Throttle Body cleaning: Should I or shouldn't I? - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Throttle Body cleaning: Should I or shouldn't I?

My Acura service is recommending that I have the throttle body cleaned on my 2015 MDX sh-awd. My vehicle has 47,000 miles on it and there haven't been any fault codes or warning lights although I don't know if a dirty throttle body would trigger any warnings.

I admit that I have no idea if this is necessary or even why it matters. I understand what the throttle body does and I also know that it is supposed to be adjusted automatically by the engine computer which apparently compensates for gradual wear/dirt.
Should I do it?
What performance difference would I see if any?
Why does it matter?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebucko View Post
Should I do it?
What performance difference would I see if any?
Why does it matter?
With modern fuel injection systems, the throttle body will get dirty. How soon or badly depends on a handful of things. Maybe this is why you probably don't see throttle body cleaning on most (any?) preventative maintenance schedules, which leaves car owners in limbo about the service. Generally, if the car idles roughly or doesn't accelerate well, a dirty TB or fuel injectors could be the cause.

Unfortunately, TB cleaning can also be an opportunity for some dealers to improve revenue, charging unsuspecting customers for what may be an unneeded service. For example, I once had an Acadia in for service, at lower mileage than your MDX. The dealer tried to pressure me into the service by insisting I initial the shop order, specifically stating I was declining TB cleaning and making it seem like I was taking a big risk. The charge was >$200, so I declined, went home and did some research on the topic. Afterwards, seeing how easy it was to get to the Acadia's TB, I checked it out myself and it looked almost like new. Never returned to that dealer.

Which is not to say your dealer is trying to take advantage you. I haven't been under the hood much on my MDX, so don't know about accessibility. You also didn't mention how much they charge.

Anywho, more info for you:

https://mobiloil.com/en/article/car-...cleaning-guide

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...+body+cleaning

2018 MDX Sport Hybrid Advance, Lunar Silver
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

The inspection report states: Perform throttle body service based on time/mileage and or dealer history (Found intake to have Carbon build up.) $169.95

This is definitely not a routine maintenance task I feel comfortable attempting because of the probable computer programming that could be involved.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago

If the control module has made throttle plate position adjustments to accommodate for carbon build up, there would be some relearning needed. That was not the case for me, but different vehicle, mileage,.... A good scan tool to reset the ECM/PCM, whether it's made specifically for Honda or one that works with a range of different makes, could cost as much or more than your dealer's service charge. While a scanner can be used for other purposes, I can understand not being comfortable with the reprogramming. This probably makes the dealer option worth the peace of mind. 50K miles also seems like a reasonable point to do the cleaning as a PM item.

2018 MDX Sport Hybrid Advance, Lunar Silver
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago
BGK

I have put a lot of miles on a lot of cars, including 260K on a BMW, and I have not had service on fuel injectors or a throttle body in over 30 years. In the early days we would use a product like Techron to keep the fuel system clean. Now I donít do that. I use Top Tier gasoline products, which supposedly contain additives that help keep the fuel system clean - zero problems:

https://www.toptiergas.com/licensed-brands/

I would not touch the throttle body unless I was having driveability problems - period. I would go by the MID for my normal maintenance services and ignore what the dealers want to sell me.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago

This 'service' is a way for the dealership to make money. There's no need for it unless there's a specific demonstrable issue they can show you that's directly attributable to the TB being 'dirty'. I've never had to clean the TB in any vehicle I've owned including the Durango I put 235K miles on.

Beware of these 'add-on' up-sells from dealer service departments. They're mostly a way for them to make a lot of money.

If you're considering having them do this regardless, ask them specifically what they do when they 'clean' it since it might amount to them dumping an $8 can of chemical in the gas tank and/or just spraying the visible areas of the TB with carb cleaner which will really have no effect on its operation but would cost them about 5-10 minutes of effort and a couple of squirts from a can to reap $169 from you. If they say they'll remove and disassemble the TB to clean it that's at least more work for justification of their cost but also exposes you to it not working so well once they reassemble it.

I'd skip it if I was you.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago

With modern fuels, and as long as your buying name brand fuels the additive package should be more than sufficient for most cars.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago

Costco sells injector cleaner pretty cheap. I put a bottle in every a few months as cheap insurance
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago

Read this: https://www.mdxers.org/forums/74-sec...ttle-body.html

2G MDX Tech & Entert // Sport Running Board // F&R Fender Garnish // Wheel Locks // K&N Filter making a billion horsepower...
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago

As long as you are using premium fuel and maintaining your air filters you should be just fine! I have always used premium fuels and maintain my air filters , checking and cleaning them 3 times a year! I clean my maf sensor yearly as it is simple to do and i get to inspect the throttle body which is as clean as a whistle. 10 years on this vehicle and have not needed to clean throttle body. That being said there would be no harm spraying the throttle body if you see dirt build up.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago

^ Hitting VTEC on regular basis also help.. I found out on the shop that carbon build up is more prevalent on Honda engines that never see high RPM.

2G MDX Tech & Entert // Sport Running Board // F&R Fender Garnish // Wheel Locks // K&N Filter making a billion horsepower...
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago

Just pointing out that air intake tract is not exposed to any fuel (direct injection), so whatever you might put in the tank is not going to have any effect on this portion of the intake system. However, plenty of PCV oil vapors and similar in there that will cause a build up over time.

My understanding of the prevailing logic is, yes, if you look at the backside of the throttle body it's likely to have a layer of dark brown or black film, but unless it's causing drivability problems its best to leave it be (unintended consequences of damaging it or something else). I gather if the car is used mostly in stop and go driving, the build up will be greater. Quality oil and on time changes may help reduce the issue.

2017 MDX Advance SH-AWD, Modern Steel with Ebony
2016 Chevy SS, 6 speed manual
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago Thread Starter

Thank you all for your advice on this issue. Since I don't perceive any performance or operating problems I have decided to just leave it alone. If something changes I'll update this thread.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago

Carli123 is on a roll this month, not sure why i stated fuel in my explanation above , brain moment!
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 4 Weeks Ago

Ahh memories of my e90 335 and carbon buildup.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5290.JPG
Views:	23
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	109842  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement