Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

�01-�06 Transmission Whine (TW) Failure Thread Survey

32K views 49 replies 34 participants last post by  BRRoss89 
#1 ·
’01-’06 Trans. Whine (TW) Failure Thread Survey

Thanks to those who participated in the “Transmission Whine Poll”.

The purpose of this thread is to more fully document what others have experienced with symptoms & remedies.

Hopefully these results will encourage others to pursue an equally satisfactory remedy as mine.

The Symptom: A notable Whine from the transmission area which varies in pitch with speed (Not gear), and increases/decreases in intensity at various speeds. Most prevalent on Drive or Coast – Neutral throttle less so.

If you have issues, please complete this form.

List model year:
Date/Mileage TW was first observed:
Current mileage:
Symptoms:
Did TW worsen over the above time periods?

Dealer response and/or corrective actions:

Cost: If none, put "warranty" or "goodwill"
Mileage TW was addressed by Dealer:
Did you contact your local Client Services (Owners.Acura.com)? Enter Case #.
Current status of TW.

For all others who have had zero issues please put "NO FAILURE"
List year:
Current mileage:

See less See more
#3 ·
List model year:

2/09, 45Kmi

Current mileage:
64Kmi

Symptoms:
Whine on Coast & Drive

Yes

Replaced Transmission & TC with Reman. Units

$0.0 Covered under CPO Drive Train Warranty

64Kmi

Did you contact your local Client Services (Owners.Acura.com) Enter Case #.
Yes #B012010-03-2201100.

Current status of TW.
Fixed – for now

#5 ·
List model year: 2002
Date/Mileage TW was first observed: 139,000
Current mileage: 139,000
Symptoms: Transmission is slipping when shifting
Did TW worsen over the above time periods? The slipage just started but has not worsened in the week we have had the issue

Dealer response and/or corrective actions: Replace transmission is dealer response but we are trying to search for other options

Cost: $4,500
Mileage TW was addressed by Dealer: Ours never had a whine, it just failed (started slipping)
Did you contact your local Client Services (Owners.Acura.com)? The dealer actually did on our behalf. Acura offered to cover 10% ($450) but in order for them to do so we had to replace the computer as well ($650) so net/net they were no help

#7 ·
List model year: 06
Date/Mileage TW was first observed: 66k
Current mileage: 66k
Symptoms: Whine almost like a pulley going bad? Could be heard at idle. Local mechanic said it was coming from tranny.
Did TW worsen over the above time periods? n/a
Dealer response and/or corrective actions: appointment made

Cost: If none, put "warranty" or "goodwill" It had better be covered
Mileage TW was addressed by Dealer: 66k
Did you contact your local Client Services (Owners.Acura.com)? Enter Case #. n/a
Current status of TW. n/a

This is our second MDX 02 had tranny replaced @ 45k and was starting to exhibit symptoms again @ 65k traded for 06 MDX.

My father is on his third transmission on his 04 MDX first @ 24k & second @ 36k. He does tow his behind his Motor-coach.

If this does turn out to be the transmission I'm afraid this will be our last Acura.

#10 ·
List model year: 2003 MDX Touring
Date/Mileage TW was first observed: 8/15/10/82,416
Current mileage: 82,416
Symptoms: bad whine upon acceleration and gear not engaging
Did TW worsen over the above time periods? No warning. Everything went to crap literally overnight. Until late this afternoon, had never heard the whining or otherwise had any other indication that there might be a problem with tranny. Today = apparent catastrophic transmission failure.

Dealer response and/or corrective actions: Pending

Mileage TW was addressed by Dealer: Pending
Current status of TW. Pening

List year:
Current mileage:

I will be contacting the dealer first thing in the morning and I have an independent on standby. I have to tow the vehicle. It isn't even driveable. :(

#11 ·
List model year:

7/10, 62Kmi

Current mileage:
64Kmi

Symptoms:
Whine on Coast & Drive

Yes

Have not contacted dealer

Cost: Mileage TW was addressed by Dealer:
64Kmi

Did you contact your local Client Services (Owners.Yes #B012010-03-2201100. No
Current status of TW.
Just bought car so have not taken it in

#13 ·
List model year: 2003

Date/Mileage TW was first observed: Shortly after purchase used w/ 82K miles

Current mileage: 94k miles

Symptoms: low volume, high pitched whine that stops when load is absent. Not detectable on rougher roads w/ more ambient noise.

Did TW worsen over the above time periods? No, seems the same since first noticed.

Dealer response and/or corrective actions: No warranty, so no dealer contact.

Cost: If none, put "warranty" or "goodwill": NA

Mileage TW was addressed by Dealer: NA

Did you contact your local Client Services (Owners.Acura.com)? No
Enter Case #. NA

Current status of TW. : No change.

Regards

#14 ·
List model year:
Date/Mileage TW was first observed:145000
Current mileage: 152000
Symptoms: what you mentioned. Increases with speed.

Dealer response and/or corrective actions: none

Did you contact your local Client Services (Owners.Acura.com)? Yep but called the number. They said they couldn't do anything
Current status of TW.
___

#15 ·
List model year: 2002
Date/Mileage TW was first observed: Always had it (bought it used at 42k miles). Thought it was just the Acura engine sound, as the THREE cars I tested all had the same sound.
Current mileage: 123k
Symptoms: sounds like a helicopter at 15mph and pitch gets higher and sound gets faster as speed picks up.
Did TW worsen over the above time periods? Was the same, but has gotten worse since the transmission was changed in May 2010. Significantly worse in the last 2 weeks.

Dealer response and/or corrective actions: Initially stated that the torque converter was bad, but that was misdiagnosed and the transmission went bad (2nd gear known issue). Taking back to the dealer this week.

Cost: If none, put "warranty" or "goodwill" Transmission was changed (goodwill)
Mileage TW was addressed by Dealer: 80k
Did you contact your local Client Services (Owners.Acura.com)? Enter Case #. Not yet
Current status of TW. Pending

#18 ·
Date/Mileage TW was first observed: 89,000
Current mileage: 142000
Symptoms: whine, slippage between gears 2 and 3

Dealer response and/or corrective actions: reluctantly split the costs of a new refurb transmission. I had to prove I was a loyal Acura service customer to receive this.

#19 ·
List model year: 2006
Date/Mileage TW was first observed: 08/2006
Current mileage: 60550
Symptoms: None
Did TW worsen over the above time periods? Yes mine failed all together, it would take 5 minutes to get to 10 mph

Dealer response and/or corrective actions: They took mine gave me a loaner and replaced my tranny

Cost: Under warranty
Mileage TW was addressed by Dealer: 10,000
Did you contact your local Client Services (Owners.Acura.com)? No
Current status of TW: Great, but I have a letter about new software??

List year:
Current mileage:

#20 ·
Date/Mileage TW was first observed: 06/2006 55K
Current mileage: 96k
Symptoms: high pitch whine at 70mph whenever gas pedal is applied. Most noticeable when road noise is at a minimal.

Did TW worsen over the above time periods? No but tranny failed at 96k. Followed 60k and 90K tranny fluid change schedule.

Cost: $1900
Mileage TW was addressed by Dealer: 96K, Dealer "Goodwill" at took care of the rest. Original cost was $4500
Did you contact your local Client Services (Owners.Acura.com)? Yes
Current status of TW: Just got the MDX back 2 weeks ago. Took it for trip up to the mountains. Ran like a champ. Also notice that there is no more whine at 70mph, which I had with the old tranny.

#22 ·
Blinking "D5" on gear indicator

I have three signs of potential transmission problem :
1. Whinning which has been on and off
2. Big Thud which comes and goes everytime I start moving forward after
backing
3. Recently, blinking "D5" on the Gear Indicator located at the speedometer
What should I do? Please help. Vehicle : 03 MDX
Pat Lauder(deltatheta2384@yahoo.com)

Current status of TW.

List year:
Current mileage:[/B][/QUOTE]

#23 ·
Original owner of '01 with 89,800 miles. No failure, no issues

#24 ·
So Far So Good!

'03 Touring 96k - Fingers crossed :6:

Every 10K :4:

Tranny fluid change (triple drain/fill)

VTM-4 fluid change

Every 20K

Transfer fluid change

#25 ·
Purchased my 2005 Acura MDX Touring with Nav/DVD brand new from Open Road Acura of Wayne, NJ. For a luxury vehicle I expected much more, especially from Acura corporate. Never once other than a week after my purchase have they followed up with a phone call for all the problems I've encountered. Let me share with you my true experience: Two weeks after my purchase, there was rattling coming from my drop down DVD; took it in to dealer and got it was fixed. Then there were several other minor problems that dealer fixed under warranty. Still within warranty period, woofer and bass from stereo system was vibrating loudly in rear. Problem still continues today after quick fix by dealer. Then DVD and Navigation stopped working; dealer replaced. Again and again, I took MDX to dealer to address loud squeaking noise coming from idler, tensioner pulley. First they cleaned and conditioned but noise resurfaced. I took it in several other times but idler/tensioner puller was never replaced even though there was a recall or TSB on this particular equipment. This problem continues and I reported it to client care but they have refused to contact the dealer to address cost and fix. In fact, Julian from Acura care insisted that he could not call the dealer on my behalf. And, on my last two visits to Open Road Acura, I again addressed my concern with the ongoing noise from idler and tensioner pulley and whining noise coming from accelerating. (a) I was told that the belt was replaced but noise continues and is still present today. I am in no way a certified Acura technician but common sense tells me that the idler and pulley itself needs to be replaced and the dealer is refusing to replace new without a cost even though this problem was documented in service history while MDX was still under warranty. (b) The noise coming from accelerating particularly on the highway 50-60 mph, I believe may be related but not sure. It's the kind of sound that causes an earache similar to being on airplane; continuous whirring, hissing sound. Service advisor at Open Road Acura advised me that this is my transmission going bad and could fail at any time though sound is only present when accelerating at 50-60mph, highway driving. So, let's be real Acura. You tout and promote a luxury vehicle costing thousands of dollars with a life expectancy of less than three years for the transmission? This is outrageous! Especially, after I've maintained and used only Acura dealership for maintenance and preventative services. The Acura brand may be an excellent product but my MDX experience has failed to live up to this reputation and certainly Acura as well. And, if measures and actions were taken to correct the problems and issues I've had, perhaps I would have felt otherwise. What happens if my MDX seizes up or causes a fatal accident on the road due to lack of corrective measures on the part of Acura? Who should I hold responsible? Could this be a cover-up to avoid a recall? We've all paid a lot of money to be simply ignored by Acura Motors and this is not a dealer specific issue. Sorry for such a long “gripe” but I know they're more of you out there just waiting to be heard.
rp

#28 ·
Thanks for the reach-out. I'm new to this forum and really wanted to start a thread "Shame on Acura for not standing behind it's product -MDX". I wanted to see what others have to say so that perhaps Acura will take notice. I can't believe that a recall or TSB was never issued for this particular problem and how much Acura is resisting to address this issue. So for now, I'm planning to keep my MDX.

#27 ·
List model year: 2005
Date/Mileage TW was first observed: 40,000
Current mileage: 86,000
Symptoms: 1. Squeaking and grinding at start-up from tensioner pulley/idler

2. Present and ongoing whining, whirring sound when accerelating at 40-60 mph then disappears when deaccelerating
Did TW worsen over the above time periods? Yes

Dealer response and/or corrective actions: 1. Open Road Acura "dressed" tensioner belt and cleaned area but noise has resurfaced and still present. Refused to replace new pulley.
2. Dealer advised that the transmission is going bad and need to replace new A/T. No other diagnostic was done.
Cost: If none, put "warranty" or "goodwill" Dealer asking $2,500 even though all the related issues was reported and worked on under manufacturer warranty
Mileage TW was addressed by Dealer: no
Current status of TW. Yes. Acura Client Care has refused to intervene on my behalf and I have never received communication from them other than a week after I purchased vehicle

List year:
Current mileage:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.