Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

It's official, no redesign on 2020 MDX

15K views 25 replies 13 participants last post by  datechboss101 
#1 ·
And probably no Type-S either...

Ah well...

#2 ·
No duh... they released a limited edition MDX for the 2020 model year. Its a given. Probably in 2020 they will show us a refreshed model for the 2021 model year. If not 2021, then its 2022.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

#5 ·
No duh... they released a limited edition MDX for the 2020 model year. Its a given. Probably in 2020 they will show us a refreshed model for the 2021 model year. If not 2021, then its 2022.

When you say "refreshed", do you really mean that, or do you think there will be a completely "redesigned" 4th Gen. in either 2021 or 2022? Also, if I understood the video right, I'm kind of surprised Honda's new 10 speed transmission will not be available in the 2020 MDX. Not a whole lot to get excited about for the coming model year if you were thinking MDX. Maybe the 4th Gen, whenever it comes, will be *electrics*!

#4 ·
They done it before, Acura might have a shorten 3rd Gen 2020 model year and release the 4th Gen MDX a little early like next spring. The 2021 4th Gen MDX would have an extra long model run of around +18 months.

#6 ·
this is why my 2017 will likely be my 5th and final MDX. I'll be looking to replace it in late 2020 and if there is no redesign / tech refresh then I'll be getting something else. Lincoln, Jaguar, Lexus, and GMC have all advanced their technology much more so than Acura (at least in the MDX).

#7 ·
The bad thing about Acura is they got caught following Honda with updates/tech compared to letting the latest/greatest tech trickle down to Honda after a few years. Only the MDX sport hybrid is the only offering different from Honda because of the powertrain; but, it still has the same basic interior layout as the 2014 MDX. I'm expecting the 4th Gen MDX to just be a larger looking 3rd Gen RDX with a 3rd row, power fold mirrors, optional captain's chairs, and V-6 engine (not sure NA or turbo-6).

#9 ·
this is why my 2017 will likely be my 5th and final MDX. I'll be looking to replace it in late 2020 and if there is no redesign / tech refresh then I'll be getting something else. Lincoln, Jaguar, Lexus, and GMC have all advanced their technology much more so than Acura (at least in the MDX).
If I churned through vehicles as quickly as you do I'd want to try different ones anyway. I can't even see switching out my 2014 for the 2019 yet (or apparently a 2020) because it'd feel like I was essentially in the same vehicle. When I'm looking for a new vehicle to replace the MDX I wouldn't do it before a 4th gen was available and even then I'd have to see what it's like and compare it to what else is available. The exception would be if mine was crashed or stolen, in which case I might be willing to replace it with the same gen MDX. If I wanted a new vehicle when the replacement is essentially what I already have I'd certainly tend to want to try something different. There are lots of similar vehicles available from many manufacturers.

My 2014 is still good for years to come though so I'm not ready for a 2020 model anyway.

Per what another poster noted above - the end of the 2nd gen was a short model year followed by an extra long model year for the start of the 3rd gen, 2014 model year, (my 2014 was built June 2013) so Acura may do that again for the intro of the 4th gen.

I hope the 4th gen will be even more appealing than the 3rd gen, which I obviously liked enough to buy, but we won't know how it appeals to each of us until it's out. There are some posters here who like the 2nd gen better than the 3rd gen so newer isn't always better - but the older keeps getting older so at some point one needs to decide whether to continue with an older vehicle than they otherwise would or choose from what's available at the time.

#10 ·
I only buy at redesigns. The only reason I bought a 17 was because I wanted the hybrid. I know financially it’s not wise but,I don’t really care. When I buy a car,I don’t want it looking like last year’s. Or the year before,etc. It’s true the tech is old in the MDX. It was old in 14. But at least they did add Apple CarPlay in 18.

#11 ·
I only buy at redesigns. The only reason I bought a 17 was because I wanted the hybrid.
While the majority of the newer one you bought was the same basic vehicle in body style, interior design, etc., the hybrid was quite a change mechanically with the different ICE engine, hybrid components, transmission, etc. so you ended up with something more significantly changed than the usual year to year minor changes (sometimes no changes other than maybe a differently named almost identical gray/white/black color). It's more understandable why you wanted to switch out at the 3 year point for that even though I wouldn't have done it myself - but my 2014 still feels new to me and only has around 60K miles on it.

#13 ·
The new Honda design is very controversial, especially on the refreshed Pilot. The new infotainment in the RDX is going to be on all new redesigned Acura products, which means the MDX will be getting it as well. Only thing between this and the Pilots infotainment is the Pilot has touchscreen while the new Acura infotainment doesn't have touchscreen.

#14 ·
Well, that means my refreshed 4th gen purchase is out to like 2024 at the earliest.

I really hope Acura forgo frivolous luxury and stick to awesome performance. I want a type S with mag ride shocks, turbo V6, brembo brakes...man here is my check now, let's do this!

#15 ·
Well, that means my refreshed 4th gen purchase is out to like 2024 at the earliest.

I really hope Acura forgo frivolous luxury and stick to awesome performance. I want a type S with mag ride shocks, turbo V6, brembo brakes...man here is my check now, let's do this!
I agree too. If they make the Type S available in the next few years, I will be putting down a secured downpayment. If its gonna be delayed, i might hop over to BMW for their craze of 6 M powered X series crossovers.

#18 ·
The video at the top of this thread says that the MDX is the best selling SUV...I wonder 'best selling' compared to what? I've searched and searched, and every article that I've come up with doesn't even show the MDX in the top 20. I've searched 'SUV', 'Mid-sized SUV', 'full sized SUV', etc, etc. and can't find the MDX listed anywhere...

#23 ·
I'm not even sure why they have navigation in cars these days. We immediately connect our phone and pull up Waze. The tech hasn't bothered us, it was a major step up from our 2010 Pilot...lol My wife loves it as is!

I wish my 2018 M3 (bought after we got the 2019 MDX) had the split screen camera (surround view and the directional view). I actually prefer the dual screens too. I've wished several times that I picked up a TLX a spec instead of my M3. Stupid BMW doesn't even have a front camera or ventilated seats... And it doesn't support android but play so I have a vent mount for my phone so I can run Waze... It's fast and pretty at least...lol

#24 ·
I really like the dual screen set up also. The only pain in the bottom is apple carplay being stuck on the upper screen and you have to use the knob to navigate. It would be a perfect solution if you could flip/flop the screens or just the option to use the bottom touch screen for apple carplay.

I've had a few 19 RDX loaners and there is a learning curve with touch pad and extra wide screen. I ended up taking my eyes off the road with the RDX a lot more compared to the MDX dual screen set-up. You were usually just 1-2 button presses away for most functions even with the 2nd Gen MDX center console 1000 buttons or 3rd Gen dual screens.

I'm waiting for Acura to go with a digital dash with the option of moving navi to the gauge cluster (and head up display).

#26 ·
The top screen does make both AA and AC useless since both applications are based off of user interactions via touch. The bottom screen would have been great since the 9.5 gen Accords had the touch screen be compatible with AA and AC and the top be used for information or Navigation.
Ditto to liking the split screen setup. The car review companies make a huge deal about this, but once you learn how to use it, which takes basically an hour, you are good to go. I never find myself having to make many clicks to adjust things - Even stuff like the heated seats will default to High Medium Low with one touch based on the other thermostat settings. Overall I think it's great and the button layout on the dash is nice and clean and not trying to be overly flashy - I feel like it will age well. It's nice being able to adjust things in the car without losing your navigation map, or having Android Auto running up top but still be able to adjust the thermostat.

I don't see how the RDX system is a step up, but I guess I'm in the minority.
I really do love the dual screen setup, and I just cant figure out the new RDX infotainment system, since it isnt a touchscreen at all. Im not liking the direction this is going, since they are following Lexus and the Germans, while our computers and Phones has touchscreen compatability.
I'm not even sure why they have navigation in cars these days. We immediately connect our phone and pull up Waze. The tech hasn't bothered us, it was a major step up from our 2010 Pilot...lol My wife loves it as is!

I wish my 2018 M3 (bought after we got the 2019 MDX) had the split screen camera (surround view and the directional view). I actually prefer the dual screens too. I've wished several times that I picked up a TLX a spec instead of my M3. Stupid BMW doesn't even have a front camera or ventilated seats... And it doesn't support android but play so I have a vent mount for my phone so I can run Waze... It's fast and pretty at least...lol
Not everyone has unlimited data, just an FYI. Plus, majority of the people prefer in car navigation, just in case if they run out of data or cant find a cellular signal in the area. However, I use the same solution as you are doing in my Daily Driver, since Nissan has the worst head units and navigations ever.

#25 ·
Ditto to liking the split screen setup. The car review companies make a huge deal about this, but once you learn how to use it, which takes basically an hour, you are good to go. I never find myself having to make many clicks to adjust things - Even stuff like the heated seats will default to High Medium Low with one touch based on the other thermostat settings. Overall I think it's great and the button layout on the dash is nice and clean and not trying to be overly flashy - I feel like it will age well. It's nice being able to adjust things in the car without losing your navigation map, or having Android Auto running up top but still be able to adjust the thermostat.

I don't see how the RDX system is a step up, but I guess I'm in the minority.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.