and say hi.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Leader(in L.A.) said:
Took delivery on our new '02 Tuesday. After four years of driving a Mercedes ML-320, here are my first impressions of the new MDX so far.
Likes: the ride, the styling, the nav, the price, the size - inside & out, third seat.
Wishes: self-locking doors, all windows - one touch up & down, little more power in audio system, adjustable roof rack bars.
Dislikes: open moonroof wind noise(!), "hissing" brake pedal.
The ML-320 was a fine car. The MDX is much better. We're very happy with our choice. Acura has done a great job putting this vehicle together. I know a car can't "have it all," but the MDX comes pretty close. And, yes, I know I'm preaching to the choir here, but without this forum we might not have gotten the MDX.
Leader,
Glad you like it! Curious - I know this was discussed in another thread- both of these anyway- but:

Why do you like the auto door locks? I only experience these in rentals and I detest them. I live in a smaller community (40,000) so maybe I just don't think it's necessary to lock the doors.

Actually that brake hiss relaxes me- when I notice it.

Appreciate your comments, regardless. I'm a bit of a Benz fan (owned a 300D), but think the ML seems too small. It may be more visual than actual, but legroom in second row looks tight and third row seating looks like a hassle. I'm glad the MDX came out otherwise I might be Irrationally rationalizing buying the Benz.

Take Care and enjoy!

·
Registered
312 Posts
Leader - Do you have the moonroof visor? That may help with moonroof wind noise.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Replies

I don't have the moonroof visor. Good to hear that it might reduce the "Perfect Storm" effect of opening the roof at freeway speeds.

The "auto door locks" could just be a habit I'm having trouble breaking. The M-Class had 'em. My wife's Jag S-Type has 'em, too. It's probably just laziness, but I like the doors to lock all around as you take off; it's one less thing to worry about. And here in L.A., where every off-ramp has someone pan-handling, I'd rather my wife was securely locked-in.
Incidently, unlocking only the driver's door when you are leaving the vehicle takes a little forethought, too. I told my wife to either use the unlock button on the key-fob or pull up the door's lock tab. Using the "master lock" lever unlocks all the doors. :) Paranoid? Who said that? I know you're back there! :)

·
Registered
339 Posts
Leader(in L.A.) said:
Took delivery on our new '02 Tuesday. After four years of driving a Mercedes ML-320, here are my first impressions of the new MDX so far...
Thanks for your impressions. It is important for us still waiting in line to know these things. Afterall, we could go get an ML and pay more for less... relatively speaking.

:cool:

·
Registered
522 Posts
Actually, I had it on mine originally and it, in fact, made the noise worse, particularly with the roof closed.

MrPrescott said:
Leader - Do you have the moonroof visor? That may help with moonroof wind noise.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Re: Re: '02 First Impressions

One thing to keep in mind: MSRP often means little in price comparisions. When I was shopping, I could get the ML for $500 over invoice versus the MDX at sticker. I still bought the MDX obviously but the ACTUAL selling price does skew the value equation...

RedMdxMemphis said:

Thanks for your impressions. It is important for us still waiting in line to know these things. Afterall, we could go get an ML and pay more for less... relatively speaking.

·
Registered
312 Posts
mogur said:
Actually, I had it on mine originally and it, in fact, made the noise worse, particularly with the roof closed.

I expect that the visor makes more noise than without with the mr closed. But with it open, it keeps the wind rush away and prohibits buffeting at speed.

Comparatively, I did notice relatively more wind noise around the mirrors - the mr visor noise is acutally soothing.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Here's the rest of my first impressions.

General
- All in all, a very positive impression. It rides, corners, accelerates, and generally handles like a car. No regrets – None.

Engine
- So far I’ve only been around town, and averaging only 15mpg.
- The engine has a minor, cyclical surging when cold.

Exterior
- Exterior styling could be a bit more interesting. The bow and stern are great, but the middle is a bit plain (minivanish). Some add-ons would help (pin stripe, door strips, roof rack, running boards.)
- Doors close firmly, but lack the really solid feel like other cars. (I expected this from Honda). But it’s better/more substantial than my Accord.
- Hardware quality seems good
- Moonroof visor gives off a calming air whoosh.
- Side mirror wind noise is less harmonic than visor, but tolerable

Interior
- Interior is highlight of the car. The dash is far and above most cars in class. I like the use of the wood grain (generous, but not overdone).
- Rich with features. Has everything I’d want standard. Very luxurious compared to most cars in class.
- Quality and placement of switches, knobs, etc. is excellent.
- Shift track takes a little getting used to, especially going back into park. I get hung-up going up into neutral.
- Quality of interior plastics could be better,
- Specifically, the front cup holder cover and latch feels weak
- Also the jack cover, and interior rear door lock cover good be more substantail (I can’t get it back on)
- Heated seat switch too exposed. I clicked it accidentally and cooked my buns. - but it works well!
- Stereo sound quality adequate, but lacks power. I had it at 100% volume without distortion, but also not very loud. I looked at the Bose system too, but it's not nearly as good as the Bose in my Maxima, so not worthy of the expense..
- Brake pedal has some side to side play.
- 3rd row seat doesn’t go up and down easily with back seat in ‘recline’ position. But still, it’s a great design.
- I’ll have to get used to more blind spots than with 2-door sedans

I don't want to sound negative, because these are just some observations. I love the car!

·
Registered
619 Posts
windnoise

yeah, I bought the moonroof visor thinking it might reduce the wind noise. No such luck, I would recommend that get the dealer to make sure the roof in riding on its tracks. apparently couple of other people on this board have had problems with windnoise from the roof and got it fixed by the dealer.

oh, and CONGRATS!! on your new ride.:)

·
Registered
339 Posts
MrPrescott said:
Here's the rest of my first impressions.
... I love the car!
I notice you have tow installed so I have a question for you. Since I want to install one on my upcoming one, and likely one from Acura, but my wife kept saying it "does not look good" on the tail side. Is the hitch very obvious from the back? I know this may be the "look" thing but it is important from her point of view.

·
Registered
312 Posts
No - I have not noticed it detracting from the looks. In fact, it looks nice - with the tounge removed, it comes with a black, Acura logo cap.

A counter argument is that when following behind the car, I noticed that the underside was very visible (axle, etc.). So, perhaps the black hitch system will hide some of that.

I wouldn't be concerned with looks and the tow hitch.

- Scott..

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
RedMdxMemphis said:

I notice you have tow installed so I have a question for you. Since I want to install one on my upcoming one, and likely one from Acura, but my wife kept saying it "does not look good" on the tail side. Is the hitch very obvious from the back? I know this may be the "look" thing but it is important from her point of view.
Red,
Click "My MDX" under my signature and you will see the Acura trailer hitch. Show it to your wife and if she still thinks it's ugly, you might suggest some lasik surgery.:D

·
Registered
339 Posts
Thanks to Scott and Remery both.

I picked up my Red Rock yesterday and will go back to have the Tow Hitch installed tomorrow. The Tow Hitch installation is a bigger deal than I thought. It is not just the hitch part. Acura charges more but this does involve additional coolers installations so I will have this done right the dealer. My wife and I went on to agree to get this done along with other accessories. Thus we don't have to think about this issue or come back to mess with the car. I thought about putting a cheaper hitch but don't want to take the chance or hassle later.

You are right.. The under side of the back is quite visible without the hitch part. (That was a BMW salesman' view point about the MDX (being ugly on the back).) Still, I am coming back to the necessity.. afterall MDX is a sport UTILITY vehicle.

·
Registered
411 Posts
My wife's comments on her first drive in the 'X are, "It's now a BMW."

She has a 94 5 series and loves it. Although it's not an apples to apples comparison, the drive in the BMW feels more authoritative. Heck, the 94 525 was more expensive than the 2002 MDX, touring w/Navi. :)

·
Registered
681 Posts
Another point: If you have the full size spare, the naked back will show more "garnments". The tow hitch will cover it pretty nicely :D

·
Registered
339 Posts
tdnone said:
Another point: If you have the full size spare, the naked back will show more "garnments". The tow hitch will cover it pretty nicely :D
Looks like you have a lot of goodies accessories on your MDX. Very nice..
What's the size difference between the full size spare and the Acura spare? What will be the critical reason to have a full size spare?

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Leader -- we have an '01, base, which we recently took on a thousand-mile trip. Super road car; both front seats extremely comfortable. We also took a 350-mile trip in a friend's ML; I found its front passenger seat to be extremely uncomfortable, since it had ZERO lumbar support (and my wife and I both need it).

·
Registered
156 Posts
Congrats on the new wheels...

Perhaps its an L.A. thing, but I too wished the MDX had auto locks. I'm sure it's a matter of preference and past habit/experience plays a part but it would be great feature to have. For those of you who may think it's a hassle to have, on most cars (not just the ones with after market alarm systems), you can enable/disable this feature.

With the MDX, I'm trying to make a habit of locking it when I get in the car but practically speaking, I only seem to remember to lock it when I see a guy in the middle of the off ramp/street coming towards me... I'm always worried that it will somehow offend him when he hears the doors locking.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts