MDX 2017 or 2018 hybrid? - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 1 Day Ago Thread Starter

MDX 2017 or 2018 hybrid?

Hi,
I am looking into buying a used MDX 2017 or 2018 hybrid tech package model.
I found both years and wondering if 2018 has any advantages over 2018 in terms of reliability. Since 2017 was the first year of production, I wonder if any issues were fixed in 2018 or 2019.
Thanks for any input.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 1 Day Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by gugy View Post
Hi,
I am looking into buying a used MDX 2017 or 2018 hybrid tech package model.
I found both years and wondering if 2018 has any advantages over 2018 in terms of reliability. Since 2017 was the first year of production, I wonder if any issues were fixed in 2018 or 2019.
Thanks for any input.
Outside of the 2018 having a new infotainment system and Apple car play,I am not aware of anything.

2014 MDX,TECH. CHERRY AWD Gone.
2017 MDX, ADV SP HYBRID. MODERN STEEL.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 1 Day Ago

Garage
Some of the early 17 sh-sh-awd had a shifting issue with the 7DCT and a fluid change seemed to take care of it. There is a recall on the rear light housing needing to be replaced because of moisture. Less of a chance of this recall effecting you if you find a +18 sh-sh-awd.

I was looking for an used 18 at first because of the Apple Car Play. Using Siri for sending/receiving texts, access to playlist, and having 3 maps to pick from when traveling (Waze, apple maps, google maps) was worth it for me. Using Waze is way better than Acura Navi by far (love the police spotted feature). Unfortunately, I couldn't find an used version in the color combo I wanted and decided to go with a new 19.

Added benefit with Apple Car Play was I was on vacation and rented a car (Jag F-Pace) with Apple Car Play. I didn't have to learn the Jag navi or entertainment system at all and just used my smartphone for everything.

19 MDX sh-sh-awd Adv Fathom Blue Pearl w/ Graystone

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 21 Hours Ago Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgold35 View Post
Some of the early 17 sh-sh-awd had a shifting issue with the 7DCT and a fluid change seemed to take care of it. There is a recall on the rear light housing needing to be replaced because of moisture. Less of a chance of this recall effecting you if you find a +18 sh-sh-awd.

I was looking for an used 18 at first because of the Apple Car Play. Using Siri for sending/receiving texts, access to playlist, and having 3 maps to pick from when traveling (Waze, apple maps, google maps) was worth it for me. Using Waze is way better than Acura Navi by far (love the police spotted feature). Unfortunately, I couldn't find an used version in the color combo I wanted and decided to go with a new 19.

Added benefit with Apple Car Play was I was on vacation and rented a car (Jag F-Pace) with Apple Car Play. I didn't have to learn the Jag navi or entertainment system at all and just used my smartphone for everything.
Yeah, I am an Apple guy. I would love to get CarPlay but it depends how much would be the difference. I found good deals on the 2017. Not much inventory out there though. Not surprising due the great MPG.
I currently have a MDX 2003 on the last legs. I love the car but hate the consumption averaging 15 MPG on 87gas. The hybrid is very appealing if the MPG figures are indeed true.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 15 Hours Ago

Quote:
I was on vacation and rented a car (Jag F-Pace)
Off topic but - how was the Jag?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 5 Hours Ago

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdxstang View Post
Off topic but - how was the Jag?
It was a 2.5T 250hp AWD F-Pace with Navi+Hotspot+Apple car play. Pretty much the base model Jag with the three info-tainment upgrades. It felt about the same size as the 19 RDX on the inside with the jag having a larger hatch area and larger dimensions overall.

Pros:
- never felt under-powered with the lowest hp engine
- 8AT always in the right gear for max power when needed
- combined mpgs never below 25 mph and 27-28 mph on straight hwy runs at 70-75 mph (San Jose, Santa Cruz, Monterrey, Fresno, Sequoia National Park)
- comfy seats (got a little hot at times because they are not perforated)
- Pano sunroof was really nice (especially at Sequoia National Park)
- very good back up camera
- apple car play along with touch screen is the way to go instead of using the knob with Acura
- lots of driver leg room, more than my MDX (6'3" size 14 shoe)
- way better 3D navi system with hotspot, use it like you would a smartphone
- spare tire in hatch
- sporty ride, can take the curves with minimal body role
- excellent brakes
- fun to drive

Cons:
- almost zero luxury touches like memory seats, folding side mirrors, heated/cooled seats, only lane departure warning (no BSI, ACC, CMBS)
- lots of hard plastics and econo-car look to the materials and style
- projector halogen headlights, I couldn't tell they were on sometimes
- no seat belt height adjust on pillar
- tight cockpit like front seats with high center console
- extremely small arm rest storage, barely fit my iphone 6s plus with cable for apply carplay
- very sporty ride and will get bouncy on bumps and uneven surfaces
- the Acura push button gear knobs is a better design compared to the Jag knob gear changer you have to twist (knob blocked my view of N, D, S when up)

Looked up the Jag and it was around $48,000 for this model+upgrades. I rather have the 19 RDX Adv sh-awd for the money.

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 3 Hours Ago

I have the 2017 Hybrid Advance with 20K+ miles and love it. The info system is clunky and slow. Lots of people despise it, but it doesn't bother me that much now that I know the limitations. I came from a zero-tech 2003 TL and navi 2006 MDX, so it's possible that I'm less critical of it.

I would recommend the 2019 or 2018 if you can find one at a price you like. Both have the new info system with CarPlay. I'm not aware of any other significant mechanical or technical changes over the 2017.

If you find a 2017 you like, go for it. Same hybrid system and active suspension as the newer years. I've found that using the AcuraLink subscription ($200+/yr) to send addresses to the vehicle helps avoid using the info unit for that purose. So, maybe bump your TCO up by $200/yr when comparing this year with the newer ones. I also agree with others on this forum that the subscription is grossly overpriced for what you get.

The other issue that I researched heavily pre-purchase and continue to monitor is just how is the HV battery going to age. The newer the model year you can get, the newer the battery in theory. Since these are new hybrid installations, most of the available data is for the Toyotas (Prius) and Hondas (Accord) that have been in the field 6-10 years. From what I can find, HV batteries typically last 10+ years with ease and may include some excess capacity to offset the degradation as they age. There are some that fail early and under warranty. I plan to keep this vehicle for 10+ years, so I think we are all betting on a robust battery refurbishment industry to develop in the next 5 or so years.

2017 Acura MDX Sport Hybrid
2019 Honda Odyssey Elite

Last edited by coralreefer; 3 Hours Ago at 09:17 AM. Reason: Added note that the subscription service is grossly overpriced for what you get.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 2 Hours Ago

Garage
That is the good thing about Apple CarPlay with the +18 sh-sh-awd because you don't have to use AcuraLink. You have full control of the smartphone navi at all times and Siri can update your destination on the fly by voice command. My wife usually searches on the iphone tethered in the MDX (points of interest, restaurants, outlet malls, etc...), saves the address in Waze, and away we go.

Using Waze compared to Acura Navi is like when I traded in my printed MapQuest sheets for my first in car navi in my 06 TSX.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement