Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
02 Transmission issue

Today my 02 hit the 144,K mileage mark, but the transmission also hit a problem, mdx moving ok, then suddenly "roars" as if in neutral, then accelerates suddenly. The check engine light came on and the D5 light started flashing. I went down to D4 but the lights remained as before, on and flashing. Luckily I was close to home. Manual says to take it in right away which I'll do on Monday.
Have really enjoyed this vehicle for the past 14 years, hoping this isn't the end of the best ride I've had.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I decided to take my 2004 MDX to the shop to replace the sensors (3rd & 4th), on the way there my D5 started blinking. After my mechanic replaced the 2 sensors, it shifts normally now and all the way back the D5 has not start blinking. I hope the problem is fixed, I plan to update after 2K miles, my current is 123,200 miles.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I decided to take my 2004 MDX to the shop to replace the sensors (3rd & 4th), on the way there my D5 started blinking. After my mechanic replaced the 2 sensors, it shifts normally now and all the way back the D5 has not start blinking. I hope the problem is fixed, I plan to update after 2K miles, my current is 123,200 miles.
Update:
3/28/16 - 125,278 miles, It has been 2K miles since I last replaced the sensors (3rd & 4th), the transmission still shifts OK.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Do transmission switches really affect gear shifting? I've had my 2004 MDKA rebuilt and sometimes the D5 flashes with 27-4 code (4th gear switch), especially when driving at high speed and with hot weather around.

Gears switch fairly good. My point is these switches are just secondary system. The real shifting is on the solenoids. Or not?

·
Registered
268 Posts
Yes, the pressure switches do not actually "shift" the gears. They sense the pressure in one of the fluid lines inside of the transmission. Once the fluid in that line reaches a certain pressure, the switch sends out a signal, which I'm guessing goes to the transmission control unit. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that the signal then eventually gets routed to the solenoids, which do the shifting.

When the pressure switches get worn, they lose their calibration and don't switch on at the right fluid pressure. I believe that the transmission does have some tolerance to account for this. But if the switches start to operate far beyond their designed range, it can affect torque converter lockup and results in a "shuddering" effect when changing gears under certain conditions.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi. I know this is an old thread. I just found the thread and registered to the forum. The pictures are not available from the link. Are they still available somewhere else?

I have a 2002 MDX that I've owned for three years now. It is about to hit the 200,000 mile mark. I got it with when it had about 145K. Since day one I knew it had the P1740 4th gear pressure switch code but never bothered to fix it. I have a few days off next week and will plan on changing these pressure switches. I am noticing that the MDX is shifting more often with minimal gas pedal input. I am hoping that changing the switches will help with this.

Thanks.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Check out this link from the sister forum piloteers.org.

It was a common issue documented there as well, and I believe that the switches in the DIY are in the same place as the '02 MDX. Just be sure that you have the correct part numbers.
Thanks. I am checking on the part numbers. I found several on ebay but they list both the 28600-P7W-003 / 28600-P7Z-003 99194W for the 2nd and 3rd switches.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Thanks. I am checking on the part numbers. I found several on ebay but they list both the 28600-P7W-003 / 28600-P7Z-003 99194W for the 2nd and 3rd switches.
Here is what I found on the Bernardi Acura site:
Genuine Acura OEM Automotive Parts Catalog - Bernardi Parts

28600-P7W-013 I believe is for the fourth gear switch.
28600-P7Z-003 or 28600-P7Z-013 I believe is for the third gear switch.

Either way, be sure to double check the part numbers before installing, as it's not hard to mix them up.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Here is what I found on the Bernardi Acura site:
Genuine Acura OEM Automotive Parts Catalog - Bernardi Parts

28600-P7W-013 I believe is for the fourth gear switch.
28600-P7Z-003 or 28600-P7Z-013 I believe is for the third gear switch.

Either way, be sure to double check the part numbers before installing, as it's not hard to mix them up.

Thanks again. I was looking to save some extra money buy I am going to have to skip eBay and buy OEM.

I searched for 28600-P7W-013 and the one search that came back is listing the part as the 'Engine Oil Pressure Sensor Switch' 'PN: 28600-P7W-003 and Exchange NO: 28600-P7W-013'. The photo looks like the same one with the black connector. I just can;t be sure.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Thanks again. I was looking to save some extra money buy I am going to have to skip eBay and buy OEM.

I searched for 28600-P7W-013 and the one search that came back is listing the part as the 'Engine Oil Pressure Sensor Switch' 'PN: 28600-P7W-003 and Exchange NO: 28600-P7W-013'. The photo looks like the same one with the black connector. I just can;t be sure.
It's possible that the other part number may work. I know that Honda has updated some of these parts at least once. But like you said, we can't be sure so it's probably better to go with the safer bet.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Ok. I cannot add links or pics yet due to low post number.

I checked the link you provided and it is listing both PartNo: 28600-P7Z-003 and PartNo: 28600-P7Z-013 for #017 SWITCH, OIL PRESSURE. That is the lower switch (3rd switch, black cap?) The only difference I can see is that one is listed as 'Texas Instruments'.

Then, there is only one for the top switch #016, PartNo: 28600-P7W-013. Looks like that might be fro the 4th switch (black cap?).

·
Registered
268 Posts
Ok. I cannot add links or pics yet due to low post number.

I checked the link you provided and it is listing both PartNo: 28600-P7Z-003 and PartNo: 28600-P7Z-013 for #017 SWITCH, OIL PRESSURE. That is the lower switch (3rd switch, black cap?) The only difference I can see is that one is listed as 'Texas Instruments'.

Then, there is only one for the top switch #016, PartNo: 28600-P7W-013. Looks like that might be fro the 4th switch (black cap?).
Looks right to me.

My guess is that Honda had multiple suppliers for part no. 17. So I think either part no. should work for the third gear switch.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi all. Just a follow up post to share a video I made with step-by-step instructions for the 2001/2002 MDX since the link on the OP from an 03-06 MDX.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts