Timing Belt Replacement. 100k Kms OR 5 years?? - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 1 Day Ago Thread Starter

Timing Belt Replacement. 100k Kms OR 5 years??

I'm in Canada and am at about 78,000 kms on my 2014 base MDX. I have my MDX in the shop for an oil and diff fluid change right now.

The service advisor "advised" me that I should have my timing belt replaced sometime soon - probably before winter according to him. He was saying it's a 100,000 km part or 5 years, which is where I'm at now. The Acura websites / manuals make no mention of 5 years...

The Acura USA website says its a maintenance minder 4 warning with the caveat that:
*4: If you drive regularly in very high temperatures (over 110°F, 43°C), in very low temperatures (under -20°F, -29°C), or tow a trailer, replace every 60,000 miles/100,000 km.
(note: neither of those conditions are true for me in Calgary)

The Acura Canada website says replace the timing belt every 100,000 kms.

Nowhere do I see any mention of some kind of time-based lifetime on the timing belt.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

And, if I do have my timing belt replaced, is this something I should get done at the dealership? Or, can I be confident getting this done at any shop?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quote:
Originally Posted by FluxCapacitor View Post
The Acura Canada website says replace the timing belt every 100,000 kms.
No, it says to replace it at code 4 on the maintenance minder. Or every 100K kms in case you live in the following conditions:
if vehicle is regularly driven in very low temperatures (V6 only)

Quote:
Nowhere do I see any mention of some kind of time-based lifetime on the timing belt.
You are right, it's not noted anywhere. However rubber deteriorates with time regardless of mileage or conditions. I would say 5-6 years is a good estimation for replacement regardless of mileage. Remember, if your TB breaks, you are likely to say pretty much bye-bye to your engine. It's best to keep these things maintained.

That being said, OEM belts and components are built to last. When I replaced mine at 160K kms on a second gen, the TB didn't look worn whatsoever, no tears or cracks and still pliable. I have heard reports of people going on 200K kms with the same belt. I wouldn't risk it, but that's a good indicator of excessive quality.

Quote:
And, if I do have my timing belt replaced, is this something I should get done at the dealership? Or, can I be confident getting this done at any shop?
You can do it yourself or in any reputable shop.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Anything is possible with the right tools and motivation!
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 1 Day Ago Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcuraAddicted View Post
No, it says to replace it at code 4 on the maintenance minder. Or every 100K kms in case you live in the following conditions:
if vehicle is regularly driven in very low temperatures (V6 only)

You are right, it's not noted anywhere. However rubber deteriorates with time regardless of mileage or conditions. I would say 5-6 years is a good estimation for replacement regardless of mileage. Remember, if your TB breaks, you are likely to say pretty much bye-bye to your engine. It's best to keep these things maintained.

That being said, OEM belts and components are built to last. When I replaced mine at 160K kms on a second gen, the TB didn't look worn whatsoever, no tears or cracks and still pliable. I have heard reports of people going on 200K kms with the same belt. I wouldn't risk it, but that's a good indicator of excessive quality.

You can do it yourself or in any reputable shop.
Gotcha. That all makes sense. And I agree, obviously, that I do not want do damage my engine. Is it very easy to inspect the timing belt?

I thought the timing belt was every 100,000 miles, not kms. It would seem I was wrong on this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I was searching, I found that 7 years or 105,000 Miles was the MDX TB interval.

I did mine at 8 years 81,000 miles.

On other Acuras, I have waited 9 years and 75,000 miles, because of dry-rot worries.

The very first timing belt is recommended to do at 60,000 miles or 5 years.
THEN every 105Kmiles or 7 years...

A lot of folks skip on the first one that is why they end up doing it at 105K or 7 years.

2G MDX Tech & Entert // Sport Running Board // F&R Fender Garnish // Wheel Locks // K&N Filter making a billion horsepower...

Do not **** around with the timing belt. Do that and replace the water pump
AcuraAddicted likes this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdx-4me View Post
I thought the timing belt was every 100,000 miles, not kms. It would seem I was wrong on this?
There is no such thing as an official Acura recommended mileage based timing belt service for vehicles driven in regular weather conditions. The only thing that defines a requirement for a timing belt replacement is the code 4 displayed by the maintenance minder. Maintenance minder codes are very roughly related to the mileage, yes, but more to the engine working hours. So while it is true that it usually prompts for the timing belt replacement around 100K miles, it varies a little bit.

Now as to the "not normal" weather conditions, there is an official Acura recommendation to replace the timing belt at 60K miles (which is roughly 100K kms) under the following circumstances:

If you drive regularly in very high temperatures (over 110°F, 43°C), in very low temperatures (under -20°F, -29°C), or tow a trailer, replace every 60,000 miles/100,000 km.

Which makes sense as temperature affects material deterioration significantly.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardude2000 View Post
Do not **** around with the timing belt. Do that and replace the water pump
Couldn't agree more! BTW, it always surprises me every time I read the official Acura requirement for code 4, which is "inspect" water pump. I mean, you just spent hours getting there and will spend more hours assembling everything back. Just replace the damn pump while you are doing it. It's not worth the risk and your time again next time.

I'd follow the recommendation in the owner's manual, which is to do it when the maintenance minder indicates to do it. Generally timing belts s/b good for around 100K 'miles' or so - I think many manufacturers, probably somewhat arbitrarily, select something just over 100K such as 105K miles, probably to make the first 100K miles fairly maintenance free.

Replacing the timing belt would not be an easy DIY. If you're asking the question then you likely wouldn't want to do it yourself. A qualified mechanic s/b able to do it - they don't necessarily need to work at an Acura shop.

Replace the (original) water pump when doing the timing belt since it has to come off and be put back on anyway and the majority of the cost is labor and a water pump is pretty aged and nearing the end of it's life by then anyway, assuming it makes it that far in the first place. But if the water pump happened to be replaced not long before the timing belt replacement then I might do the 'inspection' rather than replacement, which may be why the directions state 'inspect' rather than 'replace'. It's certainly possible for a water pump to fail before the timing belt replacement time.

I wouldn't take what a 'Service Advisor' says as gospel - many of them don't really know that much about vehicle mechanics and some may be trying to upsell. I think the manual trumps what an SA says unless they can back it up with something objective.

My 2014 is almost 6 years old now and about 60K miles. I'm certainly not going to follow some arbitrary '5 year' rule for replacing it. These belts can go a long time and are more directly proportional to use rather than age unless the age gets extensive. I'll replace mine when the MID tells me to but might get nervous about it if I get to 110K miles and it hasn't popped up yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcuraAddicted View Post
There is no such thing as an official Acura recommended mileage based timing belt service for vehicles driven in regular weather conditions.
While is not in your owners manual Acura/Honda uses this guideline for every J-Series in existence:

As you can see the dot is under 105K.
Now where does the 7 year comes out? it comes out of the national average driven miles in a year which is 15K.
So 105/15 = 7 years.

2G MDX Tech & Entert // Sport Running Board // F&R Fender Garnish // Wheel Locks // K&N Filter making a billion horsepower...

The Direct Injection Engine may run hotter than the earlier port-injected J Series engines. Honda engineering may also be concerned with the extra strain on the timing belt, since the high pressure fuel pump is driven off the camshaft.

I am planning to do my belt and pump next Fall, which will be at 80K miles and 6-1/2 years from the production date. The hot weather in Florida and the fact that I do a lot of towing makes me want a little more safety than my usual 90K/7 year interval.

Be aware that Acura recommends replacement of 7 bolts, 1 O-ring, and possible addition of a shim to correct mis-alignment of the belt pulley.

Refer to Service Bulletin # 14-025 version 4 in this list:
https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-mdx-...inside-906762/

2014 SH-AWD TECH
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 23 Hours Ago

While I agree that the TB is not something to **** with, if it were my car (being you live in Canada and avoid the super hot weather of the southern US) I would be doing it by the US interval which would be around 170km or 7 years. The 7 years, IMO, would not be as critical in Canada either.

Another thing to consider is how long you plan to keep the car, which I believe should influence all maintenance decisions. If you plan to drive it to around 200km then changing it a 100km for peace of mind knowing you will sell/trade when you get to 200km would be a decent strategy, but if you were more in the mind to drive it to 300km then I would change it around 150km so I would only have to do it once in the life of the car.

2007 MDX Tech Billet Silver
2007 Honda Odyssey EX-L Nav/Res
30+ Years Automotive & Related Industry Experience
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 22 Hours Ago Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by skirmich View Post
While is not in your owners manual Acura/Honda uses this guideline for every J-Series in existence:

As you can see the dot is under 105K.
Now where does the 7 year comes out? it comes out of the national average driven miles in a year which is 15K.
So 105/15 = 7 years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pkrface View Post
While I agree that the TB is not something to **** with, if it were my car (being you live in Canada and avoid the super hot weather of the southern US) I would be doing it by the US interval which would be around 170km or 7 years. The 7 years, IMO, would not be as critical in Canada either.

Another thing to consider is how long you plan to keep the car, which I believe should influence all maintenance decisions. If you plan to drive it to around 200km then changing it a 100km for peace of mind knowing you will sell/trade when you get to 200km would be a decent strategy, but if you were more in the mind to drive it to 300km then I would change it around 150km so I would only have to do it once in the life of the car.
Thanks to all for this info. Very helpful. Given I'm under on both mileage and time I am inclined to wait until next year.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 17 Hours Ago

Bear in mind this is just a recommendation… While is useful is does not mean the timing belt will fail the next mile or year..
I have seen people changing their T-Belts in 10 years and what ever the mileage, Ive seen people never change the T-Belt and never have a problem.

Its a lot of factors which dictate Belt wear, If you live in the ideal conditions the belt might never fail… But the Hydraulic Tensioner will surely will.. I have seen more Hydraulic Tensioner failures than Belt Failures.

This is one of those Jobs that benefit greatly of someone capable of DYIng as the total cost to change the T-Belt goes down to the cost of the Kit..
In my case I spent around 250 bucks to do this service in my MDX since I DIY´it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement