Long service history/How Acura response to my lawyer - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 4 Days Ago Thread Starter

Long service history/How Acura response to my lawyer

If you plan on buying the MDX, read the attachment of my long service history with ongoing issues and the letter from Acura responding to my lawyer. Basically, they're saying "respectfully decline assistance". I wanted to post this on Reddit, but couldn't find a way to attach PDFs

Short summary:
11/20/15: 3 days: Moisture in tail light housing. Replaced housing.
01/09/16: Shifting issue. Update PCM.TCM, but didn't solve the issue.
04/28/16: Both LF and LR window run channels are deformed making noise. Rattle over bumps. Replaced both but didn't fix the noise from the LF window.
09/23/16: 7 days: Replaced LF window run channel 2nd time, but didn't fix the noise when going over choppy road. Rattle over bumps. Replaced rear dampers TSB 16-035.
02/12/18: RR door inner panel falling out. Replaced LF window run channel again 3rd time, still didn't fix the noise. Rattle from 2nd row seats when going over bumps. Alarm keep going off, replaced hood latch. Popping noise in 2nd row. Dealer didn't want to replace warped rotors under warranty.
02/14/18: Hard transmission shifting. Updated software, problem still present.
04/30/18: 7 days: Rattle from 2nd row seats when going over bumps again. Problem still there. Unable to start car in cold temp, but was told that the battery is fine.
07/12/18: 6 days: LKAS hugging right size. TSB 15-027. Still hugging to the right.
08/18/18: 3 days: Previous work damaged side sill panel
10/03/18: 2 days: Replaced LF window run channel again 4th time. Still didn't fix the noise. Multiple requests to replace the whole driver door, but denied. Warm air coming out of rear vents when the system is off, but was told it was normal.
12/07/18: 14 days: Fixed Plastic noise from FR of dash area. Replaced LF window run channel again 5th time, but noise still there when going over choppy road. Metal to metal noise in 2nd row, replaced slide base.

Current issues: LKAS hugging right, LF window noise, warped rotors, engine ticking noise/chirps, transmission hard shift, unable to start in cold weather, warm air coming out of rear vents even when system is off.

45+ days total in shop so far

Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2016AcuraMDXServiceHistory.pdf (153.2 KB, 52 views)
File Type: pdf AcuraResponse.pdf (337.9 KB, 71 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 4 Days Ago

Wow, looks like you got a lemon!

P.S. I don't think three year old rotors could be under warranty: just as pads these are regular service wearable items.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Anything is possible with the right tools and motivation!
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 4 Days Ago

Lmao youre asking them to fix issues that are prevalent in the MDX. They're not going to be able to fix engineering/quality control issues from the factory. That's not to say that many of these issues can't be fixed but keep in mind we buy Honda/Acura for their superior motor, overall longevity, and SH-AWD. If you want fit and finish buy German or if you want an overall superior build, buy Toyota.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 4 Days Ago

I know that nothing anyone says here will change your mind about the vehicle, about the dealer, or about Acura itself. But if I had the same level of issues you did, I'd either have found another dealer to work with, or have cut my losses and moved along. I've had a couple of Acuras that were less "quality" than others - and that's true with most any car make - and in the end you just move along to find something that works out better for your needs and satisfaction. I know that with my '15 RDX I had several issues and simply moved past it to my '17 MDX....

andy

Andy from Southern NH

Current Rides:
2018 Acura RLX Sport Hybrid - Wife's, 2500 miles, Majestic Black
2017 Acura MDX SH-AWD Tech - Mine, 15k miles, Fathom Blue
2017 Acura ILX Premium - Oldest kid's, 39k miles, White

Previous Acura family vehicles:
2015 Acura RDX AWD Tech
2012 Acura TL SH-AWD Tech
2013 Acura MDX SH-AWD Base
1996 Acura RL
1993 Acura Legend L
1991 Acura Integra GS coupe
1990 Acura Integra LS sedan
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 4 Days Ago

sad to see someone that upset at a car.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 3 Days Ago

Since you live in the Denver area, Iíd recommend going to Mile High Acura and have them look over your issues. I purchased my Ď19 from them and they have been solid at looking into the issues I had.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 2 Days Ago

You need to find another dealer or move on. Acura might consider it self luxury car but their build quality is not their .
Mine had build issues and it got fixed by another dealer .
Some dealer care some donít as itís warranty work ..

hate to add fuel to the flame, but Acura's overall quality has really taken a dive for the worse during the past decade or more IMHO- unless you're equipped with the tools and know-how to work on you're own car, then buying a 'luxury' vehicle like an 2016 MDX, can be like a being in a long, drawn out nightmare. this may sound very biased, but where a car is made IMHO has ALOT to do with the overall quality/satisfaction of the finished product (too bad Acura doesn't have the MDX assembled in JAPAN!!!!!...or even Canada was an improvement compared to today's LACK of quality!!)...

case in point:

ACURA MDX--->Where It Was Made Previously
https://www.cardinalewayacura.com/bl...tion-location/

Acura is the luxury brand of the Honda corporation. The MDX had previously been made solely in Alabama. In 2016, Honda announced that production of our SUV would be split between Alabama and East Liberty, Ohio, where the Honda CR-V was also made. Now that the time has come, it looks like a shift has occurred and the MDX will be produced solely in East Liberty
Wilsoncc likes this.

2009 MDX
Tech Pkg
Bali Blue Pearl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Priscillababy View Post
hate to add fuel to the flame, but Acura's overall quality has really taken a dive for the worse during the past decade or more IMHO- unless you're equipped with the tools and know-how to work on you're own car, then buying a 'luxury' vehicle like an 2016 MDX, can be like a being in a long, drawn out nightmare. this may sound very biased, but where a car is made IMHO has ALOT to do with the overall quality/satisfaction of the finished product (too bad Acura doesn't have the MDX assembled in JAPAN!!!!!...or even Canada was an improvement compared to today's LACK of quality!!)...

case in point:

ACURA MDX--->Where It Was Made Previously
https://www.cardinalewayacura.com/bl...tion-location/

Acura is the luxury brand of the Honda corporation. The MDX had previously been made solely in Alabama. In 2016, Honda announced that production of our SUV would be split between Alabama and East Liberty, Ohio, where the Honda CR-V was also made. Now that the time has come, it looks like a shift has occurred and the MDX will be produced solely in East Liberty
I had a 14 for almost 5 years. No problems. Now I have a 17 and no real problems. Based on your signature,you have a 10 year old MDX. Whatís your experience that the quality has gone down?

2014 MDX,TECH. CHERRY AWD Gone.
2017 MDX, ADV SP HYBRID. MODERN STEEL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvisfan View Post
I had a 14 for almost 5 years. No problems. Now I have a 17 and no real problems. Based on your signature,you have a 10 year old MDX. What’s your experience that the quality has gone down?
yes I also have a Big hole in my purse compliments of many Acura stealerships service departments that have taken their turns while generously bending me over on all 4's over the past 10 years (a bunch of service items that really shouldn't be necessary on a "luxury" car!)

for reference, I also own a Mercedes SUV and an Audi sedan- in all fairness, both slightly newer than the MDX (my daily)- however NEITHER hasn't required as many trips to their respective stealerships as the Acura MDX has during a similar time frame when it was newer!!!...

I've said it before and I'll say it again- Acura just ain't ready to play with the Big Boys just yet!!!!

2009 MDX
Tech Pkg
Bali Blue Pearl

Quote:
hate to add fuel to the flame, but Acura's overall quality has really taken a dive for the worse during the past decade or more IMHO- unless you're equipped with the tools and know-how to work on you're own car, then buying a 'luxury' vehicle like an 2016 MDX
Just one data point but - my 2014 MDX, assembled in Alabama by American talent, is almost 6 years old now and I've had no problems with it.

I don't know what issues you experienced with yours and if you were taken advantage of at a dealership pushing unneeded service or something, but if so that's a bad situation you shouldn't have had to deal with and hopefully switched to a different dealership or an independent qualified mechanic to get better honest advice, but certainly we haven't all had those experiences.

I don't know why you used the term 'luxury' multiple times in this context - it has nothing at all to do with the reliability or build quality of a vehicle - it's generally more about what kind of cows the leather comes from, whether they use real wood rather than wood looking plastic, and more gizmos on the vehicle, each of which generally actually reduces the reliability since it's more things to break - like little motors and actuators all over the place. The price tag of the proverbial $50K (which was quite a bit more than I paid for mine btw) isn't meaningful when it comes to reliability since that cost goes to pay for the leather, SHAWD if equipped, power lift gate, infotainment, etc. We all hope some of it may go into improved engineering/reliability/quality but I never look at it that way and thus perhaps aren't as disappointed as some might be.

Regardless, my early built 3rd gen (manufactured June 2013) has been surprisingly great in the area of reliability. I say 'surprising' only because this is my first Honda/Acura product and had no expectations or experience with them going into it but of course hoped it would be reliable and that's how it's turned out to be so far.

I was thinking the same as I drove back from an Acura dealer this morning - i.e., the quality going downhill and not sure I would purchase Honda / Acura again.

Having been a Honda F1 fan (since 80's) and having driven Hondas / Acuras since late 80's, starting with a rock-solid Accord, my personal experience with my wife's 2014 MDX has been disappointing.

Basically, ZERO mechanical issues with my past Hondas / Acuras, yet this 2014 MDX has had numerous visits to the dealer (thank god, I bought an extended warranty) to:
1) replace front wheel bearings,
2) additional padding in drive side door due to shuddering noise - still exists,
3) battery replaced in less than 3 years,
4) "software update" to mitigate RPM "hunting" (RPM randomly moving between 1200-1500 even with a constant pressure to the pedal),
5) torque converter / tranny grinding noise when slowly accelerating (95% gone with 3x3 tranny fluid flush),
6) infamous high pressure fuel pump chirping / replacement,
7) AC compressor / pulley replaced at 15K miles,
8) engine module reprogrammed / engine valve adjusted at 11K miles, etc.
Hope this list stops here :-)

According to a friend who works for a subsidiary of ExxonMobil in R&D tranny fluids, oils etc., the "younger generation" of Honda engineers seems to be more interested in innovation rather than reliability (if you watch Formula 1 races, you know how "reliable" Honda engines have been over last few years). In any case, I feel terrible for nhhiep and I would do that same ;-)
Priscillababy likes this.

Currently:
2014 Acura MDX: 65000 miles
2015 Subaru Outback 2.5i: 55000 miles

Previous Family Acura / Honda vehicles:
2012 Honda Pilot
1995 "Honda" Legend Coupe (RHD in Japan)
1990 Acura Legend Coupe
1989 Acura Integra
1988 Honda Accord

Meaning no offense - the quest to make things lighter, all wear out about the same time, invent new features has pushed all products to less reliability than before in some areas, and better reliability in others. If you looked at a 5-year old car in the mid-west 30 years ago it had rust bubbles and possibly even missing metal. Today with cars super protected with other metals like zinc baths, that is not common. Paints lost their luster much quicker back then. Today's paints flow to fill in imperfections. All that said, I am 68 and worked with a lot of 20 - 30 year olds in technology at my last career before retirement. Kids today are taught things that horrifies many of us. Logic has a political component and is more what we called philosophy. As an example - on my ACT and SAT I got a perfect score on the logic section. One of the guys was having issues in his logic class so I offered to help tutor him. By today's standards I would get every question wrong. In the old logic if a white man and a black man each had $20 and they donated all their money to a 3rd party they would have none left and the third party would have $40. Today the answer would be that the white man would have $20 from cheating the black man, the black man would have -$20 for money he still owed to a white sleazy guy somewhere who took advantage of him, and the 3rd party would have $5 because he had to pay the state their due share. There is an agenda to everything and people of all races get forgotten in that process. The misguided logic ends up in vehicles and products where the designers decide people would rather have tinted windows than ones that don't rattle. In fact they probably would see windows that rattle from excessive bass as a good thing. Impress your friends by showing you can rattle your doors with your audio system. It becomes a feature. Add to that the way accountants wag companies today - the decisions are made in pennies rather than customer satisfaction. All that said, I have had more than one window crank come off in my hand, or one door lock pull off its threads in the 70's and 80's. I really think part of the issue with the OP in this thread is he/she expected the car to be able to read his/her mind and avoid doing anything annoying. I hope it works out but I have my doubts.
shortKarateGi likes this.

There is no question the quality has/is going down hill you only need to look at these forums and the other Honda/Acura forums! They are following suit like the appliance manufacturers shrinking warranty coverage and stringing the purchasers along until such time that you need to bring lawyers into the picture to get your car repaired properly! We have been seeing or hearing more displeasure from car buyers over the past 10 years and increasingly so the past 3-5 yrs. People are becoming more and more fed up with how their being "handled'" by the dealerships and the run around they are getting! Nmhiep is just one of many that are tired of the treatment and is actually doing something about it! It makes no difference if the vehicle is luxury or not, if it isn't work they need to fix it or replace it!

Keep in mind the decision to add crap to the vehicle which is not needed is the manufacturers choice! They only do it so that they receive their credits from the Govt over EPA and "potential" safety feature that in cases cause further issues. Holding the dealership and manufacturers accountable for their products are what warranties are for! Too many are getting the run around and lied too by the dealerships and if you are prepared to be treated in such a manner than you will be! You can only be tolerant for so long and individuals are starting to say enough of this sort of treatment especially on new vehicle purchases which is costing them $$$ out of their own pockets that they are not responsible for! Don't give the guy a bad wrap because he actually did something about his concerns when so many say nothing and go with what they are told.

After experiencing the Acura experience first hand and reading about it here the past 10 years i am not sure how one could become a repeat purchaser especially the past 3-5 years which have been revealing as a brand.
Priscillababy likes this.

I feel ya OP. Been driving Honda fam products since MY87 and boy... feels like I bought into an American car company now lol. Really awkward moments sometimes when my best buddy's Audi that is almost a decade old now has less issues than my 5 year old Acura haha. Also my Genesis was less of a hassle as well... at least Hyundai stepped up and actively tried to fix things rather than telling me "it's normal" because the dealership said so. And in all of the V6 Honda products I've owned, the trannies have failed me. I'm also still daily driving a beater Toyota product that's now 13 years old. I actually expected that to fall apart faster because of the price segment, but nope... I should probably learn from my past haha.

Oh word of advice.. if you ever consider Subaru, they're just as much of a pain in the ass in terms of broken parts hahaha (but easy to DIY like Honda products are). Subarus are really still majority Nissans in Paul Bunyan shells.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement