Maintenance Minder look-ahead - Acura MDX Forum : Acura MDX SUV Forums
 2Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Unread 1 Week Ago Thread Starter
BGK

Maintenance Minder look-ahead

I have the 2017 Hybrid model, with 30K miles on it.

I’m relatively new to Honda products, and haven’t spent a lot of time with the maintenance minder. One thing that I would like to be able to do is to look ahead and see when my transmission is going to need a fluid change.

I see in the MID that the next maintenance minder service is a B1 (hasn’t gone off yet). That is not a code that requires transmission service.

So, is there any way to look further ahead and see approximately when this transmission will be due for service? I don’t see anything in the manual that lays out a maintenance schedule.

This car has the dual clutch transmission, and it seems to be getting a bit rough at low speeds, rougher than usual. So I am wondering how soon it might be due for service.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unfortunately there is not a way to look beyond the next service. Strange that it isn't tripping the trans service code, but Honda may have advanced the MM to call for the trans service based on type of miles driven (the same as it calculates oil life) vs just calling for it based on time or miles. If you are getting some shift quality issues I would log it as a complaint with your dealer and not be surprised if the first thing they recommend is a fluid service (not covered by warranty of course) before they pursue any other solution. The reason for logging the complaint rather than just requesting a fluid service is to cover the possibility of another issue existing. That way if you experience an issue after you are out of warranty you can refer back to the complaint.

2007 MDX Tech Billet Silver
2007 Honda Odyssey EX-L Nav/Res
30+ Years Automotive & Related Industry Experience

Garage
BGK, You might want to take a look at TSB-19-004. My 2017 Hybrid was also shifting strange, like a power surge. I had the TSB done and it seems better.

TSB 19-004 - 2014-19 RLX Sport Hybrid and 2017-19 MDX Sport Hybrid: Transmission Judders, Shudders, or Surges While Driving
Applies To: 2017-19 MDX Sport Hybrid - ALL

GrebRL '06 RL, '17 MDX Sport Hybrid

Just do a trans fluid and diff fluid change every year or twice a year and change your oil at 5k or close to whatever Blackstone recommends.

Certainly no problem doing the trans. service before the minder tells you. Spec. is 3.7 qts of DW-1 fluid, list price about $8 a quart.

2014 SH-AWD TECH
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Unread 6 Days Ago Thread Starter
BGK

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrebRL View Post
BGK, You might want to take a look at TSB-19-004. My 2017 Hybrid was also shifting strange, like a power surge. I had the TSB done and it seems better.

TSB 19-004 - 2014-19 RLX Sport Hybrid and 2017-19 MDX Sport Hybrid: Transmission Judders, Shudders, or Surges While Driving
Applies To: 2017-19 MDX Sport Hybrid - ALL
I'll bet this is the problem. Made an appointment with the dealer tomorrow to have them diagnose and fix it. "Judders, shudders, surges", yeah. Hard to describe, but those words generally fit. It is less of a shifting problem than a low-speed, subtle bucking effect that almost makes me think that it is in the road surface. But then the engine goes off and the electric motors come on and things get smooth. It is also faintly reminiscent of the normal, small jerks that this tranny has when going in and out of the driveway, so it is pretty clear that this is where the problem is. This is my wife's daily driver. The first time I drove it in the past few weeks it almost didn't register with me. Then yesterday I drove it again and had a chance to investigate and realized that there is a problem.

Thank you.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Unread 6 Days Ago Thread Starter
BGK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluepill View Post
Certainly no problem doing the trans. service before the minder tells you. Spec. is 3.7 qts of DW-1 fluid, list price about $8 a quart.
The TSB is about pre-mature fluid wear-out. So if the diagnosis is that the car needs the TSB a fluid change will be included.

DW-1 3.7 quarts. You are referring to the DCT, not the regular ZF right? I have been wondering about doing this job myself. I did it myself on my 2015 MDX 6-speed, no-brainer. But I have been reading about the fancy procedure involved with the new ZF, and wondering if the DCT service procedure is similar or is simple like my 2015. Have you serviced the DCT?

Incidentally, I had a 5-Series BMW that called for all of this temperature controlled stuff. I ignored it and did the old fashioned way - put fluid in, run through the gears, get it warm, etc. I sold the car at 260K miles and the transmission was perfect. Transmissions are fussy things, but I wonder how crucial it is to have the exact fluid volume that goes with these precise temperature specifications.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Unread 6 Days Ago Thread Starter
BGK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardude2000 View Post
Just do a trans fluid and diff fluid change every year or twice a year and change your oil at 5k or close to whatever Blackstone recommends.
I change the fluids at the intervals specified by the people who designed the car. I do use full synthetic oil and a quality filter because the price difference is small when I do my own work. I have 50 years of following manufacturer recommendations and have never been burned.
carli123 likes this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGK View Post
DW-1 3.7 quarts. You are referring to the DCT, not the regular ZF right? I have been wondering about doing this job myself. I did it myself on my 2015 MDX 6-speed, no-brainer. But I have been reading about the fancy procedure involved with the new ZF, and wondering if the DCT service procedure is similar or is simple like my 2015. Have you serviced the DCT?
Hybrid DCT per 2017 Acura Hybrid Owner's Manual.

I have no info on the procedure.

2014 SH-AWD TECH
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Quote:
I change the fluids at the intervals specified by the people who designed the car. I do use full synthetic oil and a quality filter because the price difference is small when I do my own work. I have 50 years of following manufacturer recommendations and have never been burned
I could've written the identical response. There's no need to artificially shorten all the intervals. There are some people who still think oil s/b changed every 3K miles whether it's needed or not (it's not). I follow the manufacturer recommended intervals. They actually have some skin in the game with warranty costs if there's an issue and if anything are biasing the intervals in their favor with a safety margin.

I say this as a person who does my own maintenance and who keeps vehicles a long time. My last SUV (Durango) I donated after 235K miles and it was going strong with the original engine and trans.

Does the MID also tells when to flush brake fluid or just change it every 3 years as per Acura .

Does the owners manual has the suggested internal for brake , trans and front/rear .

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdxstang View Post
Quote:
Quote:
I change the fluids at the intervals specified by the people who designed the car. I do use full synthetic oil and a quality filter because the price difference is small when I do my own work. I have 50 years of following manufacturer recommendations and have never been burned
I could've written the identical response. There's no need to artificially shorten all the intervals. There are some people who still think oil s/b changed every 3K miles whether it's needed or not (it's not). I follow the manufacturer recommended intervals. They actually have some skin in the game with warranty costs if there's an issue and if anything are biasing the intervals in their favor with a safety margin.

I say this as a person who does my own maintenance and who keeps vehicles a long time. My last SUV (Durango) I donated after 235K miles and it was going strong with the original engine and trans.
Do you follow the regular maintenance schedule or severe service? I can't imagine doing bare minimum service especially driving in 95% city traffic and driving to redline often.

Hi, I bought a CPO 2015 with 32,000 miles. I asked the dealer if they change all the fluids. They said no, unless they feel it is necessary. I scheduled a transmission fluid change and asked if they change all 12 quarts at that time. They said no, that is not until 60,000 miles -- this is just a 4 quart drain and fill.

Since I do my own maintenance, I changed the transmission, transfer case, rear differential and brake fluids. Again the dealer said "unless they feel it is necessary". All the fluids were brown like used motor oil which is different than the new fluids. When I say brown, that is no exaggeration.

With all that said and from my experience, 30,000 miles is a change all the fluids point - either DIY or dealer.
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Unread 5 Days Ago Thread Starter
BGK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardude2000 View Post
Do you follow the regular maintenance schedule or severe service? I can't imagine doing bare minimum service especially driving in 95% city traffic and driving to redline often.
“Bare minimum” seems to me like a misnomer, given that the onboard computer is constantly observing the driving conditions and driving style, and is making its recommendation on the basis of same. The idea that city driving or some intermittent hard driving is “severe service” - so we need to change fluids at some arbitrary, more-frequent interval - defeats much of the idea of having a car with fact-based maintenance schedule.

Why would we want to waste our money and the planet’s resources by having our own, arbitary schedule for fluids? What do we know that makes us more qualified than the design engineers, to say what is required for an appropriate maintenance schedule?

When I am in Minnesota I am told “severe service” because it gets cold in the winter. When I am in Arizona I am told “severe service” because it gets hot in the summer. Before I buy the car the sales people want me to believe that this is the most reliable device that there ever was. After I buy the car the service people want me to believe that backing it out of my garage comprises “severe service”. Yes, there are some truly “severe service” conditions, such as towing. But overwhelmingly, they are peddling FUD, unsupportable nonsense.
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Unread 5 Days Ago Thread Starter
BGK

Quote:
Originally Posted by dovermdx View Post
Hi, I bought a CPO 2015 with 32,000 miles. I asked the dealer if they change all the fluids. They said no, unless they feel it is necessary. I scheduled a transmission fluid change and asked if they change all 12 quarts at that time. They said no, that is not until 60,000 miles -- this is just a 4 quart drain and fill.

Since I do my own maintenance, I changed the transmission, transfer case, rear differential and brake fluids. Again the dealer said "unless they feel it is necessary". All the fluids were brown like used motor oil which is different than the new fluids. When I say brown, that is no exaggeration.

With all that said and from my experience, 30,000 miles is a change all the fluids point - either DIY or dealer.
Follow the money. I am betting that when they are paying for the maintenance they give you one answer and when you are paying for the maintenance the answer might be quite different.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement