Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

Rattle somewhere in the cabin, 2019 MDX

4K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  vic bastige 
#1 ·
Hi,

I just brought home a 2019 MDX. When going over bumps I hear some rattle/vibration. How can I pinpoint the issue? Is this normal? This is my first Acura, is someone like this common?

Thanks,
Krista

#3 ·
Couple of thoughts:
1) Take someone with you to be your listener and see if they can find the rattle. Very difficult to do unless you can move around the cabin a bit.

2) Look in all of your cabin recesses - glove box, boot, door handle wells, door cup holder wells; anywhere you can think of. Back seat, spare tire recess, under the back floor panels, under the seats on the floor, etc. You are looking for any hard surface area where something small can get trapped and roll around. We had a 30 minute search that yielded one of the wife's plastic Blistex tubes rolling around in a back door well.

#4 ·
Hopefully you have this resolved by now but if not, a couple of items that others have posted here are -

- A loose spare tire.

- A loose trim panel such as a fender well panel. These are held on with clips and could have become unsecured.

- A loose engine bay trim pane - possible loose/missing clips.

- Rattling rear seat around the seat track area.

Of course, it's helpful to try to narrow it down - front versus back, left versus right, inside versus outside, etc. and as Ray3 mentioned, it's very helpful to have someone else in the vehicle to help pinpoint it.

Regardless, don't just accept it as 'normal'. Have the dealer fix it although if they can't reproduce it they'll likely not be able to fix it and might not even try.

#5 ·
My wife complained about a rattle in the console of our 2017. I took it to the dealer, as my hearing isn't good enough anymore to isolate tough rattle problems. Not only did they find and fix it, they found a second one, in the rear, and fixed it, too. There may be some characteristic rattles in the MDX that the dealers can locate readily.

#6 ·
Mine was the license plate frame. The dealer put it on with only two screws/bolts at the top. It was rattling when going over bumps/road at just the right frequency. I would have NEVER guessed it was the license plate frame from the sound in the cabin, but it was. Worth checking out on yours.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.