·
Registered
45 Posts
No Failure

04 220,000 driving. 30,000 towed behind RV

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just bought a 2005 MDX with 75,000 miles. I have the whine/whistle. Quite faint but it's there. Starts to become audible at about 50 mph and increases in loudness and pitch until about 60 mph. But then begins to fade out above that.

I have been worried sick that it was indicative of a pending transmission failure, but I don't think that is the case anymore having read A LOT on this over the past week. And also, today I took it to an Acura dealer and had all fluids replaced (including transmission fluid). Personally talked to the mechanic about it for 10+ minutes. He test drove it. According to him, it is not indicative of a pending failure. He thinks it is a great car and "would drive it to Disneyland with a car full of kids tomorrow." (We're in SLC.)

The whine in our car isn't THAT loud, so it's really just slight annoyance. I can understand wanting to have the transmission replaced if I bought the car brand new and it was under warranty--But I cannot understand why people would pay to replace a transmission due to a noise. What? So it makes a little whining noise? The tires make noise. The radio makes noise. The engine makes noise. Things make noise. If it isn't so loud that it drives you mad, I say just turn the radio up.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Just bought a 2005 MDX with 75,000 miles. I have the whine/whistle. Quite faint but it's there. Starts to become audible at about 50 mph and increases in loudness and pitch until about 60 mph. But then begins to fade out above that.

I have been worried sick that it was indicative of a pending transmission failure, but I don't think that is the case anymore having read A LOT on this over the past week. And also, today I took it to an Acura dealer and had all fluids replaced (including transmission fluid). Personally talked to the mechanic about it for 10+ minutes. He test drove it. According to him, it is not indicative of a pending failure. He thinks it is a great car and "would drive it to Disneyland with a car full of kids tomorrow." (We're in SLC.)

The whine in our car isn't THAT loud, so it's really just slight annoyance. I can understand wanting to have the transmission replaced if I bought the car brand new and it was under warranty--But I cannot understand why people would pay to replace a transmission due to a noise. What? So it makes a little whining noise? The tires make noise. The radio makes noise. The engine makes noise. Things make noise. If it isn't so loud that it drives you mad, I say just turn the radio up.
Car companies probably wish that more people were like you. Once you get north of about $40k, people's expectations about a car change. A noisy transmission can turn away customers to another brand, and car companies do not want customers to buy a different brand if they are the incumbent.

I really liked my MDX, up until the last 10 days.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Car companies probably wish that more people were like you. Once you get north of about $40k, people's expectations about a car change. A noisy transmission can turn away customers to another brand, and car companies do not want customers to buy a different brand if they are the incumbent.

And I understand that when you buy a new, luxury car. But I bought mine used and not from Acura. And it is a 2005 with 75,500 miles.

I really liked my MDX, up until the last 10 days.

I have to ask--

What year is your MDX?
Miles?
Did you have the whistle?
How many mile did you drive with the whistle?
Did your transmission ever fail?
What is the latest problem you're having with it?

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have to ask--

What year is your MDX?
Miles?
Did you have the whistle?
How many mile did you drive with the whistle?
Did your transmission ever fail?
What is the latest problem you're having with it?
It "was" a 2004 with about 140,000 miles. I bought mine used and it had gear whine from day 1, and I bought it with a little over 100,000 miles. The transmission never failed according to Acura records.

The last 10 days comprised of:

* I was hit by a flying deer! I did not hit the deer, the deer hit me. Another car hit the deer, sent it flying through the air and it hit me. Smashed out the front windshield and shattered the rear side glass as well. I paid $1k to have the glass replaced.

* Two days later, it died while driving on the freeway. The timing belt broke. I checked the dealer records to see when it was last replaced before buying it, and the belt had been replaced less than 10,000 miles ago. I felt confident in a 10,000 mile belt replaced by a dealer. However, the issue was with the mechanic, because as I took things apart to determine that the belt had broke, there were loose fasteners, etc. It was crappy work from the dealer service department.

I was not willing to sink the time, money or effort into it so I sold it as-is and jumped into a Lexus RX350.

·
Registered
10 Posts
It "was" a 2004 with about 140,000 miles. I bought mine used and it had gear whine from day 1, and I bought it with a little over 100,000 miles. The transmission never failed according to Acura records.

The last 10 days comprised of:

* I was hit by a flying deer! I did not hit the deer, the deer hit me. Another car hit the deer, sent it flying through the air and it hit me. Smashed out the front windshield and shattered the rear side glass as well. I paid $1k to have the glass replaced.

* Two days later, it died while driving on the freeway. The timing belt broke. I checked the dealer records to see when it was last replaced before buying it, and the belt had been replaced less than 10,000 miles ago. I felt confident in a 10,000 mile belt replaced by a dealer. However, the issue was with the mechanic, because as I took things apart to determine that the belt had broke, there were loose fasteners, etc. It was crappy work from the dealer service department.

I was not willing to sink the time, money or effort into it so I sold it as-is and jumped into a Lexus RX350.
Wow. Crazy story about the deer. Sorry for your bad luck with the timing belt. The Lexus should be awesome though.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Wow. Crazy story about the deer. Sorry for your bad luck with the timing belt. The Lexus should be awesome though.

I saw it as the Universe's way of telling me that I should no longer own that particular vehicle. I am very please with the RX350 and plan to drive it until the Universe tells me otherwise.

41 - 48 of 48 Posts