Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, quick preface, have owned multiple Acura’s, and have been a religious follower of Honda cars and motorcycles for decades. However, I bought the wife a certified extended warranty 16 MDX 2 years ago almost to the day. Since then....wow. Have spent a lot of time at dealership. Started with the jerkyass transmission, there was an annoying loud clicking noise under drivers seat, failed battery that left us stranded at a gas station, both tail lights were filled with condensation that made both sides fail(before the recall), a couple other recalls repaired that happen to all vehicles, totally understandable. But then yesterday, another failed battery (1.5 years in between batteries) that left the wife stranded after dropping me at airport... all of these issues towed to and handled by dealerships thanks to extended warranties.

Now the fun stuff. Dealership today told me these battery issues are normal. I was told they “see all new Acura’s batteries fail on average 2-3 years due to all the smart options etc on in the background.” WTF?

Can anyone here ‘splain this? ZERO assistance from Acura customer care, they’re completely worthless. I’m currently looking at BMW, Lexus, Volvo options. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Acura Customer Relation care is rotten from the top down. I dealt with them a month ago. They don't give a $#!/.

Maybe replace the battery with the AGM ones. I have Bosch AGM battery on both my 11 MDX and 06 Odyssey for 4-5 years now. They are still running strong.

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
546 Posts
Out of curiosity what happens when the battery fails - does it act like it’s going to start and starts for a second and then dies and then it doesn’t start?

Do all your warning lights come on after that?

I replaced my original battery on my 15 two years ago (it needed it) and then a month later it acted like it died. I returned the battery (Costco) and got a new one and a month later that one also died.

I got out my multimeter and the battery was reading strong. So my issue is not a battery issue. Its some electrical issues or some computer going into a deep sleep or something. No one can tell me what it is because the codes it triggers are not accurate.

I found two things to do to temporarily correct this to get it started. Jumping it from the positive and negative terminal. For whatever reason it doesn’t jump if I attach to the negative ground bolt. It has to connect to the negative battery terminal or I found that disconnecting the positive and negative and tieing them together for 10-15 minutes resets it and once connected it will start.

I now keep a portable jump pack and a 10mm wrench in the care in case it happens while on the road which has happened several times now.

After owning a Honda CRV, Odyssey, Accord, CBR (motorcycle) and now this MDX, I doubt I am buying a Honda again.

My transmission went on the odyssey, my accord has an expensive small block issue where an extended warranty was offered but I didn’t have the issue until a year after the extended warranty expired (the car has low miles) and this MDX is unreliable on when it will start.

I know all cars and makes have issue but c’mon.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks nzone, IF kept that would be the option, but am thinking the MDX is going to be traded in when I get back in town.

Localbar, when the battery “fails” everything just clicks and flashes, it’s like the vehicle is stroking out. What’s odd, after a jump, the vehicle goes to the dealership and they ask me “what’s wrong with the car?” Because the jump holds till the next day. A dead battery doesn’t act like that. I believe there’s Acura has an issue with the charging/electrical system and they aren’t telling anyone, potential recall I assume. Typical bullshit. I have a case # and multiple calls into Acura at moment and plan to take them over the coals on the issue today or tomorrow about it. As I told the dealership yesterday when they attempted to charge me $189 for a new battery, they better make room for it somewhere because that car will sit there for years before I buy a goddamn battery for it.

·
Registered
400 Posts
When my battery failed, it doesn't flash, it's not like Chrismax, but when you press the button, it won't crank, just keep asking you to step on the brake. I really don't believe that car battery will fail within 2-3 yrs for daily drive, my last Nissan battery lasted 6 yrs, and my 15 MDX's battery lasted 5 yrs, just replaced it with Interstate from Costco, it's all good now.
My co-worker has a lease 16, she also reported jerkness, just like my 15.

·
Registered
31 Posts
You should buy a BMW if you want MORE problems! Gawd. Fellas, if you want to complain about a battery that powers more 'toys' than than your whole childhood home, then go ahead. It's incomprehensible to image the amount of junk they are putting into these cars. I do it, I see it, I fix it. If it were up to me, you would all be driving 2000 Accords, and not whining about a thing.
Don't be a *****. Buy a battery. This is the gizmo choice YOU made.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Don’t be a what??? I have a 68 firebird vert sitting next to my wife’s MDX and I put more faith in it starting on a daily basis than the damn Acura. That’s a problem. These issues with new vehicles isn’t a wrench-on-it type of game anymore. The new bells and whistles cause the gizmo problem THEY’VE created. Damn right, the reason I bought this Acura was because of the amazing reliability of the 2000 accord, great car, so was the civic of those years, and multiple CBR’s I’ve owned. This MDX is not that reliable type of vehicle, it’s terribly flawed. If it were just a battery failing every 6-8 years, that’s understandable, not 1.5 years, that’s unacceptable.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Don’t be a what??? I have a 68 firebird vert sitting next to my wife’s MDX and I put more faith in it starting on a daily basis than the damn Acura. That’s a problem. These issues with new vehicles isn’t a wrench-on-it type of game anymore. The new bells and whistles cause the gizmo problem THEY’VE created. Damn right, the reason I bought this Acura was because of the amazing reliability of the 2000 accord, great car, so was the civic of those years, and multiple CBR’s I’ve owned. This MDX is not that reliable type of vehicle, it’s terribly flawed. If it were just a battery failing every 6-8 years, that’s understandable, not 1.5 years, that’s unacceptable.
Google BMW 7-series battery replacement and you'll see how terrible it is. Warranty spent over 50K on repairs to my 760 none of which were battery related, and all those repairs were under 100K mile mark.

The auto start/stop really kills batteries and acura NEEDS to have AGM batteries. The dealer's stock typical lead acid batteries that bite the dust as soon as it gets cold due to the wear pattern of lead-acid vs agm. 2-3 years is typical on a lead acid battery in a honda/acura. AGM battery in my BMW lasted 7 yrs before crapping out; but it was in the trunk and required 2 hrs of labor and programming to replace!

Get a good Bosch AGM battery and you'll notice you will have no issues.

I hate to be this guy, buy you are comparing apples to oranges. Does your firebird have all the safety features that the MDX has? If not, then obviously there is going to be more equipment to break/fail.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Completely agree with that, csmeance, haven’t traded in yet, have been test driving etc just about everything on the market, so frustrated, the MDX clicks more of our boxes than any of the vehicles on the market. Have driven and gone over #’s on XC90, V90, GX460, X5, GLC/GLE, RX350, and 4Runner. If I could keep the Ac from going through batteries every 1.5years is almost keep it grrrrrrrrr. Thanks for the input guys.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Out of curiosity what happens when the battery fails - does it act like it’s going to start and starts for a second and then dies and then it doesn’t start?

Do all your warning lights come on after that?

I replaced my original battery on my 15 two years ago (it needed it) and then a month later it acted like it died. I returned the battery (Costco) and got a new one and a month later that one also died.

I got out my multimeter and the battery was reading strong. So my issue is not a battery issue. Its some electrical issues or some computer going into a deep sleep or something. No one can tell me what it is because the codes it triggers are not accurate.

I found two things to do to temporarily correct this to get it started. Jumping it from the positive and negative terminal. For whatever reason it doesn’t jump if I attach to the negative ground bolt. It has to connect to the negative battery terminal or I found that disconnecting the positive and negative and tieing them together for 10-15 minutes resets it and once connected it will start.

I now keep a portable jump pack and a 10mm wrench in the care in case it happens while on the road which has happened several times now.

After owning a Honda CRV, Odyssey, Accord, CBR (motorcycle) and now this MDX, I doubt I am buying a Honda again.

My transmission went on the odyssey, my accord has an expensive small block issue where an extended warranty was offered but I didn’t have the issue until a year after the extended warranty expired (the car has low miles) and this MDX is unreliable on when it will start.

I know all cars and makes have issue but c’mon.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Have you checked the alternator? They tend to go bad here and there. Disconnect the positive of the battery and let it run to 30 to an hour. If it doesn’t shut off, your alternator it’s good.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts