Honda charges more ???? - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 2 Days Ago Thread Starter

Honda charges more ????

So I took the MDX for the first time to my Honda dealer, cause I didn't feel like to take Interstate 4 (happens to be the most deadliest highway in the USA). I got my usual service advisor that we had for about 5 years now (we had a 99 Accord and 05 Odyssey prior to the MDX) and he saw the MDX. However, when it came for the time to pay, he said the price is $84. I am like, that's $20 more expensive, but I had no choice since the local Acura dealer sent me to voicemail TWICE, and I didn't feel like to add 40 miles for no reason.

Is $84 accurate for a synthetic oil change and tire rotation? Seems too much for me. And I am that type of guy that will hunt down for the best deal for services.

1999 Honda Accord LX 2.3L 4AT SSM
2016 Nissan Rogue SL 2.5L CVT ABM
2017 Acura MDX Tech BCP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 2 Days Ago

I can't help you directly since I do my own oil changes and tire rotations but the cost doesn't seem that out of line. Most dealers will have coupons, specials, and the like for oil changes - did you take advantage of one of those? If not, wait until one is offered before doing that service again. You can also call a couple of dealers beforehand to get the price for comparison. You can also have this work done by a trusted mechanic who's not at a dealership for likely less. And if you really want to do it inexpensively and without resorting to driving on rte 4 or even having to leave your driveway you could try doing it yourself if you're up for that. It's easy to do as long as you're physically able to do it.

I buy full syn Mobile 1 0w-30 at Walmart in 5 qt jugs for somewhere in the $25 or so range and buy Acura/Honda oil filters so in 'parts' an oil change costs me somewhere around $32 or so.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 2 Days Ago

This is why I DIY my oil changes, both the cost and time factor. Grabbing the supplies while I am at the store anyway means the time I would spend driving to/from the dealer is used to do the work and the time waiting at the dealer is time saved, so overall less time involved too.

That said, not everyone is capable or interested in DIY. As already stated, there are usually coupons or 3rd party less expensive alternates, but just walking into any dealer and handing over the keys without inquiring on pricing is the best way to pay the most. Calling ahead and asking about any specials will usually flush out any coupons as will asking if they will match a competitor price or coupon. Most times any discussion after the work is done and the bill is in hand is wasted breath, and that's not just true of repair shops.

2007 MDX Tech Billet Silver
2007 Honda Odyssey EX-L Nav/Res
30+ Years Automotive & Related Industry Experience

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 2 Days Ago

Garage
I pay an on-time fee at Discount Tires for lifetime rotations and balance. You can do this with your existing OEM tires or if you purchased new tires from them or somewhere else. I always do a rotation/X-rotation+balance every oil change. I also purchase my oil from Walmart to take for my oil changes. It is usually under $30 for an oil change and car wash. I also purchase my engine/cabin air filters on Amazon and take care of it myself (Acura can charge up to $100 for a $15 cabin air filter). I did the lifetime warranty on alignments at Firestone. I usually do an alignment twice a year, if I get new tires, or if I get any suspension work done.

You just have to trade for a little more labor on your part for money if you don't like the dealership prices.

19 MDX sh-sh-awd Adv Fathom Blue Pearl w/ Graystone
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 2 Days Ago

I suspect that part of the increase is that the oil capacity is greater on an MDX than your two Hondas.

Also consider that you are dealing with someone you know and you don't have the hassle factor of traveling further to the Acura dealer. I would have no problem with $84 for oil change and tire rotation in that case.

2017 MDX Advance, White Diamond Pearl/Espresso
2015 Mercedes S550
2019 Lexus ES300h
2000 Chevy Silverado 2500
Previous MDXs: 2001 Touring, 2005 Touring, 2011 Advance
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 2 Days Ago

what was the service? Some oil changes have other things done.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement